1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a console novice !!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by No vote Joe, Mar 15, 2003.

1. No vote Joe

No vote Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am being pressurized into buying my kids (10 + 11 yrs) a new console. At present they have a PS1 and enjoy the shoot up adventure type games, but want the new technology of XBox or PS2.

I could be persuaded if the DVD side of things is good, as they want one of those as well, and if i can combine the 2 then all well and good.

Could I ask for comments pros/cons of each, or should I spend the cost of £200 to upgrade my PC to do the same thing?

Many thanks, Joe

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Well for the ps2 it has dvd playback, plus you'll be able to play all those ps1 games on it as well. there is a very big catalogue of games for the ps2.
    The graphics are ok but not great.

Now xbox also has dvd playback, has the best graphics of any console out today.
    Xbox doe's not have as many game out as ps2, but it doe's have
    some awsome shooting games like Halo which i'm sure they would love. then there is splinter cell a bit like MGS but better Imho.
    Plus xbox live i had to get that in :rolleyes:

3. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would always go for PS2 over the other offerings. The thing about PS2 is quite simply the choice of games on the market for the platform. Sony have done a great job marketing what is technically an inferior product, but because of that marketing, they have the confidence of the games developers.

All you have to do is make sure you choose the right games for the you and the kids.

This may all change with the next cycle of machine out late next year or the year after, but until then I would go for the PS2, and have the added benefit of being able to pick up a good price at the moment, and also don't forget that if you have a big library of PS1 games, they can be used in PS2's.

ps- I used my PS2 as a DVD player after I snapped the disk tray off my DVD player and had no problems with it.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I agree with some of that, if i was buying for young kids then i would also get ps2.
    Yes ps2 has loads of games but 75% of tham are crap.
    Like you say it's about getting the right games.

5. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder who will do best with the next generation consoles. I have a funny feeling Nintendo won't put up with another flop and will pull all the stops out and kick some Sony butt.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, take a look at the games, but IMO, PS2 is just blatantly overpriced right now. Sony is coasting on the success of their system, and is still managing to sell a lower spec system for more £££ than the XBox. I'm not saying that it's a bad system, it's just overpriced.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    Gamecube has some great games out for it. Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball, Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing etc. etc.

All perfect for young kids and adults alike.

DVD playback of the PS2 is ok, I still bought a dedicated DVD player as the PS2 makes a lot of noise, and X-Box as well.

PS2 is most probably your most cost effective solution and it does have a huge number of games you can pick up cheap.

8. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with Sinzer the current price war on gamecube consoles and games makes nintendo's machine a winner in my eyes

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes but No vote Joe specifically wanted the DVD playback option as well...

I would say the PS2 is the way to go for a family console - big range of games (especially aimed at youngsters), many back-catalogue titles are available at greatly reduced price now, no extras needed for DVD playback (unlike XBox), & PS1 compatability... :smashin:

10. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If you want a console with DVD playback then the Xbox is the one to chose. I know the remote is an extra £20 but the DVD playback on the Xbox is vastly superior.
    One caveat though, the standard Xbox pad is too big for a child's hands so it would be worth investing in the controller S.
    Remember there is no need to buy any memory cards for the Xbox.

11. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the Playstation 2 as well. For the shear number of games available. :smashin:

12. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm yes, PS2 would seem like the sensible choice for the current generation of consoles due to mass developer support. Plus all your existing PS1 games won't go to waste!

Graphics are very good, though just because they're not the best doesn't mean you shouldn't get one! ... at the end of the day game matter wins over eye candy and depending on the game you get, you won't care about the difference in a few pixels.

Plus you can stand it vertically! :smashin:

13. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely the most important factor! :clap:

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    PS2 is old technology (3 years?) and it shows!

Just like buying the latest video card for your PC makes sense if you're into games then go for the latest and best console....

Go for an X-Box.

May have less games, but graphics and sound (real time DD 5.1) are far superior.

You also get a 10gig HD which means faster access to numerous game saves and you can copy your fave CD tracks to it and select them as background tracks to some games.

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    I really don't agree with buy the latest and best in the gaming forum.

Comparison to PC Graphics cards is a bit silly, as they all play the same games (PC games). You cannot compare games consoles on specs, they have to be compared on games. PS2 has a far better games library than the X-Box and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Much the same as IMO the Gamecube has a far better library of games than both put together, however it is down to personal choice. It is no point having the latest and greatest console if it has no games that you enjoy playing!

16. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Don't forget, the X-Box has only been going about a year, compared to 3 (?) for the PS2.

It DOES have games that you will enjoy playing.

Joe, at the end of the day you either chose quality over quantity or vice versa.