Help for a voip novice

jamiesalter

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been looking through the previous threads trying to figure out voip - with no success.

Ok, is the following possible:

Having voip phones (and some voip adapters) that all connect to my network and the PSTN landline. I'm thinking that i'll need dual line phones (if its possible) so one line of each phone goes to the network and the other goes to the PSTN line.

Therefore, if someone rings the PSTN line, all the phones ring, and if someone rings the voip line, all the phones ring as well. But also that each phone can phone out using either the PSTN line, or the voip line. (ie. PSTN in emergencys, but otherwise voip)

Furthermore, that the phones can phone each other. So if i'm on one side of the house (and am too lazy to walk and talk to someone at the other), I can just type an extension (or something) into the phone and phone another phone in the house for free.

My questions are:

Firstly, is all this possible?

Secondly, if it is, what equipment do I need?

Thank you,

Jamie Salter

Yes, just connect a Sipura 3000 to your network and your landline, then connect a DECT base station to the Sipura 3000.....

Is there a way to do this without having to use only DECT phones?

So i would be able to buy a dual line ip phone and plug it into the network and pots line in various places around the house. Then for phones which aren't ip capable i plug into an adapter like the spa 3000.

Would this still work and do everything suggested in the first post?

Cheers,

Jamie Salter

Hmm no, that is not quite the same as what I replied to in your first post.....If you have a multiline VOIP phone, you will only have that number on that one phone...That's why I suggested something like the Sipura 3000 which is basically the Voipfone but is dependend on old style devices...

So you get your landline number and a Voip number, both go through the Sipura and thus everything that is connected to the Sipura will ring....Whether you connect DECT or a series of normal analogue wired phones I'll leave that to your imagination.....

Sorry, i'm being slow.

Will all phones will have to connect directly into the sipura? So I can't connect the sipura at one place on the network, and then connect voip phones at another (ie. there isn't a direct link between them)?

Also, will I have to have multiple SPA-3000's for each analogue phone i want to connect?

Sorry, i'm just a bit confused.

Thanks for all your help

The best way of looking at it is that the Sipura IS the VOIP phone...What an ATA adapter which the Sipura is does is allow you to use a normal analoque phone to connect to it...So...

Ethernet (Voip) -> Sipura
Landline (POTS) -> Sipura

Sipura -> Normal telephone

All incomming calls will then go through the Sipura and go to all phones connected to the sipura.....No you don't need multiple sipura's for each analogue phone, unless you want to have more than one phone call at the same time.....So the easiest would be to connect a DECT base station directly into the Sipura then any DECT phone connected to the base station can receive/make phone calls using either VoIP or normal landline....If you don't want DECT phones, then intercept the landline after your broadband router before you split it for multiple extensions around your property and then each phone plugged in the wall becomes part of the system....But remember one phone call at the time....You can then configure the Sipura to do things like least cost routing and automatically use Voip for more expensive calls and vice-versa....

Thanks for the reply - you've cleared alot of stuff up for me.

However I still have a couple of last questions.

Firstly, will I be able to do calling between the phones connected to the sipura?

Secondly, would I be able to add an ip phone and not connect it to the sipura, but only to the ethernet network. Therefore it rings when the voip number is called, and can call out through the voip number. Also that any of the phones connected to the sipura can call the ip phone and vice versa?

Thanks again for all your help,

Jamie Salter

jamiesalter said:
Thanks for the reply - you've cleared alot of stuff up for me.
jamiesalter said:
Firstly, will I be able to do calling between the phones connected to the sipura?
No, not unless they are DECT phones as the DECT standard does allow it, but normal wired phones won't let you do that...

jamiesalter said:
Secondly, would I be able to add an ip phone and not connect it to the sipura, but only to the ethernet network. Therefore it rings when the voip number is called, and can call out through the voip number. Also that any of the phones connected to the sipura can call the ip phone and vice versa?
Yes, you can do that indeed.....I've got a normal Voip phone connected straight into my network which basically give me an extra line....In that scenario you would have three lines of which two conversations can occur at the same time....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom