Help For A Newbie - Samsung R-720???

alexhicks

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some help from you experts!

I am looking to upgrade my current set up. I bought a Samsung LE37R87BDX last month on advice from you guys, I also have SKY and am looking to add a 60GB PS3 and an amp of some sort at the end of this month.

I am looking to purchase a Samung AV-R720 to replace my Sony DAV-SA30 home theatre. I will use my sony speakers until I can convice the wife next month to buy matching speakers.

So really I am wondering if this is a good decision, I would prefer to have a Samsung amp to match the TV, so could anyone tell me what cables i would need to connect the tv, sky, and ps3 to the R-720 to get the best results.

Any help would be great!

Alex

PS3 -> AMP = HDMi
SKY -> AMP = Optical
TV -> AMP (To play freeview/analogue TV sound via AMP with Anynet+) = Optical (this is optional).
AMP -> TV = HDMi (ps3 video to tv via amp).

Thats it.

I'm about to pop into York to pick up my 720 now. I've been reading through the manual this morning.

The manual doesn't mention LPCM but it does accept it according to others with the amp or its predecessor. This means your PS3 will decode the latest HD sound and send it to the amp as uncompressed audio via HDMi.

The website says there is no anynet connectivity but it is wrong - the manual explains how to set it up. As long as you have a hdmi cable connecting the amp and the tv the tv will will recognise it and allow you to controll both with one controller. I'm not sure how good this actually is I haven't played with it yet. To make further use of this, you need an optical cable to take sound from terrestrial broadcasts and feed it to the amp. If this is in place the tv speakers are muted and the amp plays the sound.

However its moot if like me you watch all your tv through sky+. You just connect to the tv as usual with the scart and connect the optical output of the sky box to the amp. I'm not sure if you need to do something clever after this or if you need to turn the amp on and off manually - i'll find out later.

Thanks, i will look into purchasing all the leads with the amp at the same time!

How much are you paying for yours?

I also need to connect my PC and WII, will this also be able to ahndle this, and what leads shall I use?

My PC has a DVI output and I have an Intel HD Audio Deck with numerous outputs for jack sized channels.

Any advice how to connect these also?

OK, bought mine in richer sounds today. Got the reciever, tannoy sfx 5.1 speaker package, a sub woofer cable (the speaker package didn't include one), an optical lead and a HDMI cable => £370.

On my receipt that shows up as a £120 discount - or 25%!

Not sure about a wii, but search the amplifier forum for wii and i expect you'll find the connections.

As for the PC, we will connect our macbook with a DVI to HDMI led. Asda do a HDMI lead with two dvi adaptors for £15, saw it yesterday. For sound you will then use optical for the appropriate hdmi. The amp allows you to then choose HDMI/Coaxial/Optical for channel one.

Word of caution, the amp uses optical as default. When i plugged in the ps3 nothing came up at all. I had to choose function 1 (1st HDMI, labelled DVD) and then choose hdmi as the input. Quirky, but fine otherwise. Page 23 of manual.

Thanks for your help! I will keep this till payday!

Saying that, I have just priced up everything on-line on richer sounds and not including a woofer cable the cost is £449.90, am i missing something here?!?

They have a deal on for the amp, speakers and a ****** upscaling dvd player for £400.

I went in to the new store in York (i guess you can go anywhere) and asked them to take out the DVD player. He said it would come to 370 ish. I walked out and came back later and said I'd take it for 360 if he threw in a cable.

He agreed, and then I hammered him for the optical and hdmi leads - I did start to walk out once, but then we agreed at 370 for the lot.

I felt good and my girlfriend even forgot we just spent 370 quid!

I'm guessing the 490 total on my receipt is the full non sale price, I'm guessing the website prices are a bit cheaper but if you go into the shop you'll definately be able to barter them down a bit.

You are a legend - thanks for your help!

While I think of it, is there any way you could take a picture of the rear of the unit, there are no pictures on the net anywhere, I would like to see where all the connections are so I can sort my cabling out! If you cant dont worry!

Alex, I would suggest the easiest way to get a look at the back of the Samsung is to have a look at the online manual (pdf). Page 7 shows the rear of the machine and outlines the available connections.

Regarding the Wii, use a Wii component cable with video connected straight through to your television; the Wii lacks optical or coaxial digital output, so use one of the pairs of rca phono inputs. The majority of games support Dolby Prologic II, so you'll still get surround sound. With your PC it depends what outputs it has - if it's a soundcard/integrated motherboard without optical/coaxial digital output use the multi-channel analogue audio input jacks; you can get cables that go from 3.5mm plug to twin rca phono connectors (which are the sockets on the amp). For 5.1 surround you'll need three. But you need to check what output sockets are available first, since if available optical or coaxial digital will be easier.

Robert

While I think of it, is there any way you could take a picture of the rear of the unit, there are no pictures on the net anywhere, I would like to see where all the connections are so I can sort my cabling out! If you cant dont worry!

Try here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912466

There is a pic in this thread if it is ok to link to here.

Is by any chance opt 2 and coaxial connected? That you cannot use 1 over the other? That might explain why I get no audio from my digital tv tuner.

Is by any chance opt 2 and coaxial connected? That you cannot use 1 over the other? That might explain why I get no audio from my digital tv tuner.
I don't understand what you mean?

The inputs are linked, so HDMI 1, Coax 1 and Optical 1 are all linked under "DVD". To choose between them you need to choose DVD function, and then cycle between the inputs.

For example, our macbook pro is set up on Optical 1, and the PS3 is set up on HDMI 1. I rarely use the mac with the tv so quickly choosing optical is not a problem, otherwise i leave the input as HDMI and then the PS3 works as default.

Essentially they are branched under two levels, the first set of inputs are grouped under DVD and the second set are grouped under Satelite.

The only issue with this is that you can only choose each digital input for each function. For example if you set up CD as Coaxial, you can't then choose it for satellite.

great stuff mate!

Alex, I would suggest the easiest way to get a look at the back of the Samsung is to have a look at the online manual (pdf). Page 7 shows the rear of the machine and outlines the available connections.

Regarding the Wii, use a Wii component cable with video connected straight through to your television; the Wii lacks optical or coaxial digital output, so use one of the pairs of rca phono inputs. The majority of games support Dolby Prologic II, so you'll still get surround sound. With your PC it depends what outputs it has - if it's a soundcard/integrated motherboard without optical/coaxial digital output use the multi-channel analogue audio input jacks; you can get cables that go from 3.5mm plug to twin rca phono connectors (which are the sockets on the amp). For 5.1 surround you'll need three. But you need to check what output sockets are available first, since if available optical or coaxial digital will be easier.

Robert

Thanks robert, exactly the info I needed!:thumbsup:

You'll go optical for your pc though obviously with your intel sounddeck schizzel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom