Help for a Newbie

Hi guys;Paid a visit to JL today to check out a TV to accompany Sony Dav S550 all in one system.
One of the reasons for going was the unavailability of the Panasonic TX-32 DT30.

However,another confusing factor for me was the sales advice given to me which was buy a 50HZ T.V as watching sports via 100hz TV was not so good.
As this is one of my primary interests obviously some concern and would welcome views.
I`ll trawl through forum as this must have been the subject of some debate I would imagine.

In addition I now have to find a suitable T.V.+ any advise again would be welcome.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ibrox
However,another confusing factor for me was the sales advice given to me which was buy a 50HZ T.V as watching sports via 100hz TV was not so good.

This is what i was trying to advise earlier

Originally posted by lynx have a good look at a 100hz set with a digital signal as they are not to everyones taste.100hz proccessing can be very artificial at times, Sky and football can be a good example of this.Personaly, i wouldn't bother too much with this.
;)

Thanks again for use of your time Lynx.
You did indeed forewarn about sports so now I`m looking for a 50HZ with Nicam to accompany the suggested all in one sound system.

Sorry for problems I`m causing.Cheers.

Thanks Boingo for the cabling advice and also the best Sony Sound System.
I do have Sky digital so it is option 2 cabling I would require .
I bought 2 basic scart cables when I got my present TV so perhaps that would take care of the 2 basic scarts to which you refer but I`m not too fussed about the £30 so perhaps start afresh.?

Just the T.V bits + pieces to sort out now.Ta again.

The basic scarts you already have will be fine for your use as video isn't the best picture quality anyway.

That'll save some cash! :clap:

As for 50Hz vs 100Hz, I feel that 100Hz is only really needed on 36 inch TVs because flicker is more noticeable then, so more cash you can save there by avoiding 100Hz! :clap: :clap:

And you're right, 100Hz can look a lot worse on sport because the TV cannot process the fast moving images fast enough.

See, you originally told us you couldn't tell the difference between one TV or another. Now you're becoming one of us already! ;)

ps. If money is tight for the cables, Vivanco and Profigold are apparently a couple of good brands too which I forgot to mention. They cost a little bit less as well.
Also, the cables don't all need to be from the same manufacteror.

pps. Once you have bought everything, post again and I/we can advise you on the best way to set it all up to get the maximum quality from your new purchase. Then you can sit back and feel smug because you'll have a better set-up TV than most of the Joe Public, including ones who have spent far more money than you! :D

Thanks Boingo;
Though I`m catching on I`m probably going to ask a really basic question which is the number of scarts needed on the T.V.

Reading through the threads I noted that the Philipps 32PW 6506 was a 50Hz T.V + stand with a good write up from one of the guys especially clarity of picture.

Sounds the job but has 2 scarts and noticed lots of T.V`s have 3 so now I`m thinking this telly would not be compatible with the all in one.?

If this T.V is a good choice then the TV would cost £605 + £255 for the sound system and cables and £75 /£90 for cables which is bang on my budget.

Re-The actual fitting up of the system I will come back and ask your advice but personally I have mobility problems so won`t be doing the actual work.

However,hopefully my daughters partner will be able to take advantage of your helpful offer.

Grateful again for all the assistance.

Thanks Boingo;
Though I`m catching on I`m probably going to ask a really basic question which is the number of scarts needed on the T.V.

Sounds the job but has 2 scarts and noticed lots of T.V`s have 3 so now I`m thinking this telly would not be compatible with the all in one.?

Re-The actual fitting up of the system I will come back and ask your advice but personally I have mobility problems so won`t be doing the actual work.

However,hopefully my daughters partner will be able to take advantage of your helpful offer.

Philips' TVs are excellent and provide a very good picture. Plus, Philips tend to make the actual tubes for a lot of another brands.

I used to sell a Philips 28" model where I once worked and the picture quality was excellent especially the colour reproduction.

Don't worry too much about the scarts. Two will do, and there are a couple of ways around the lack of a third scart.

