1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for an AV Novice?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dtl4882, Oct 11, 2005.

1. dtl4882

dtl4882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys.

Im new to the AV scene and was hoping you help with the following.

I have just got my own place and I am currently putting up with a 15" TV which is driving me mad.

Im looking for a bit of advice on getting a flat screen LCD/Plasma for the front room.

I have got about 2K to spend and would appreciate any advice/recomendations you could offer.

Im not clued up with the technology but I have found the reference pages on here quite helpful so am gonna print these off and read them (still waiting for net access at home)

I would really like a decent size with good picture/sound quality and HD ready.

Thanks in advance.

D

2. dtl4882

dtl4882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can no one help me out?

3. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Theres nothing worse than chasing people up for advice half and hour after your initial post for help. :nono: Patience is a vertu....

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  5. kam03

kam03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  6. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I doubt you would notice any difference between 5ms and 8ms lcd screens response time are only part of it.

7. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I would personally not recommend the Samsung, especially with that budget. I would say that the samsung is a middle-range screen, wheras you can buy a higher-end screen with that amount of money.

It all depends what you plan to view on the set, what your viewing distance would be etc.

[​IMG]

You could get a really nice 32" Philips LCD - the 32PF9830, which has very advanced picture processing, and other technologies such as Ambilight to reduce eye-strain, and a motorized stand to let you angle the screen for the best viewing position if you move around the room. This television is around £1940.

[​IMG]

You could also look at a nice 37" Sharp "Titanium" LCD - the LC37GD7E. Again, this has some nice processing (but not as much as the Philips) and is very nicely styled. You're getting more screen size for your money, but not as many features, like the ambilight. This set is around £1915.

[​IMG]

If you're wanting something big, the Sony KDLV40A12U is a 40" LCD television, and within your budget. This one has a lot of picture processing as well, although with a Samsung panel in there, it may not look quite as nice as the others. (but Sony's WEGA Engine does a fantastic job) It is a bit lacking with inputs though, it doesn't have VGA for example, which is a must if you have plans on connecting up a PC for browsing the internet on it etc. Around £1995

[​IMG]

If you only ever plan on watching standard definition content such as Sky/Cable/Freeview, and DVDs, with no intention of buying HD-DVD / BluRay / Sky HD, then the Sharp P50 series will be the best choice for you. The LC37P50E is not a HD panel, but that's a good thing in a way, as it means that SD content will look best on it. It is capable of displaying HD images though, but has to "downscale" to display them on the screen. It does a fantastic job though, and if the primary use for your television isn't/won't be for HD, then it's definitely one to consider. HD isn't going to be big in the UK for some time yet, unless you're a gamer, and unless you're an early adopter, you might find that by the time HD becomes widespread, you'll be wanting to upgrade your television anyway. As it is a lower resolution panel, this one's a bargain at £1260.

These are the displays that I would be considering with that budget, and I'd be leaning towards the Sharp ones personally. If I wasn't a gamer, I'd probably be going with one of the P50 screens myself. (I'm currently trying to get a refund for my 32" Samsung after a lot of problems)

Everyone who has had a Samsung and gone to a "higher-end" display, for whatever reason (often not being happy with the Samsung picture) has said that their new display "ghosts/blurs" a lot less. :)

The Samsung is a good display with HD content, but its processing leaves a lot to be desired if your primary content is Sky/Cable/Freeview.

I have not personally compared these sets yet, but plan to get a 26" variant of one of these. Regardless of which you choose from this list, you won't be disappointed.

8. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174

D

Have a look at this thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251940

The Panasonic will cost you about £1400 - if you can find it in stock anywhere. If your budget is £2k, then why not couple the telly with an all-in-one home cinema system - say the Denon DHT500SD (you'll get this online for circa £500-£600). If you're buying a decent flat panel, be it lcd or plasma, then you should really have a decent sound system to match. The inbuilt speakers on the Panasonic are very good but are no match for a separate system.

Hope this helps. :smashin:

Matt

9. ehr

ehr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you get a 42". LCD screens is one area where size does matter.

10. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    As my Mrs has always said, size doesn't really matter - she is more than happy with 32". Personally I would go for a 42" but my living room would be swamped, and the price of a 42" LCD - the quality of which matches the LXD500 - would be prohibitive. If budget were not an issue then I would go for the Pioneer436XDE (circa £2400); however after spending nearly £2.5k on dvd/amp/and speakers there was no way I could push the Mrs to spend the same again on the panel, I was amazed that I got away with spending £1400 on the Panny500 :smashin:

11. ehr

ehr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. dtl4882

dtl4882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    half an hour?....

1st Post - 11-10-2005 03:54 PM
    2nd Post - 14-10-2005 04:29 PM

I make it 3 days???...

Thanks fo the other advice guys, I'll have a good scan through it all on my dinner.

13. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174

14. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Go and have a look yourself if hd a priority save money and get 40" samsung lcd if not look at panny sd plasmas red

15. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd just like to say that that is a great post to help out a newbie.

16. dtl4882

dtl4882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really appreciate the replies and suggestions guys. Especially the time Andrewfee has taken with his.

I definately want to be HD ready for gaming and TV when its released next year and want to hook up a good set of speakers to the unit and DVD player, possibly at a later date based on funds.

I measured up last night and the viewing distance I'm gonna have from the TV will be minimum 6ft. What would be the recommended size based on this?

17. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

You seem to be open to suggestions of plasmas as well so have you checked out the plasma forum?

I was originally in the market for a 32" LCD and ended up buying a 42" plasma :eek: I am not saying either is better just do your research - i spent a week or so going through different threads :boring: but it was worth it. :smashin:

Good luck :thumbsup:

18. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    As these are higher end displays, I would recommend a 32" set for 6ft.

With the lower-end screens I'd sit further back though; I find 6ft looks a bit poor on my Samsung 32" (which is being replaced by an LC32GD7E as soon as I get a refund)

19. SYNCHRO_MAN

SYNCHRO_MAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Bought Pioneer 436 xde 4 weeks ago after weeks of demos reading forums and the like.totally amazed with the picture quality,one thing to be said though the screen is only as good as what you put into it signal wise and dvd player and cables.
    Still adjusting the set as there is a lot you can do with it it`s great fun.
    Another thing to remember is to check on burn in timesfor screens as the literature you get does not tell you.Pioneer have a great back up via their web site. I used them a lot before buying the plasma.In my opinion possibly the best plasma you can get for the money by a long shot.
    Hope this helps you a little.

:smashin: