1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Firewire USB2 Hard Drive Cheapest?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by richkeys, Oct 7, 2004.

1. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help - Firewire USB2 Hard Drive Cheapest?

i'm after a 100gB to 200gB external firewire/usb2 harddrive anyone know a good online retailer for this? i've been told more than £1 per gB is too much...

Thanks,

Richkey

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Don't know about being the cheapest but Lacie triple interface drives (usb 2, firewire 400 & 800) are reliable, fast and well built.

Something like this: http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/product.aspx?SKU=E497301 seems a pretty good buy - 160gb, 7200rpm for 127quid.

:edit: or theres a 250gb one on there for just over 150quid.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    You might be better off buying an external enclosure case and an internal ide drive and putting the two together : its a piece of cake (wiring a plug is more difficult). I've got an icybox USB2/SATA (yep external sata) with a 300Gb maxtor hd in it . Works great fast enough to stream HD content.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Keith, sounds pretty good that do you have any links to the parts on how to do that as i wouldnt mind giving it a go, thanks inza.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Maxtor do some good/cheap external hard drives Ebuyer have a good selection in stock

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    icybox from scan.co.uk (they do numerous versions mine was about 30quid)
    HD whereever you can find one you want for a price you like. I went for the biggest one I could find which was a maxtor 300gb only 5400rpm but its fine even for streaming 1080i .ts and thats over USB2! Its a tad noisier than the seagate barracudas I normally use though.

I did recieve in the post an external sata bracket from bytewize in Canada. At the time this was the only place I could find ( in the world) that sold one and it took them over 2 months to get it to me by which time I had actually cancelled the order! And I was using USB2 which worked fine but now I might switch to sata with the new bracket ( its not necessarily needed but I didn't want a cable hanging out from the motherboard.

External sata is as fast as internal , no compromise with an external solution and its comparatively cheap if you have a free sata socket on your mobo.
    (the icybox I have takes a normal pata by the way not an sata drive even though it offers sata connectivity.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Keith so if i use an icybox via usb2 i could load a movie on that particular hard drive, then watch it from the same hard drive which should be quick enough to not cause any stopping of the video or stutter etc.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Certainly works for me . Make sure it is USB2 you are using though . I wouldn't trust USB1.0 but even that might be ok.