Help finding a new LED TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by tcoleman1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. tcoleman1

tcoleman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Looking for a new tv and although I was attracted by a plasma it would be going in a room where I won't always have control over the lighting etc. I also currently have a Samsung LED and have been very happy with it.

I was looking at 50" but 46" LEDs are more in my price range. I have been extensively looking at various websites and these two tvs have caught my eye:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-46PFL4208T-1080p-Smart-FreeView/dp/B00CI4S3BO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productDescription

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE46F5000-46-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00BN8SR9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1375648162&sr=1-1

The Samsung obviously has more reviews than the Phillips but he Phillips does look good. I have also found it for £650 on the Argos website of all places.

So does anyone have any opinions on these two? I will mainly be using it for watching tv (both SD and HD) and playing games e.g. Fifa, Call of Duty etc. I understand motion blur and input lag an affect the playing of games, so would either of these be adequate for gaming.

My budget is about £700 at a stretch so any other recommendations would be very welcome. Apologies for the essay!

2. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  4. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    F5000 has nothing, for £700 you can get SMART TV & 3D with the Samsung F6400
    Philips 4208 has an IPS panel so bad contrast and it doesn`t play MKV files with DTS sound

:thumbsdow

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  5. tcoleman1

tcoleman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that Samsung looks brilliant. Easily worth the extra £80 as well. Have you ever dealt with sonicdirect before? Are they reputable?

6. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i know nothing about them, just took the lowest price from here: Samsung UE46F6400 | Price Comparison UK

7. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  8. tcoleman1

tcoleman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a downside but for the price I can't really complain. The review for the TV are good on HDTV test with only the 3D blu ray letting it down slightly and even then they said that was only because they were video purists.

What I am interesting in is how it would handle gaming? The review says the input lag is about 40/43ms which I understand is okay but not great. How would this TV handle games such as Call of Duty etc? I'm not a hardcore game when it comes to quick reflex games such as this but would any lag really be noticeable for me?

9. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sony KDL-47W805A has a lower input lag but it`s £900...or you could get the 42" for £750

10. tcoleman1

tcoleman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a 32inch which is rather smaller for my needs so minimum 46" is needed unfortunately and the Sony is out of my price range. Would that amount of lag really be noticeable? This is pretty much the only thing stopping me from buying it right now :D

11. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    the only way to find out could be to test it
    you could buy it from a store than accepts returns for any reason, carefully unpack it, test it and then decide

12. tcoleman1

tcoleman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will buy it. Tbh I have played on many different TV's (be it mine or friends) playing a range of games. I have no idea the input lag of those TV's and tbh unless it was something very high I probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

Cheers for the help Vril.