One would be to get a scart doubler, which shouldn't cost more than £20.

The other would be to buy seperate S-video and 2-phono to 2-phono cables (instead of the one scart to s-video/2phono cable). This would be similar price,but the s-video cable would likely have to plug into the front or side of the TV which is a bit unsightly.

Getting a scart doubler would be a better and neater solution.

When I tell you how to connect it all up, I'll make it all very easy for you so no worries there.

Just one more thing I forgot.

If you like listening to the radio and have an external aerial, it's worth spening up to a tenner buying an aerial lead (if you don't have a spare) connecting the Sony DAV's FM radio to the wall.

A lot better than the thin wire supplied and worth it for a mere few quid.:)

Oh and nothing to do with your needs, but something to think about once you win the lottery...

http://www.philips.co.uk/Informatio...2376&lNodeId=13&channel=13&channelId=N13A2376

;)

Cheers Boingo;

I do have a radio lead which is currently unused.
I got it when NTL installed a box which I still have connected as part of the basic phone and TV package they gave me.

I don`t use it as I have Sky digital but kept in case I turned to NTL digital as was told that if box removed Ntl would charge for installation of digital but not as an existing customer.

Sorry again to confuse.

Lastly,do I need any anything for the Sony Dav S550 speakers as my wife would not like trailing wires and speakers wall mounted.

I know if speakers put on the ground that I would lose the benefit s of the sound system.
Is there a stand or any other suggestion to sort this?

before you make up your mind, make sure you read the (pixel plus) sticky at the top of the tv menu, it might make you think twice about a philips tv, trust me on this one :p

last thing I want to do is step on anyones toes, but even sets without pixel plus, the philips still get the bars down either side as well as really bad geom settings, bad pixellation,
worst sets I have come across, I have been through six sets, two 36in and Im on my fourth 32in, which is soon to be gone after having had the new fix done
even without pixel plus on them, the picture is terrible.

Also is it sensible to have both devises with the same maker(In this instance Sony.)

Having scanned through this thread I didn't see anyone respond to this question.

I went for a one brand option for my initial AV system. One point which might seem insignificant now, but will make day-to-day use much simpler, is that you'll most likely get a remote control with the all-in-one DVD system which can control your DVD, TV and VCR. Most of the users on this forum are used to having upto 10 remotes on the coffee table :eek: or resorting to programming a learning remote to control all their kit.

While AV nuts like us enjoy this sort of torture (epecially the baffled expression on friends and family when they "just want to watch the bloody news!"), :devil: you'll be ready to chuck the remotes out the window (and the telly!) after 3 days! :D

Owen

good point !
I would go for this option aswell
the bank of remotes always gets a good reaction though :confused:

As everyone on here who has read this thread will realise I am a very simple person with simple tastes.

It is very likely that if there was a minimal problem with a picture which would seem significant to an enthusiast I would not notice.

My main TV interests are sport so my understanding is a 50HZ would be best for this purpose.

My family would enjoy DVD`s(films) and occassionally we have friends round so thought it sensible to have a decent sound system which would incorporate playing music(all in one).

As I have mobility problems I am in the house almost all the time and thought a decent T.V/all in one would bring some pleasure.

The thought of Multi remote controls with multi functions would drive me nuts and also my wife as we can never figure out how to get maximum use out of the equipment even with instructions.

Actually tuning in of the various bits + pieces would be the province of my daughters partner because of my physical problems and secondly I don`t understand the Bu**ers anyway.

Given these set of circumstances should I go for the Phillips 32 PW 6506 and Sony Dav S550 ?

If not I would need to know what specifically should I purchase and also remember my budget of around 1k.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Personally I would go with either an all Sony or all Philips system.

I have Sony gear and you'll find Sony remotes controls are very similar in look and functionality for each component. Once you know one you can work out the others pretty easily. I'd imagine the same can be said for Philips.

The DAV system remote will almost definately work the basic TV controls (on/off, volume, change channels etc.) and very probably a Sony VCR too.

