Help for a complete audio novice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gamingboy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gamingboy

gamingboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi all,

I've just bought myself a new Pansonic ST30 50" 3D tv from John Lewis and I'm looking to complete the setup.

So I have a PS3 and Xbox 360. I'll be watching Blu-Rays(2D and 3D) from the PS3 and playing games etc and I want to compliment it with a decent audio setup.

What is there for around the £800 - £1000 mark? That should get me a mid range amp and speakers I'm guessing. If there is something for less that's better then great. Although I figured that you need to spend a resonable amount to get the most out of the experience.

A few years ago a friend treated himself to a Onkyo amp and Kef 5.1 speaker system. So I'm guessing that the modern versions of these will be what I'm after. As this was impressive to listen to.

I'm trying to do a bit of reading and I'm getting a bit lost. I'll plough on and learn what I can. :)

Many thanks,

G

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    For your budget I would look at something like the Onkyo 609, Denon 1912 or Yamaha 671 paired with either Q Accoustic 2000 AV package or Monitor Audio Vector package or Wharfedale Diamond 10 package.
    Or do you need a more lifestyle speaker package i.e. sub/satelite system?

3. gamingboy

gamingboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Thank you for your help.

To be honest I was going on what I've seen and been impressed with. The Onkyo amp and then the Kef sub and satellite speakers.

Having a read on here it appears that the fat PS3 won't do HDMI audio with the Onkyo amp. You have to use optical out?

There's so much to take in. :)

4. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    i have the first 60gb fat ps3 and use it on my onkyo 606 and no probs what so ever,the ps3 outputs pcm via hdmi so i get dolby true hd and dts master audio, but the newer ps3 also output bitstream (raw data) so that the amp can decode the bitstream instead of the ps3decoding it and outputting pcm.

5. gamingboy

gamingboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    This was the cheaper amp.

Onkyo TXSR309 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

However I'm guessing that I'm better off with the 609.

This is the Onkyo 609

Onkyo TXNR609 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

and the speakers that I was considering.

KEF KHT2005 HD1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds.

@PSM1 I'm not sure what I need to be honest. I thought that the above arrangement with the sub and satellite speakers would produce a better sound.

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks again everyone. I'm hoping to get something next week.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The KEFs and Onkyo 609 would be a good combination but a better sound will come from standmount speakers like the Q Accoustics 2000 package. If you need small speakers then the kefs will be fine but you pay a premium for these lifestyle packages and they are always compromised (especially with music) due to their size. If you have space for larger speakers then I would always suggest going that way.

7. neoELITE

neoELITE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If it's mainly gaming audio you need, I'd honestly look at this set
    Denon DHT1312XP 5.1 Channel Home Theater System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    This constantly gets great reviews on gaming forums... every gaming forum I frequent, this is the recommended gaming set-up for audio.

£800-1000 should be more than enough for a first amp/speakers set-up, the above is £470 less than the lowest end of your budget.

I am assuming that you want a bedroom set-up - i.e. not a main living room set-up as you've not mentioned TV or a PC or anything other than two consoles. If it is just going to be two consoles connected, I wouldn't spend more than £500 to be honest. Spend the spare budget on Microsoft points and get your Avatar some new clothes :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012