1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ibrox, Aug 8, 2003.

1. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must confess to having no idea when it comes to the concept of TV,Dvd`d etc.
    However,I am now in the position that my 9 year old Toshiba 28" is coming to the end of its lifespan and also I have no DVD,my video chucked it about a year ago,and I am being nagged my my family to do something.
    It seemed to me that buying a package would be the cheapest and also quality wise the best way to achieve this.
    So Question 1 is this fact or fiction.?

Secondly and most importantly what product do I chose and where to purchase them.
    I have decided I want a 32" T.V and when I went to my local retail park with the usual outlets like Comet,Curries and Powerhouse the choice seemed to me to be very limited.
    Comet had only a few why the rest one or two at most.

Am I going to the right places.?

So basically I am throwing myself at your mercy and hoping for some advice on these matters.

My budget would probably range from about 1k but if something remarkable was suggested perhaps more.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi ibrox, welcome to the board. I'll move your thread to the television forum, as you may have more chance of a relevant reply there.

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Welcome Ibrox (cool name by the way);)

The best thing to do in Currys etc is to look and decide on a particular tv then search the internet for the best possible price www.pricerunner.com

Now this part is important when you find the best price make sure the company has a walk in shop and the tv is in stock if it is then take this price to John Lewis in Buchanan Galleries and get them to price match it which they will do and also give you a 5 year warranty to boot.

hope this helps

Adrenochrome.

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Also, to get the best out of your new equipment, junk the freebie cables included in the box and spend some more money on decent cables.

If unsure what cables to buy, post again on the forum!

:)

5. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Lynx for welcome,Adrenochrome for advice which I will certainly take cognisance of as appears to be a person of discerning and shrewd judgement(WE ARRA PEEPIL) and also theboingobandit about cables.

To take up on the issues I am afraid I could not tell you a good T.V from an indifferent one and would be wholly reliant on the advice in the leaflets which the retailers provide.
    I notice in one it gives gradings as recommended by what T.V.
    Can I trust this lterature where it says EG;Sound A;Picture Quality B and Connectivity? C.

I have also looked in What TV site and the reviews for the T.V`s(5 star) do not seem to be readily available in these outlets.(Curries,Comet and Powerhouse).

Basically,how do I proceed as I have difficulty in finding a decent T.V never mind cables.
    Maybe it would be easier for someone to P.M me if they feel the info supplied would be prejudicial to what they could put on the forum.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Also have a look in Costco (over in Springburn), if memory serves they give a 3 year warranty (it may be 5) as 'standard'.

7. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lynx I`ll try Costco too.

I now know where to but not what to buy or whether to trust literature from certain companies.

Should I buy a Package deal ?

From what I`ve read I should buy a Nicam T.V a DVD/Dolby Digital 5.1 Home Cinema System for sound and a VCR if required.

Am I right and should somebody with a modicum of knowledge be able to get it going and link up with Sky Digital.?

I am quite happy for any individual views on exactly what I should purchase by P.M as I would not want to jeopardise the integrity of the forum.

My price range is on a previous posting.

Sorry to be a pest.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think's in order people?

JVC AV32T25S TV gets my vote - which you can pick up from Curry's for £597. You've probably seen this already but if not here's a link to refresh your memory...

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=AV32T25EKS&catid=100058&lid=

A tasty Nicam 32" TV with a gorgeous flatscreen picture.

Richer Sounds ( http://www.richersounds.co.uk ) can sell you a Marantz SR5300 & Mission Cinema M72 package and (if you buy it separately) a Toshiba SD220E for £410, which brings you £10 over budget. But - I think most people will agree here, for what that £410 offers you're getting a hell of a lot for your money.

Toshiba SD220E info...

http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf

And Review...

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...estbench/DVDPlayers/Toshiba/ToshibaSD220E.php

Marantz SR5300 info...

http://www.marantz.com/p_product.cfm?id=1815&cont=e&line=avr&cat=hf&series=comp

And Mission M72 Cinema info...

http://www.mission.co.uk/product/cinemam70ser/cinemam72.htm

Hope this helps & feel free to PM with any more questions!

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Regarding the literature, the phrase which springs to mind is 'pinch of salt'. Most of it is just advertiseing blurb.

If by that you mean the tv, amp, speakers, dvd etc, then if the discount is heavy enough, go for it, however you are unlikely to find a dealer that sells all that you decide to purchase. On the other hand if you mean a package of tv, and dvd player that is bundled by the likes of Comet then probabaly not (the player will be a cheapy).

Tv,dvd player,reciever and speaker package-remembering to budget for a subwoofer and cables to connect everything together.

Yep, I'm sure you'll manage. In the event of difficulties the board members will rally to help. You may even find a local who would nip round and help out.

That, i guess is the $64K question. What is fine for me may not be for you, otherwise we would all have the same kit.

Another dealer to consider is http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/widescreen_32_new.htm
    who I suspect is not a million miles from you in DumbartonRd.

Edit : a word of advice, when you do eventually settle on a new set, don't go looking for faults. Providing there are no howling geometry problems etc, settle down to enjoy it ,as i can virtually guarantee that if you go looking for faults you will never be 100% satisfied.

10. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lynk and Dimmy for your help.
    Sounds like you both know Glasgow so to advise I live in Bishopbriggs.
    So Costco is a couple of miles away and my daughter + partner live in Springburn and have a Costco card.

Buchanan Galleries about 5/6 miles away with Dumbarton Road the same in different directions.

Essentially I am just looking for a half decent telly/sound system/dvd and the family like watching videos.

I am very naive about these matters hence the request for advice which I am very grateful for.Basically dark shading on a TV would not particularly worry me, and I know my wife would not want speakers scattered over the living room even wall mounted and if I got speakers if possible they would be camouflaged behind the T.V or laid just in front.

I watch TV quite a lot as I`m retired due to ill health.
    Thanks again all.
    PS.Don`t know what cables to buy.?

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    One other point to ponder - if you are definitely not going to require largish boxes (speakers),and all this kit lying around the livingroom has 'low wife acceptance factor' then providing your own expectations of sound can be met, i'd 'consider an all in one system such as Sony DAV S500 . This *may* have a higher wife acceptance factor due to the styling and the space that it occupies - again Costco have a couple on display.

12. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

What I would say is make sure you consider the following inportant features for the TV:

Widescreen - Everything is going widescreen, it's 100% here to stay.

Flatscreen - For paying that tiny bit extra, you can have a flatscreen TV with less distortion and one that picks up less reflection.

Decent brand - Forget about the extremely cheap rubbish from supermarkets, try to avoid the traditional budget brands (Bush, Alba etc.) and if you can, pay that little bit extra for a TV from a reliable brand such as Sony or Philips (or maybe LG, Thomson or similar if budget really is tight).

I would also suggest that you get a low cost all-in-one surround sound amplifier/DVD player combo complete with wife-friendly small satellite speakers. This will sound a lot better than buying a TV with built-in surround plus has much more upgradeability.
    Also remember that you can use this system for playing CDs and often radio too.
    Again, try not going for the cheapest brands and go for a reliable make.
    (Note: Make sure you get stands or wall brackets for the speakers as putting them straight onto the floor will sound very bad indeed.)

As for my comment about cables. look for the more expensive cables in the store (ie. not the £4.99 ones complete with 'Market-special' packinging) and try to get them to chuck that in for free as part of the deal.

Once you've bought your package, we on the forum can tell you the best way to connect it all.

Hope that all helps! :D

13. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to acknowledge the help I`ve been given from the people who have posted in reply to my thread.

Costco will shortly be getting a visit from me and John Lewis.

Essentially,I will be buying a T.V(100 Hz widescreen flatscreen) from a decent manufacturer like those described.
    A seperate sound system with the ability to play DVD`s and music.

Also ensure quality cabling and not cheapos.

I hope I`ve got it + please feel free to chip in your tuppence worth/recommendations.(even by pm.).

14. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sounds good, however a small caveat...have a good look at a 100hz set with a digital signal as they are not to everyones taste.100hz proccessing can be very artificial at times, Sky and football can be a good example of this.Personaly, i wouldn't bother too much with this, unless you find 50hz to difficult to watch.Try searching some of the threads dealing with 100hz pros & cons http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=89219. There will be many more like that.

Edit, Tosh 330 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000094SBX/ref=ed_xsoc_ce_1_2/202-0758807-0538251 from Amazon may suit at £79.99 delivered and it's multi region.

15. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx;Thanks again for further info.
    Does this dvd on amazon play music and dvds ?
    So all I need is a suitable telly.(Saw one mentioned on other link in last post;Sony KD32DX40) and sound system Sony Dav S500.

To round off cables which ones?
    Ta.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The all-in-one system will play a dvd (it's an integrated unit) so you can take the Tosh 330 of the list if you go down this route.

17. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ibrox,
    i was in a similar position to yourself a few months ago and asked the good folks of this forum for some help - which was duly given. After a lot of inverstigation in the end I went for a Toshiba Picture Frame 2, 32", which has integrated Dolby Digital sound. As a complete novice with an untrained ear I couldn't honestly say that a seperate sound system was worthwhile - although I am sure that most of the forum members would strongly disagree. Most movies sound amazing with any form of surround sound when you have been used to watching & hearing on old TVs.

I ordered mine from Robertsons Online - no problems - delivered direct by Toshiba and got a free DVD player (the 330 that Lynx refers to) and a VHS machine, all for around £1150. Add in a component video cable (Supra AV3 approx £55) and an optical sound cable (can't remember make but about £25) and the job as they say was a good one. The free stuff may have been a launch offer but you still might be able to find it out there.

Hope this helps rather than confuses, happy hunting.

18. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jfw;Thanks for your views which gives another option which is great.

19. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jfw.Is this the Toshiba 32ZP38P which comes with a SD230UK DVD player +V633 Uk VCR? Ta.

20. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ibrox,
    it is the 32ZP38, but I got the SD330 & the 8** video. I suspect the SD230 would be virtually exactly the same, and similar for the video machine. The DVD player is excellent (I had a SD220 before) but the video is very noisy.

Despite all the negative press the picture frame TVs get on this forum I have found mine to be truly amazing. It appears that most of the problems arise on the 36" models, but I also agree with what Lynx said about not looking for the problems, just be happy if the gemoetry is OK and it does what it says on the tin.

good luck with the purchase...

21. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lynx and co.
    Went to Costco today to have a look round.
    They didn`t have the Sony Dav S500 on display but had a Sony Dav S550.
    A friendly guy saw me looking and pointed out another one which he recommended which was Sony Dav SA 30.

Any thoughts?

As per suggestions about getting a quality TV on 32" I saw a Sony KD32DX40 but it was a 50HZ set and had a sound system on same with a 3yr guarantee.

As per the thread it would appear this would not be ideal having 2 sound systems so perhaps JL will require a visit for a Widescreen Nicam Flatscreen.

Also is it sensible to have both devises with the same maker(In this instance Sony.)

Hope I`m on the right track but no doubt you good people will assist as usual.Thanks.
    P.S; Still have the option of the Toshiba online from Robertsons online.

22. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Unusually for me, I haven't been online in the last few days, so couldn't advise you on which cables to buy.

Although I'm not a fan of the Sony DAV-S (not loud enough for me), the S550 is most certainly better than the S500 and it's a higher up/better model than the SA 30 too.
    Go for the S550- it's worth the extra!

As for cables , good brands in your price range to look out for are Ixos, QED, Techlink and Thor.

If you buy a TV and DAV-S550, this is what cables you should buy:

S-Video&2-phono scart cable from DAV-S500 to TV.

You'll need to check which scart socket will take the S-video signal (check the manual) and may need to use the TV's menu to set the scart socket as S-video).

One scart cable from the video into the TV and 2-phono audio lead from video to DAVS-550.

(If you have a Sky, digital cable or digital TV box, also you'll need the same cables again for this connection plus an extra scart between the digital box and video for recording).

Get a good cable from the DAVS-550 to TV, spend up to about £25 - £30. This is where the quality is noticable.

Don't worry about the Video scart cable too much. £10 to £15 should suffice. Spend the same for a 2 phono audio.

(If you do have the digital TV box mentioned, pay up to £30 for a scart cable -making sure you connect to scart socket number one- plus buy the same audio cable as the video.)

So to sum up...

If you have TV, VCR and DAVS you need:

1 x S-Video&2-phono to scart cable - up to £30
    1 x Basic Scart cable - up to £15
    1 x 2-phono to 2-phono audio cable - Up to £15

If you have TV, VCR, DAVS and digitalTV box you need:

1 x S-Video&2-phono to scart cable - up to £30
    2 x Basic Scart cable - up to £15 each
    2 x 2-phono to 2-phono audio cable - Up to £15 each
    1 x Good quality scart lead - up to £30

You could print out the above to use as a checklist.

Hope all this helps!!!!! :smashin:

23. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Boingo for the cabling advice and also the best Sony Sound System.
    I do have Sky digital so it is option 2 cabling I would require .
    I bought 2 basic scart cables when I got my present TV so perhaps that would take care of the 2 basic scarts to which you refer but I`m not too fussed about the £30 so perhaps start afresh.?

Just the T.V bits + pieces to sort out now.Ta again.

24. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  25. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    yeah i posted that but afriad i rang them up today and the bloke said they had hundreds in stock on monday bought loads from panasonic as they have now been discontinued but they flew off the shelves as soon as they hit the website

i really wanted to go for one aswell aghhhhhhhh

26. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys;Paid a visit to JL today to check out a TV to accompany Sony Dav S550 all in one system.
    One of the reasons for going was the unavailability of the Panasonic TX-32 DT30.

However,another confusing factor for me was the sales advice given to me which was buy a 50HZ T.V as watching sports via 100hz TV was not so good.
    As this is one of my primary interests obviously some concern and would welcome views.
    I`ll trawl through forum as this must have been the subject of some debate I would imagine.

In addition I now have to find a suitable T.V.+ any advise again would be welcome.

Thanks.

27. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This is what i was trying to advise earlier

;)

28. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for use of your time Lynx.
    You did indeed forewarn about sports so now I`m looking for a 50HZ with Nicam to accompany the suggested all in one sound system.

Sorry for problems I`m causing.Cheers.

29. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

The basic scarts you already have will be fine for your use as video isn't the best picture quality anyway.

That'll save some cash! :clap:

As for 50Hz vs 100Hz, I feel that 100Hz is only really needed on 36 inch TVs because flicker is more noticeable then, so more cash you can save there by avoiding 100Hz! :clap: :clap:

And you're right, 100Hz can look a lot worse on sport because the TV cannot process the fast moving images fast enough.

See, you originally told us you couldn't tell the difference between one TV or another. Now you're becoming one of us already! ;)

ps. If money is tight for the cables, Vivanco and Profigold are apparently a couple of good brands too which I forgot to mention. They cost a little bit less as well.
    Also, the cables don't all need to be from the same manufacteror.

pps. Once you have bought everything, post again and I/we can advise you on the best way to set it all up to get the maximum quality from your new purchase. Then you can sit back and feel smug because you'll have a better set-up TV than most of the Joe Public, including ones who have spent far more money than you! :D

30. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Boingo;
    Though I`m catching on I`m probably going to ask a really basic question which is the number of scarts needed on the T.V.

Reading through the threads I noted that the Philipps 32PW 6506 was a 50Hz T.V + stand with a good write up from one of the guys especially clarity of picture.

Sounds the job but has 2 scarts and noticed lots of T.V`s have 3 so now I`m thinking this telly would not be compatible with the all in one.?

If this T.V is a good choice then the TV would cost £605 + £255 for the sound system and cables and £75 /£90 for cables which is bang on my budget.

Re-The actual fitting up of the system I will come back and ask your advice but personally I have mobility problems so won`t be doing the actual work.

However,hopefully my daughters partner will be able to take advantage of your helpful offer.

Grateful again for all the assistance.