1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a thicko

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ROY_H, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ROY_H

ROY_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm new to the LCD TV scene, but interested in the Philips 32PF9986. Can anyone explain, does it accept prog. scan component or not. I bought my Denon 2200 DVD specifically with the aim of a future upgrade to a prog. scan TV.
    I can't seem to get a clear answer from any of the reviews or forum inputs regarding this.

Thanks

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy, I don't own one (went for a Sharp instead) but from memory, it's a yes on both counts. HTH :)

Jud

3. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, just checked the Philips site here 32PF9986 spec looks like its progressive vis DVI. sorry! :rolleyes:

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The late models take progressive component via the analogue circuits of the DVI-I input. You need to be looking for V2 or greater of the firmware that enables the component input. Philips supply cables to connect component to DVI-I. What the quality is like, I have no idea. It all sounds a bit of an after thought so component may not have been optimised for quality.

There is another (long) thread that goes into this in great detail. Basically, the gist is that quite a few people got shipped the non V2+ version and couldn't get component to work. The clue was no component -> DVI-I cable was shipped in the box. To get the functionality of the earlier boxes enabled, the sets are having to be returned for upgrade. All credit to Philips, this appears to be FOC.

So if you do purchase, ensure you get >= V2 firmware.

-Ian