Help finding first closed-headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by benregn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. benregn

benregn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I need some help finding decent closed-headphones. These will be my first closed phones but I do own Sennheiser HD 555 and like the sound of them. However, since they are open I don't use them very often as I mostly listen when in public spaces or when someone is close to me.

I listen to a lot of electronic music, drum 'n bass, dubstep and trip-hop but also other genres like modern and classic rock. I exclusively listen to music from my MacBook Pro 2011 and my HTC Hero HD Android phone.

My budget is around £100. I might look into getting a headphone amp in the future.

Thanks a lot!

2. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  3. benregn

benregn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I actually already did that. You can hear the difference, ever so slightly. The 555's are good headphones, they just aren't right for my situations.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,579
  5. noisemaker

noisemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I know the HD428, but probably they will not work well with bass heavy songs. They are very neutral headphones, i can give some recommendations on another brands.

6. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    dubstep - try hiend denons powerful bass , with a good headphone amp like a graham slee solo

7. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    I bought a pair of beyer dynamic DT250s to double for a pair of senny HD600s when I needed closed back.

They have about as close as I could get to the frequency response of the HD600s but closed back , are built like tanks , have replacable components if something fails and are very comfortable for long periods.

Sound wise to me they sound very similar to the HD600s but with a bit less space on the soundstage ; very nice to listen to , hardly any colouration. They sound like they are not getting in the way of the music which is what I liked about the HD600s.

For portable duties I used shure se530s for years and loved them (possibly more than the hd600s). I'm now onto the se535s which I'm still getting used to and burning in ; so far not as isolating as the se530 even with the larger olives and they leak a bit more too ( my se530s were near silent in use).