• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help for a new projector owner please :-)

Ste C

Novice Member
Firstly I would like to say hi to all as I'm new here and new to projectors.

I haven't yet purchased a projector but I'm looking at 2 at the moment which are:

Optima HD131Xe

Or

Viewsonic PJD7820HD

I'm on a budget for my first purchase but if there are any better projectors for the same money I would appreciate the advice.

I have converted my garage into a cinema room which will have zero natural light and my cinema wall space is 3m wide X 2.4m high.

I'm also looking for advice on what cinema screen would by suitable for my needs and what distance from the screen I would need to position the projector which will be ceiling mounted.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you visual gurus :)

Steve.

Last edited:

Ste C

Novice Member
Your cinema wall has identical measurements to mine. Feel free to check out the link in my sig to see if you can get any ideas.

For further advice, let us know what ratio of screen you'd like and how far away you'd sit.

Steve W

Cheers Steve.

Some nice work you have done in your threads, impressive.

Screen ratio I was thinking just 16:9, I don't know much about other ratio's as I'm new to all this.

I shall be sat 3m away from the screen.

Cheers.

Steve.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Okay, three main ratios.

16:9 - in which case you'll have black bars at the top and bottom for 'scope (2.40:1) films.

2.40:1 - in which case you'll have black bars at the sides for 16:9/1.85:1 films.

2.00:1 - in which case you'll get bars for both, but much smaller.

Sometimes people with 16:9 screens feel their 'scope film are diminished - ditto people with 'scope films watching 16:9 films, but not everyone in either case.

Everyone I've heard of with 2.00:1 screens are always happy.

If you're on a budget (which your choice of projector says you are), then 'scope is a non-starter for DLP projectors like the Optoma, as they don't have enough zoom to swap between the two ratios, and an anamorphic lens would cost more than the projector.

If your screen wall is 3.00m wide you'll have a maximum viewable screen width of about 2.8m as you need to allow a bit for the border, as well as a few cms for your fingers when putting it up.

A 2.8m wide screen at 3m would be just a tiny bit too close for me, but many others would feel very comfortable with that.

My advice would be to buy the projector and demo different screen sizes with different test material until you decide what's comfortable for you.

By the way, someone else who knows about those particular projectors will be able to advise you better than I, but if your projector is only going to be 3.00m from the screen, you might struggle to fill a screen that large.

Finally, if your budget is very tight, consider building your own screen. Again, others will be along shortly with advice on that.

If you're anywhere in West Yorkshire feel free to pop round to mine for a demo.

Steve W

Last edited:

Ste C

Novice Member
Okay, three main ratios.

16:9 - in which case you'll have black bars at the top and bottom for 'scope (2.40:1) films.

2.40:1 - in which case you'll have black bars at the sides for 16:9/1.85:1 films.

2.00:1 - in which case you'll get bars for both, but much smaller.

Sometimes people with 16:9 screens feel their 'scope film are diminished - ditto people with 'scope films watching 16:9 films, but not everyone in either case.

Everyone I've heard of with 2.00:1 screens are always happy.

If you're on a budget (which your choice of projector says you are), then 'scope is a non-starter for DLP projectors like the Optoma, as they don't have enough zoom to swap between the two ratios, and an anamorphic lens would cost more than the projector.

If your screen wall is 3.00m wide you'll have a maximum viewable screen width of about 2.8m as you need to allow a bit for the border, as well as a few cms for your fingers when putting it up.

A 2.8m wide screen at 3m would be just a tiny bit too close for me, but many others would feel very comfortable with that.

My advice would be to buy the projector and demo different screen sizes with different test material until you decide what's comfortable for you.

By the way, someone else who knows about those particular projectors will be able to advise you better than I, but if your projector is only going to be 3.00m from the screen, you might struggle to fill a screen that large.

Finally, if your budget is very tight, consider building your own screen. Again, others will be along shortly with advice on that.

If you're anywhere in West Yorkshire feel free to pop round to mine for a demo.

Steve W

My projector will be 4m from the screen so I'm thinking that should fill the area nicely. I will be sat about 3-3.5m away.

I'll look into the 2.00:1 if that's what floats most boats.

I'm on the east coast in Lincolnshire but thanks for the demo offer.

I'm unable to stretch to an expensive projector at present but in about a years time I shall be in the market for nice expensive one. Just going to spend about £600 for now to tide me over.

Cheers,

Steve.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Actually 2.00:1 is quite rare. But those of us who have one swear by it.

I'm going to try to post a few pics on my other thread soon, or maybe here in projector land - watch out for that.

I think £600 now us an excellent idea. It's astonishing what you can get for that amount these days - arguably not far off a real cinema in many ways.

Don't forget that you'll need a source (Blu-ray Disc Player) and sound (amp and speakers).

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom