Help for a AV virgin !

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ad123, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ad123

ad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Sony DAVS 550 and new VCR ,I but I am having problems finding a solution to my connection problems explained in laymans terms.Here's what I have;
    Sony KV-29F1U TV (two scarts)
    Sony SLV-SE830 VCR(two scart)
    Telewest Pace cable TV box
    Sony DAVS 550 compact AV system

I undestand the DAVS 550 doesn't have any scart connections and have managed to work out(through reading various postings) that a S-video to Scart cable connected to the TV (I think connection 2 on my TV accepts S-Video and I know there is an S-Video on the front ).
    What I want to do is connect these up and be able to watch DVD's, TV and VCR through the DAVS550's .

I obviously want reasonable quality sound and vision but if this has to suffer slightly for the sake of simplicity ie. Using S-Video rather than component(whatever that means ??) then that would be OK.
    Please be aware your dealing with someone who really doesn't know his "rgb from his elbow",after 18 months of trying I still can't record from cable ......well not sound and picture at the same time anyway !

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ok, here's what I would do... :)

Take a scart lead from the output of the cable box into the 2nd input of the VCR, then take another scart lead from the VCR to AV1 of the TV :) This will deal with the video/cable TV side of things. If you just want to watch cable, the signal will pass through the video and into the TV - otherwise known as "daisy chaining" :)

Next, using an S-Video to scart lead, connect the DAV to AV2 of the TV and ensure that AV2 is set to accept an S-Video signal. You will need to manually switch to AV2 when you want to watch a DVD as the DAV doesn't support auto switching (this is only available with Scart connections)

Finally, use a normal audio interconnect to connect the L/R Audio outputs on the TV to one of the Audio Inputs on the DAV. Whenever you want TV sound through the DAV, just select this input and whatever is playing, whether it's Video, Cable, or regular TV will come through your DAV speakers :)

With a bit of luck that should all make sense... just shout if you have any more questions :)

K.

3. ad123

ad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers K I think even I can understand that !!!

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26