1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 330uk, Nov 19, 2003.

1. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong section.

Ive just purchased a brand new flat. Its a small flat with 3 rooms 1 bedroom, 1 living room and 1 bathroom.
    The flat has been prewired with speakers for each room. All the wiring leads to one point in the living room. The builder has done this to all his flats and its what they do.

Here is the way its been wired
    4 speakers in living room
    4 speakers in bedroom
    1 speaker in bathroom
    The speaker points are mounted at on the wall about 2/3 way up.

Im a total newbie and have no idea what to do. Ive already got a DVD player with 5.1 etc and a decent TV.

I want to know which speaker system should I buy, how should I set it up, what sort of amp/av receiver.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. DO you think a budget of £500 will be enough or should I spend more. Any suggestions of where to buy from ?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any ideas guys ? I was hoping to buy this weekend and need some ideas.
    Thanks

3. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice idea by the builder. How much did it cost you?
    With a total of 9 speakers then?
    Looks like you may need a couple of amps.
    Personally I would go with 7 identical speakers and 2 main speakers in your living room or bedroom.
    I'm a bit Eltax bias as they make brill speakers for a craking price.
    The 2 main ones I would have Eltax Milleniums 500 (would need to watch volume lvls againsts other speakers), or liberty 5+ which are highly rated at arpound the same price - £145.
    The 7 identical ones I would say something like TDL Nucleus 2 at 49.99 a pair at RS. Maybe you could get a cheap deal buying 7 of them?
    Thats say £300, on a real tight budget.
    That leaves £200 for an amp - Marantz Sr4300 could be picked up for 199 a while back.

This is on your tightest budget so I would say there is better out there, but the above would be a good start.

Also "In wall" speakers may be worth a look...?

4. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply
    The builder (wilson Bowden Homes) does this to all there new Flat developments, it doesnt cost anything. All the wiring is done to a high standard and comes out at 1 point in the living room.

Do you recommend anywhere I should buy the above setup from ? I definately dont want to be buying from Dixons.

Somebody else suggested I build 2 systems. He suggested I buy a home cinema kit for the living room (mount the 4 speakers on the wall and sub under TV) and then buy seperate speakers for the bathroom and bedroom and buy 1 decent AMP to run two sperate systems.
    This was a suggestion made by a friend who THINKS he knows alot about home entertainment systems. Im sure you guys know more and will probably disagree

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have a Richer Sounds near you have a look to see what they have to offer. their website address is www.richersounds.com which may give you some ideas.

I wouldn't recommend trying to make up two systems on a limited budget but think that it would be preferable to put all available funds into one single system so that you end up with the best that you can afford.

My suggestion would be something like a Mordaunt Short Premier speaker package at £280 plus a Marantz or Yamaha receiver.

That is assuming that you already have a DVD player

6. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to pop down to richer sounds at the weekend. Thanks for your help. Ill let you know what they suggest.