1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a confused boy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philipb, Mar 22, 2002.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Help from you clever guys would be appreciated. I thought I was getting the hang of this progressive scan (PS) thing, but now I'm not so sure.

The relevant bits of my setup are:

Daewoo plasma
    Marantz 4200
    Sony 9000ES DVD

At present I watch Sky via either a RGB to S-Video converter or RGB to VGA converter. The latter gives a slightly better picture on the plasma but there is noticeable combing which I take to be an interlacing effect.

The Sony is connected directly into the component input, but only does PS on NTSC material. It is awesome, region 2 stuff is only slightly behind.

I recently borrowed an Iscan Pro. It improved the playback of region 2 discs, but seemed to have no effect - even made worse - the output from Sky. So the real question is - does the Iscan improve broadcast PAL? I assume it deinterlaces it because the combing effect disappeared, but the picture was washed out and lacked clarity compared to the RGB/VGA converter (J S Technology). On the other hand it did smarten up the region 2 discs quite noticeably. About £600 is a lot to pay for better playback of PAL DVDs.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    How were you feeding the signal to the iscan from the Sky box?

Also was the jaggy edges/combing on the VGA input particularily at the edges of solid blocks of colour, most noticeably red?

Gordon

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Gordon

I fed the Isan using the RGB/S-Video converter from J S Technology. So it was RGB out from the digibox into the converter, then S-video into the Iscan, then into the VGA input on the plasma.

The combing is apparent on horizontal movement. Stationery objects are fine, and the combing only really becomes intrusive if an object tracks left to right or right to left rapidly. So credits at the end of a programme scrolling across the bottom of the screen are unreadable because they break up into horizontal lines literally like the teeth on a comb.

The Iscan got rid of the effect.