• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help For A Novice Wanting To Stream Media!!

dazza1304

Established Member
Thanks for taking the time to read my request for help!!

I would like to explore my options for streaming media from my Imac to my home cinema setup.

Initially, I thought I only wanted to stream audio and pics, but after reading these forums, I am thinking of maybe allowing for streaming of video i.e copying dvds to hard drive and streaming from there.

Can anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive way of achieving this - maybe in an upgrade path - a basic system to stream music/pics, and then when funds allow for larger drive, streaming the dvds.

Your help would be much appreciated!!!

dazza1304

Established Member
apple Tv since you are an Imac owner would beth obvious route to go.

I would if it was as good as is in the US, but pretty primitive here?

I've been thinking about popcorn and myihome?

What do you think experts?

chris57

Prominent Member
Works great for me streaming via wired connection from PC to the Popcorn (PCH) via Myihome. myihome doesnt do iso files, will do video_ts folders, so you will need a SMB share if you go the iso route as opposed to video_ts folders.

There are some pictures of some PCH users setups over at the networkmediatank forums, quite impressive.

Leigh_1973

Established Member
I would if it was as good as is in the US, but pretty primitive here?

I've been thinking about popcorn and myihome?

What do you think experts?

You can stream a lot more than you think with the Apple TV, take a look in the mac forum :smashin:

dazza1304

Established Member
You can stream a lot more than you think with the Apple TV, take a look in the mac forum :smashin:

Been having a look around and maybe I shouldn't discount apple TV.

Will it definitely provide 5.1 sound output from ripped dvd's - I seem to have found conflicting statements re this.

Also, if the DVD has multiple audio formats i.e dolby digital and dts, can you select which soundtrack you want?

Cynar

Prominent Member
I've actually got an AppleTV and have also purchased a PopcornHour.

In my opinion the AppleTV is great for music and pictures. The iPod like interface is superb and it just works flawlessly.

However, for video purposes I think it's really poor with very limited codec support, and it's not capable of anything more than 1080i.
DVD's ripped with the latest version of handbrake will play with DD5.1 sound (not DTS) but I found the process slow and it sometimes caused sound and picture glitches.

It can apparently be hacked to increase it's capabilities and play more video formats, but when I tried it was very flaky and nothing really worked. It may be because I'd just updated to the latest software version and I don't think the hacks had been updated to support it, but I don't want to have to keep mucking about with it every time a new firmware comes out.

The PopcornHour is just the opposite - music and pictures are poorly supported as the interface is awful compared to the AppleTV.
Video however works like a dream. It supports virtually every file format and codec you can think of and it's played near enough everything I've thrown at it from DVD's ripped to iso to downloaded mkvs brilliantly. It supports Full HD 1080p and above and will apparently play BluRay too.

To summarise, I don't think either device is a great all round media streamer, but the two together do everything I could wish for.

dazza1304

Established Member
Thanks for that!

I'm starting to think Apple TV again, as the interface seems nice and my immediate need is music and pics, video longer term.

The resolution is not really a problem, because my amp has a very good upscaler, and I would use that to upscale to 1080p anyway.

So can anyone give some good recommendation for Apple TV re video streaming?

qwales

Established Member
I've been using a Pinnacle Showcenter for years, If you are not interested in HD you can get one for about £25 second hand. They have Optical, S Vid, Scart, Wireless G, RGB outputs. They are not perfect but are really good. Picture quality using S vid to my projecor is awsome and the optical out to my surround amp works a treat. You can show pics, films or music. The latest High Def model is about £130 new although I can't vouch for it, yet.

dazza1304

Established Member
I've been using a Pinnacle Showcenter for years, If you are not interested in HD you can get one for about £25 second hand. They have Optical, S Vid, Scart, Wireless G, RGB outputs. They are not perfect but are really good. Picture quality using S vid to my projecor is awsome and the optical out to my surround amp works a treat. You can show pics, films or music. The latest High Def model is about £130 new although I can't vouch for it, yet.

Thanks - but just opted for an Apple TV - will post my thoughts when receive and had bit of a play!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom