Help for a TV newb. Distorted blacks/only 8bit on a 10bit tv/ greyed out modes..

DoorFace1

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Samsung Q60 55" and am having trouble making it work..
First off I was hoping to use the TV mostly as a monitor and watch streamed content on a bigger screen but have been having some issues.

1. A bunch of settings don't seem to be available in the settings menu, when its plugged into my computer only the most basic, brightness/backlight/contrast are available, in tv mode a couple more are available but a lot are still not. Does using the TV as a monitor limit all these settings?
Also when I am looking at my display settings it has everything right but says its running at 8bit.. it is a 10bit TV though! So what is the conflict? Am I not seeing the whole spectrum?

2. If I stream off amazon or netflix it looks terrible, blacks look like pixelated distortion and yellows look blown out and weird.. If I watch through the app using as a TV properly the blacks look ok but....

3. ....in regular tv mode the motion looks all soap opera like. In the options I can turn down auto motion plus settings like jitter and smoothing but it either looks weirdly fluid or very stuttery. What gives? How can my LG 144hz monitor just be plugged in and everything looks fine without tweaking?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom