Help for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by postbag, Oct 8, 2004.

1. postbag

postbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :hiya:

I’m new to the forum so please go easy on me. I’m converting my garage 16’ x 10’ to a small home cinema room and trying to get everything for £2000!! As you can see, I’m on a very small budget courtesy of Wife! I want if possible to get the Projector, Screen, AV Amp/receiver/decoder and speakers for that if possible. From lurking in the forum for a while and reading all your informed comments I am thinking of going for the AE700 but i’m just not too sure that the room length will let me put the projector far enough away from the screen to get a good enough quality but big picture. I have looked at the throw-dist. calc but I’m still not sure. If you all were on my budget in such a small room, what would you go for in terms of a complete package? Any posts at all would be greatly appreciated because my knowledge of these things is about three days old as you can probably make out from my post :confused: there are just so many options. Thanks so much in advance. :lease:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, with regards to buying a PJ, research. Think about what type of unit you want. DLP? LCD? Use the internet and buy this months edition of What TV and video as it has a reasonable suppliment on buying a new home cinema projector and the subsequent pitfalls or bonuses.

Having built a cinema room in the past my first piece of advice would be to plan it from start to finish. Dont worry about the size of the screen yet. Look at projectors, demo them if possible and when you find one you like work out where you place the PJ and then think about the suitbale size of the screen. When you are setting up the room a 6 foot wide screen is big but you could get away with a 7 or even 8 foot screen in there.............

Think about wiring where is going to go etc.

Hope this helps. With regards to packages there are some fantastic companies around that you can use. Check out -

www.discounttv.co.uk

www.nexnix.co.uk

www.intoav.com

These are all superb UK companies with excellent customer service who may be able to advise you on what you need.

Cheers.

Cap :)

3. postbag

postbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response Captain Benefit. Just back from NPO and reading the said supplement. Regarding the planning, i'm getting the walls tracked all over the place before plastering to allow me to take the AV cables etc. up the wall, into the roofspace and out the ceiling wherever i have to put the projector. Also getting plenty of sockets at that point too. Just need to decide on the equipment. Spoke to Richer Sounds in Belfast on the phone and they were more than helpful but i've probably got quite a few weeks to go hunting yet, you know what builders are like :rolleyes: