1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a muppet !

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ymegod, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Took a few RAW shots today but I am having a bit of trouble downloading them. I have mailed a member but that which he suggested has not really worked. I have a 20D.
    So far I have changed the "Communication" on the camera menu to ptp, went to import on Photoshop Elements and then WIA Support. All that happens is that a "Busy" flashes in the LCD on top of the camera and I cannot access the "Get pictures" button that appears on my PC.
    I don`t know if there is a period of time that I should let this flash before something happens as I panicked and turned it off.
    Can anybody help me please ?

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Well the good news is that you are not being a muppet. The bad news is that Canon are.

When you bought the 20D you would have also got a copy of Photoshop Elements 2 which is fine for most needs with one key exception that Elements 2 doesnt support RAW!

So your options are:

1. Fork out some cash for an upgrade to Elements 3 which does support RAW
    2. Get a copy of Pixmantec Rawshhooter which is free and actually very very good
    3. Use Canon Digital Photo Professional which came with your camera to process the RAW files

HTH

3. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The plot thickens ! I have downloaded a copy of the Rawshooter Essentials thing from Pixmantec and I seem to get the same results as with Photoshop Elements. I will try again.
    The only discs I got with the 20D were PS Elements and an EOS Digital solution disc which does however have WIA Driver on it.

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Right,

So you connect your camera to your PC via USB does your camera appear in My Computer when you do this?

Have you installed the driver for the camera?

If not install it and then see what happens when you connect the camera.

Regardless of if you get this working or not I STRONGLY recommend buying a USB/Firewire card reader as not only are these easier to connect and use it also means your camera doesnt have to be switched on and draining the battery whilst you download your photos and considering that you can pick them up for less than £5 they are worth their weight in gold.