Help for a Novice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jdcampbell, Jan 17, 2002.

1. jdcampbell

jdcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering my first foray into Home Cinema. I am thinking of buying a Toshiba 32ZP18P and complementing this with a home cinema setup. I had been thinking of buying a Sony all-in-one, like the DAVS500 or 800. However I went into Overture HI-FI in Banbury at the weekend and they briefly played me some film & music based on a Harmon Kardon DVD10, HK AV4000 and Infinity Speakers (I don’t remember the model name, speaker package cost £500). It sounded so much better than the Sony, which is unsurprising given the total package cost of around £1200.

However it prompts me to ask the question about whether to spend the equivalent amount of money the Sony systems would cost (£500-£700) on Separates.

EG: Marantz 4200 Receiver £270, Toshiba SD210 £170, Speakers??

How would this kind of setup compare to the Sony all-in-one and the above HK system? What speakers would people recommend? (Bear in mind that I would need as inconspicuous speakers as possible). I would also be using this for CD replay, but I am not really an avid listener to music so I am not after perfection.

Why are all the receivers so large? Is there a good, more compact receiver around (that would complement the Pioneer DVD545 for instance?).

Any help would be much appreciated by this novice.

Doug

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its not what you are asking, but as the owner of a Tosh 32ZP18P, I'd advise you to steer clear of this model, at least until Toshiba resolve the 'features' (if they can be bothered).

If you haven't already, you'd better read the "All TOSHIBA 36 & 32 ZP18 OWNERS" thread on the televisions forum.

John

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Above £400ish there are always better sounding separates than all in one systems with the disadvantage that they are not normally as pretty to look at.

Your amp / DVD suggestions are good and for speakers have a look at the Mission set that Richer Sounds are selling for £400 reduced from £800.

This will take you a little over budget but isn't that what budgets are for !!

The Sony DAV system will produce acceptable surround sound whilst the above will put a smile on your face as well.

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi there,

I agree, with Ian on that the Sony DAV is good until u hear a seperates system. My dad has a davs-500 system and it is very good, especially if u are a first timer and don't have the time to shop for separates.

My own setup, having heard it demonstrated is a Marantz S4200, mission 77 cinema package (on order), total cost was £655. Just a touch more than the DAV, but will give u better value.

I swear by Tosh dvd players, i have an 2 year old 2109 model, and pic quality is so good, im reluctant to upgrade for a while.

Cant understand about tosh tvs, im on my second, lates being zd model and have never had a problem! DVD palyback i think is the best (and better than my dads Sony 32FQ and mates Hitatchi), had my tv for 3 months now and its getting better. Still u gotta listen to what the people say.

5. jdcampbell

jdcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission packages don't seem to have a subwoofer. Is this an issue?

When are subs appropriate and when not?

Doug

6. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The 77 package does not, but as i have had a demo of it, i decided that it is quite substantial (the bass) without the need for a subwoofer.

However its an option, and it only really becomes an issue when its regarding your personal taste. But thats the whole things about seperates, options to add, change, upgrade etc.

Oh yeah the sony dav has no scart output

7. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got small effects speakers (like them little Bose things), then a sub is an absolute must.

If you've got big speakers than can handle plenty of bass, then it's not absolutely essential. However, DD and DTS 5.1 are designed to work with a sub and just about any system will sound better with one.

Just my opinion.

John

8. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    U are talking about the sub/satellite systems (and avoid Bose not a good word about them on this Forum). The mission packages (cinema series ) work quite well without the subwoofer, and are musically good as well. The sub is always included on the smaller satellite systems as it produces the deep lows smaller speakers can't reach. However larger front speakers will have as woofer and tweeter unit, nothing beats a sperate sub, but with certain pakages you'll find its not as essential as u may have been led to believe, trust your ears.

9. jdcampbell

jdcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the requirement for non-intrusive speakers I am now thinking about the Mission FS2AV units.

Are these going to be any good for CD music as well as Home Cinema?

Doug

10. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I suggest u do a search on them on this forum, not heard much about them, not heard bad things anyway (always a good sign), good luck.