Best bet is to bring your daughters' partner along to help you decide which TV / DVD system seems best. There isn't a massive difference between the big brands these days. It really boils down to personal taste and which system looks and sounds best to you.

hope this helps,
Owen

Thanks Owen;
I had a look at pricerunner and the cheapest 32" Sony 50 HZ I could find was the Sony KV -32LS36S at £650.
In fact all the Sony`s seem to have a superior sound system to Nicam which is all I need.
Doing the sums would be TV £650 + £255 All in one sound system (Sony DAVS 550);Stands 2 pairs about £100,Cables about £100 .
So for just over £1,100 thats me.

I`ll have a look + see what Phillips all in ones are available to see price wise if it would work out cheaper.
Any good ones?

How does my logic stack up.?

I came up with Phillips LX 3000D at £189 but no idea how this compares with Sony DAVS 550.

Maybe somebody could oblige and tell me the best place to get quality cables.

Also I think I`m gonna go for the Phillips T.V with the Sony All In One.There can`t be more than 2/3 remotes.

I`ve got a good deal on the Phillips T.V at Costco with a 3 year warranty and price match the Sony DAVS 550 at JL for just under £270 using Techtronics..£12 cheaper at Indigo but I can arrange pick up at JL very easily and worth the £12.

I can`t see any recommendation for any Phillips all in one sound system and Sony package would be dearer and opinion seems to be that Sony and Phillips are about the same quality.

If I`ve got it wrong please tell me and hope to hear about suitable cable suppliers.

Thanks.

I came up with Phillips LX 3000D at £189 but no idea how this compares with Sony DAVS 550.

I think you can work out with your own logic that a £399 (rrp price) system (the Sony) is going to be better than one costing £189. The Sony won the What Hi-Fi Magazine's home cinema kit of the year award and is highly rated through many magazines.
For me personally, the sound is not quite good or loud enoughbut it's more than adequate than a beginner.

As for the remotes, in the future (not now) consider getting an all-in-one. Argos are doing an One4All touchpad for for just £50!
You could always ask for one as a pressie! ;)

As for cables, Tech:Link do a good range including all the cables you'd need. We sell them in our shop and they are pretty good.
Contact them at their website and ask for your nearest retailer.

http://www.techlink.uk.com

I suspect that Costco will only have cheapo nasty cables and I'm not sure what cables JL has but it's unlikely to be a big range.

If you do see decent-looking cables in JL, tell me what they are and I'll tell you they are any good.

Thanks again Boingo.
I`ll contact the link you put on and find out locally where I can purchase cables.

You know whats coming next I`m going to hold you to your promise on instructions on how to set the package of items up so I`ve a super-dooper T.V and all in one.

There`s some home improvement work due to start shortly so it makes sense not to buy these items till they are complete but should not be too long he said with a smile.

I think my wife wants to change the whole house but she`ll say it`s only because we`ve done Bu**er all for years what do you expect.!!

Hear from you hopefully when suits.
If its technically too difficult should I just get a T.V repair person to set it all up?

If its technically too difficult should I just get a T.V repair person to set it all up?

No he'll only take your money and be in and out like a flash not bothering to set it up properly.

Just ask on here i'm sure you'll be able to get it done better this way.

Adrenochrome.

Ta Adrenonchrome.
Maybe somebody could put up the instructions now and I`ll get the person who is setting up the systems to read them prior to commencement to make sure he understands them or to give the opportunity to ask supplementary questions if there is anything he is unsure about.

Seem sensible!!

Cheers.

Ta Adrenonchrome.
Maybe somebody could put up the instructions now and I`ll get the person who is setting up the systems to read them prior to commencement to make sure he understands them or to give the opportunity to ask supplementary questions if there is anything he is unsure about.

Seem sensible!!

Cheers.

I can do so later this evening.

Stay tuned to this channel!

;)

Thanks Boingo;
Will tune in later.

Also think may be very useful for people in a similar situation as myself as theres probaly loads of people out there not getting best value out of their existing equipment.!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom