1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a Newbie...Which Editing Software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by wrigley27, Mar 25, 2002.

1. wrigley27

wrigley27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This question as probably been asked loads of times, but anyway. Can anybody please advise me what is the most user friendly and productive video editing software currently on the market. I have heard Dv500 plus is a superb package although a bit on the expensive side. I do have a little experience in editing video and I am looking at spending up to £600 to find the right software.
    Thank you in anticipation:)

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The best sub-professional system is Pinnacle Studio 7 with Hollywood FX pro (purchased as a Studio 7 add-on).

This will do most of what DV500 will do but with software rendering rather than hardware. It is capable of producing excellent videos. I use this system after trying others previously.

You will need plenty of HDD space - add a second 60Gb HDD.

3. wrigley27

wrigley27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JeffUk,
    Can you tell me if you are able to play your edited video from the timeline back to my dv camcorder with Pinnacle studio 7, thus overcoming the 2gig limit which windows 98 imposes.

Regards,

4. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wrigley,
    with Studio 7, you can drag clips from multiple 2Gb folders onto the timeline, so I am pretty sure that the answer is yes.
    You do have a fair few of the excellent Hollywood FX transitions available in the full version of Studio 7, - (not SE) and a powerful Titling programme.
    I agree with Jefuk that Studio 7 is the best of the budget capture/editing programmes available.
    Alan.

5. wrigley27

wrigley27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan...
    Pinnacle Studio 7 it is then.

Thanks for your help

Wrigley 27 :clown:

6. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wrigley, watch out for "Studio Action 7", and "Studio 7 SE" --- these are inferior to the full "Studio 7" programme.
    I know a couple of people who have just bought Studio 7 in "PC World" by the way, do you have a branch in Manchester ?
    Studio 7 --- software only
    Studio DV with Ver. 7 software, --- is the same but with a firewire card bundled.
    Studio DV+ --- as above, but including analogue in/out.
    Alan.

7. wrigley27

wrigley27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, ill probably purchase through dabs as ive had bad experiences with PC World...........

8. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi wrigley27

What the others have said is all correct. You can output back to DV tape.

The limit for W98SE using FAT32 file structure is 4Gb, and is not much of a problem, as this equates to about 18 mins of DV AVI. These 4 Gb AVI files can be converted to MPEG (1 or 2) and joined back together with TMPEGEnc. Even a 4Gb DVD MPEG2 file will be about 1 hour.