1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help for a moron regarding coax (RF) cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wakebrdr190, Aug 2, 2004.

1. wakebrdr190

wakebrdr190

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im new, so please dont make too much fun of me :suicide:
    ok, my problem: in my dorm, i recieve cable TV through a coaxial cable, the problem is, my reciever (sony STR-DE895), does not have a coax input.... i have been unable to locate any type of converter to convert a coax to A/V. can anyone help me out? is there a way i can watch cable programming through my reciever? thanks so much!!!!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi wakebrdr190 and welcome to the forum :smashin:

Don't worry about us making fun of a new member, we wait until you've got at least 10 posts before we do that :rotfl:

You say you receive cable through a coax cable. I therefore assume that you don't have a STB, but change the channels on the TV. If this is the case then the only way you can get the sound via your AV receiver is to take the sound from the TV. If the TV is nicam stereo then it will more than likely have a pair of phono sockets for audio out on the back. If not you may be able to get an output from a scart socket.
    If the TV is not nicam then don't bother as you will only be feeding the receiver with a mono signal so wont get any advantage going via a receiver.

One thought. I know that if you connnect a Sky STB to a TV via coax it will only give a mono audio feed, so are you sure that you can get stereo from the coax? As I said abocve there is no advantage to putting the sound via an AV receiver if it is mono as DPL etc does not work from mono.

Mark.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have a VCR with cable tuner or STB? You could use that.

AV Receivers do not have a cable TV tuner, only a radio tuner. AV amplifiers do not have any tuner at all.