Help! First hifi system - floorstanders or standmounts?

Jonnyc

Novice Member
I'm looking to purchase my first stereo hifi system upon the completion of my extension. I know I need to audition some equipment to find the right ones for me but I am struggling to even narrow it down. I'm looking to spend around £1000 (up to maybe £1200) for speakers and amp (or maybe receiver). I want to aim them mostly at music but plan to connect to my TV too. I stream all my music from spotify and I listen to all sorts from electronic/house/garage, soul/disco, rock/metal and pop. I only want to get a 2.0 system at the moment due to my budget but I like bass and I'm 99% sure I will end up getting a subwoofer at some point in the future.

My first problem is whether to get an amplifier like a marantz pm6007 and add something like a yamaha wxad10 so I can stream, or just get a receiver like the yamaha rn602. Both options provide me with the functionality I need but I don't know what will give me the best sound for my money.

My second problem is whether to be looking at floorstanding speakers or standmounts. With my budget I think I'm looking at around the £500 (up to 700) mark for speakers - will I get better value from floorstanders or standmounts? The scale and weight of floorstanders appeal to me, as well as not needing to spend £100-150 of my budget on inert stands. With standmounts it is my understanding that I may be able to get a slightly better quality of speaker i.e. a model from a slightly higher range, and although I may lose out on some bass/weight in the short term, if I do eventually get a sub then will I actually have a better system in the end?

I'm essentially looking for some guidance shortlisting some speakers/amplification to try out, as at the moment the the number of different speakers and amplification combinations I am interested in is just far to great to trial.

Some other details - the room will be relatively large about 7.5m by 4/5m as per the plan attached. The speakers will be going in the alcove bit at the bottom which is around 1m deep by 3.2m wide. There's plenty of room to get the speakers away from the rear wall and at least 50cm from side walls so I'm hoping that I shouldn't have any limits on positioning. I can't get any actual pictures as it is currently unfinished but it will be a kitchen/living room with a hard floor. Yes I could just wait longer so I can get a sub at the same time but that will be long after the extension is done and I don't know how long I can bear standard sound from a tv, and I don't want to buy a soundbar as a stop-gap.

Let me know if there's anything important I have missed. I can list the different equipment I am interested in if that helps, I am just aware this post is already getting a little long.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• plan .jpg
    plan .jpg
    118 KB · Views: 65

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you are happy to go second hand then you can get more bang for your buck.

Does your TV also play Spotify and has an optical output if so you can use this with a DAC to play it through any amp?

Example System using second hand bits -

Rotel RA1062 amp, renown for having a great power supply and provided an fairly neutral sound £235 (offers)

Kef R500 speakers, these should fill the room RRP fairly well and are a class act but need a decent amp to drive them £600-900

Either add the WXAD10 (note this only has analogue outputs so can’t add a DAC later if you feel the need)

or a DAC for the TV - Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk2 (amazon around £130).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

acgingersnaps

Hi. A new purchase option:

The Denon has streaming, a good power section and proper TV connectivity. The speakers are superb for the money. Otherwise, if you're going down the the new route, I'd stick to stand mounts in that budget range. Far more bang for your buck when compared to floorstanders in that price bracket.

Upvote 0

password1

Distinguished Member
in that sized room, floorstanders would fill the space better.

If you intend to get a sub and speaker stands, then why not put that money into speakers rather than split between bookshelves plus stands plus sub plus extra cables.

No need to go used.

Mission lx mark 2, the smallest floorstanders in the range are under £400. Go audition. The QA concept 40s are £699, worth shortlisting.

Upvote 0

Alan Weir 1

It may be worth looking at some of the bundled deals from the likes of Peter Tyson, Richer sounds etc.
Usually some not bad deals to be found.
Couple of examples-

Screenshot_20211006-123013_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211006-122954_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211006-122843_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

password1

Distinguished Member
You should consider your local independent dealers as well rather than the big boys. You'll be able to pick up or even demo any speakers they have in the shop. You get the personal touch as well as often the price match.

Upvote 0

dogfonos

An alternative approach would be a pair of active speakers coupled to a Bluesound Node 2i:

(has a subwoofer output connection and optical input for TV)
with:
or
or
or
or a pair of any other quality active monitors

All the above speakers would be OK in a large room but probably sound better when partnered with an active subwoofer.

Floorstander vs standmount...

If you intend to buy a sub in the not-too-distant future, a floorstander doesn't make sense, IMO. A well-chosen standmount will likely give superior audio performance compared with a similarly priced floorstander (except, probably, for bass extension). At this price point, the inevitably larger cabinets of floorstanders often suffer more from cabinet-added sound colouration than that of smaller standmount speakers which tend to have (acoustically) better behaved cabinets, though there may be the odd exception. However, your room is large and would usually better suit a floorstander, which may be the better option should you decide not to purchase a subwoofer in the future.

A decent subwoofer should give better bass performance (i.e. quality, extension and volume) than the bass from a floorstanding speaker in the price range we're considering. The only issue with adding a subwoofer tends to be integrating the sound of the subwoofer with the main speaker pair - not always straightforward, evidently. Note that true active speakers tend to have superior bass performance compared to traditional passive designs (see Edifier s3000Pro review linked above) and play louder and cleaner so can often be used successfully in larger rooms that similarly sized passive speakers.

Upvote 0

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Some excellent suggestions here already.

I’ll just add this one.

Everything you require.

Top class award winning speakers and network amp. A bargain price too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pulpfxn

If you are going standmount, you should audition the Monitor Audio Silver 100 6G which is on sale. 8 inch driver should provide plenty of bass until you get your sub, but I think you have to be very careful with placement.

Upvote 0

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
I'd definitely audition if possible.

You could look at the audiolab 6000A Play. It's an integrated amp (very good onboard DAC) with PlayFi built in. The latest revision of the software with PlayFi makes it a nicer experience and, if you use Spotify, you'll get the benefit of gapless + spotify connect.

We bundle it up - some ideas here for bookshelf speakers and floor standers too.

Our bundles always come with QED XT25 speaker cable too :)

Upvote 0

FootHealer

And a more ‘purist’ stereo hifi set up...

Just add the WXA-10 and you’re off.
Just be sure...if you pick the Dali Oberon 5 and Rotel A11 Tribute pairing, you had better like your music lively and energetic. The Oberon 5s with the Rotel went down comfortably to about 34Hz in my room, which is only a bit smaller than yours.

Upvote 0

Khazul

For EDM, then I think you will enjoy properly setup and driven floorstanders more then smaller stand mounts, however that may only hold true with a good amp to drive them and even then they may need a little taming via some kind of room correction unless you can give them a decent amount of space and maybe treat the room a little which I am guessing may not be practical.

However, for a given budget you will get a much better quality sound (except for reduced bass extension) from stand mounts and they may be less demanding on having a good chunky amp to drive them.

Subs can be a real pain to setup and blend in properly for pure hifi/music use without the ease of setup benefits of some kind of auto-setup and active crossover such as you get in some stereo receivers and AVRs. Also many AV subs usually include DSP which adds latency so I tend to prefer not to use them passively except with a very low crossover frequency as it can loosen the bass slightly without the latency compensation you get with an AVR or 2.1 receiver or by positioning it maybe 1m closer than your mains which may not be very practical.

While the room is a decent overall size, the listening area you describe is a lot smaller - 3x5m approx? In that area stand mounts should be fine, but equally it could stand floorstanders.

I have quite large floorstanders in a 5.5m x 6.5m solid floor room with the main listening area being about 3.5m x 3.5m of that, but of course with the advantage of alot of space around for the speakers to breath. To get the best out them and tame then I have ended up using room correction DSP and of course a chunky amp to drive them which tightened the bass up nicely. Without that amp however, I might actually prefer a decent 2.1 receiver (with room dsp and active crossover) and standmounts + sub to avoid loose bass from a less capable amp, but it depends on the sub.

I also have an excellent huge heavy pro-audio studio sub (analog - no latency inducing DSP and a through connection crossover to the mains) that is excellent for EDM and a pair of active speakers as well. I mention this as some have mentioned considering active speakers. They can be really good, but they are intended for a different use, different connections etc so it may be more awkward to get whatever input connectivity you need.

My taste - mostly house, trance and pretty much anything with a decent groove to it (soul etc) so a bit of a bass addict also, but tight+deep and dislike boomy.

As other have suggested, go and audition some combinations, but also bare in mind they will most likely sound very different in the room you describe depending how it gets furnished, speaker and listening positions etc, but should still give you a decent feel for a system you like.

Upvote 0

lindsayt

If you are happy to go second hand then you can get more bang for your buck.
2nd hand is the way to go for best sound for the money.

Or DIY. For £500ish you could buy 2 x Fane 12" full range drivers and then either DIY yourself or pay some money to a cabinet maker to put them in sealed cabinets. This project would get you really nice sounding speakers for the money.
There are other DIY speakers that would be satisfting sub £1200 projects.

Go to the Owston event on 27th & 28th November 2021 near Doncaster for plenty of hi-fi DIY inspiration.

Upvote 0

gava

2nd hand is the way to go for best sound for the money.

Or DIY. For £500ish you could buy 2 x Fane 12" full range drivers and then either DIY yourself or pay some money to a cabinet maker to put them in sealed cabinets. This project would get you really nice sounding speakers for the money.
There are other DIY speakers that would be satisfting sub £1200 projects.

Go to the Owston event on 27th & 28th November 2021 near Doncaster for plenty of hi-fi DIY inspiration.

Potentially higher rewards, but also higher risks.

Great for some, but not for others.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom