• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help finding a 4K Gaming TV around 60Inch

LiamV89

Novice Member
Help finding a 4K Gaming TV around 60Inch

Hello! It’s been a fair few years since I posted here and the last time I did I ended up purchasing one of the recommended TVs and it’s still going strong, all 32 inches of it. 38 if you include the massive bezel.

I’ve been looking to purchase a new TV for my Gaming/Movie room and was originally looking at 49/50 Inch Sony and Panasonic. However, tonight I decided to place a piece of cardboard onto the wall where the TV will be mounted and it looks a bit lost.

I will be sitting approximately 4.5ft away from the screen. The TV stand below measures 130cm/ 51 inches across so a screen that fits within this width would probably look better.

Would you recommend a screen size of 60 inches that close to where I am sitting?

As the TV is primarily for gaming my requirements are that it has low input lag and HDR.
I’ve been told its one or the other though when it comes to gaming. You either run the TV in Game mode for the lowest input lag times. Or you turn HDR on and suffer higher input speeds. I suppose this is something that I could live with, switching between the two depending on what type of game I am on.

I have a budget of around £1000, couldn’t (shouldn’t but can) really stretch much further than that as I don’t actually have a PS4 Pro yet to take advantage of the 4K screen.

TLDR

60ish Inch Gaming TV around £1000

4K HDR

Low Input Lag

HDMI ports suited for wall mounting

Dodgexander

Optimal distance with UHD is 4ft from 65" slightly less for 60". You should get the biggest you can afford, so given there's very limited choice at 60" I would look at 65 also.

However with your budget you are not going to be able to afford a tv that has anything more than better colour with a HDR source. Colour is just one part of HDR. To get a tv that has good overall HDR picture quality you would be looking at spending quite a bit more.

Tv's that fit your budget if you can find them would be the Hisense M7000 and Panasonic DX-750.

But I think you would be wiser waiting and saving for better, you'll want a tv that has at least decent HDR, not only just better colour.

Btw, HDR input lag isn't usually a problem now but it can depend on the model.

HDMI ports rear or side doesn't matter for wall mounting. Every tv is designed with wall mounting in mind. If there's rear facing ports you need to use just use L shaped HDMI connectors.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
55" at 4.5' is the same angular size as a 24" monitor at 2' so I'd say that's pretty reasonable. Once you get up to 75" it might get a bit uncomfortable but you're not going to get a 75" HDR screen on that budget.

There are TVs with the same input lag inside and outside of HDR mode, so that's a myth. What sort of value are you sensitive to?

In terms of HDR TVs around £1k you've got Samsung's KS models still available, and I'd expect Sony's XE90 to come down to that price over the next few months. There's the occasional ex-display XD93 going for that money too.

All in 55" though, as Xander says for 60-65" there's just nothing credible in budget.

LiamV89

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice so far.
I have the money but was kind of limiting myself as I've never spent over £800 on a TV before.

Currently in the living room I have a Sony Bravia Kdl50w755c which I'm quite happy with for gaming it's around 24ms? I plan to leave my PS4 downstairs with that TV.

However for my gaming room I plan to purchase a PS4 pro and UHD bluray player which will work best with the 4K TV and surround sound I have.

My cousin has a 60 or 65 KS7000 and he's happy with that, not sure how much he paid for that though.

Without going bonkers with money what is a more realistic budget for what I'm after? Which models should I be looking at? I don't care if it's last year's model either, they're just harder to find now.

Dodgexander

At your budget regardless of size really you are looking at models that only show better colour with HDR at best, you would need to save up a bit more to be able to afford a TV like the Samsung KS series that meets UHD premium specs and gets a lot brighter with HDR...which is kind of what HDR is all about.

Right now the best you could afford would probably be the Hisense 65M7000 which will have better colour with HDR, but not the brightness or local dimming.

In all honesty you are better off saving up for something better for decent HDR...unless you can somehow find a KS series TV like your cousin that's a refurb/open box/second hand for close to your budget.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Currently in the living room I have a Sony Bravia Kdl50w755c which I'm quite happy with for gaming it's around 24ms? I plan to leave my PS4 downstairs with that TV.

You don't say how much is too much for you. Is it something you're worrying about because it's been pointed out rather than because you've noticed it personally.

If that's the case then it's worth mentioning that it isn't the delay between pushing a button and happening but only the portion of that delay that's down to the screen. I'm not familiar with the PS4 but the first search result I got suggested the console itself had a 120ms delay when playing Tekken 7.

So when you're playing a game like Tekken 7. 48ms isn't double your current 24ms, it's an additional 24ms added onto the current 144ms, or 16% more.

Without going bonkers with money what is a more realistic budget for what I'm after? Which models should I be looking at? I don't care if it's last year's model either, they're just harder to find now.

At 55" or 65"? There's a big difference in prices. There's not much in the way of 60" high end TVs, your Friend's KS7000 is the only one I can think of.

At 55" you don't need to spend much more, the options above and maybe the DX902 are all within a couple of hundred or soon will be.

At 65" you'd be looking at closer to £2k. Samsung's KS9500 was £2100 a couple of months ago which was a great option but is closer to £2500 at the moment. If you want to go cheaper than the Philips 65PUS7601 at £1450 is supposed to be a great TV in terms of it's local dimming quality, although lacking the impact of the higher peak brightness.

LiamV89

Novice Member
Thanks guys. If I'm going to get a new TV it's going to have to be a high spec one which will mean spending a bit more. I'd rather spend that extra and be happy than spend less and think what if. £2k is a bit much though, I'd definitely have to tell a few porkies if anyone asked how much I paid.

I'll be keeping my eye on the prices of some of the reccomened TVs to see if I can grab a bargain. looking around it's unlikely I will be able to get hold of a KS7000 from anywhere.

Ideally I'd like to get my TV from Richer Sounds as the staff in my local store are helpful and most of the items they stock come with a long warranty or one can be purchased at least.

Are there any tools you guys use for finding the best price for a particular model? It was mentioned that one of the TVs will reduce soon. Is that due to new models coming in?

LiamV89

Novice Member
He managed to get his KS7000 from John Lewis for £900 apparently. Sometime early this year or late last year when he bought his new house.
Absolute steal...

Dodgexander

The only chance you really have getting something from richer is either asking them to ring round different stores or look at refurb/ex displays. Prices generally take the same path each year. They lower once you get to black friday onward. Come spring time they will be at their lowest as they are trying to get rid of older stock in time for new models.

Right now the models with lower turnaround can still be found, hence why curved versions are in stock and flat models tend not to be.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys. If I'm going to get a new TV it's going to have to be a high spec one which will mean spending a bit more. I'd rather spend that extra and be happy than spend less and think what if. £2k is a bit much though, I'd definitely have to tell a few porkies if anyone asked how much I paid.

How long are you likely to keep it? If you keep it ten years then £2000 is not a particularly large amount for a piece of technology you use on a daily or almost daily basis. Many people spend as much or more on a smartphone or gaming systems. If you had an original PS4 at launch, bought a few controllers for it and now a PS4 Pro you must be up to £700-800 spent on that in the last three and a half years.

Are there any tools you guys use for finding the best price for a particular model? It was mentioned that one of the TVs will reduce soon. Is that due to new models coming in?

No, most models launch in the spring and then drop in price as the year goes on, with many of the notable discounts happening for Christmas. There don't tend to be discounts directly tied to the launches.

LiamV89

Novice Member
How long are you likely to keep it? If you keep it ten years then £2000 is not a particularly large amount for a piece of technology you use on a daily or almost daily basis. Many people spend as much or more on a smartphone or gaming systems. If you had an original PS4 at launch, bought a few controllers for it and now a PS4 Pro you must be up to £700-800 spent on that in the last three and a half years.

You must work in sales haha

You make a good point and it’s how I usually decide on how much to spend on stuff.
I would probably keep the TV indefinitely, that is until it breaks or there is a massive improvement in display technology. I’d be very disappointed if I spent £2000 on a new TV for it to go wrong after a few years but as most come with long warranties that shouldn’t be a problem. My 32" LG is a good 10 years old and works fine.

Dodgexander

There are sweet spots in value in my opinion. Diminishing returns kick in once you go past mid range TVs.

At 65"/60" prices are usually a lot higher than 55/58, probably due to the smaller size selling better here in the UK. This is especially true with OLEDs, that have traditionally been a lot more expensive in 65" vs LCDs compared to 55" vs LCDs.

You may not find them anymore but the sweet points in value were when you could obtain the Samsung 65KS7000 for £1500 or the Panasonic 65DX902 for less than 2k. I would again look at spending this much on mid range TVs in 2017/early 2018.

The Sony XE90 and XE93 look prime candidates to lower in price, as will Samsungs Q series. I am hoping that by spring next year we will see the 65XE90 at around £1700 and the XE93 close to 2k.

OLEDs should be getting more competition soon also, so hopefully that will mean by spring next year we see more reductions on 65" models rather than 55". Obtaining a B7/C7 close to 2k at 65 would be a bargain, I don't think thats very far off at all.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
At present as dodgeaxender said, for a 60inch+ screen, ur best option is the samsung KS7000 or panasonic DX902.

The kicker is you might be late to the party as they all seem to be sold out. I'd try and get a second hand set if so.

Or I'd settle for a very cheap 60'' LCD if its a matter or urgency and wait for the pricedrops next summer.

The OLEDs are massively overpriced after 55'' and diminishing returns more than kicks in. An extra 1k buys you half a new TV next year or the year after with better tech, better OLED reliability, better refresh rates etc.

When 65'' gets <2k (I think that'll personally be 2 years time), then we are in with some great deals. Then again, LCD/LED Tvs might get EVEN bigger, and I have a 65 inch set right now but if my room was a bit bigger, I could easily see myself settling for a 70inch+ screen. Its just ridiculously cinematic.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
4.5ft from the screen? Get a 55". More than big enough IMHO. We're all going to end up sitting 5 cm away from a 100" screen if we keep taking the "official advice" on resolution/screen size/distance benefit.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
4.5ft from the screen? Get a 55". More than big enough IMHO. We're all going to end up sitting 5 cm away from a 100" screen if we keep taking the "official advice" on resolution/screen size/distance benefit.

Can't help but disagree.

Screen size is soooo underrated. Ask anyone who rocks a projector.

LiamV89

Novice Member
There's a refurbished KS8000 55" in my local richer sounds for £849

What do you recon? Comes with a 12 month warranty
Would prefer it if it came with 6 years tbh.

Dodgexander

I'm pretty sure people have bargained to get the full warranty with refurbs. Will depend on who you get at the store though I guess.

Apart from that it's a fantastic deal. Nothing comes close to that value anymore.

Alas the days of picking up a £999 refurb Panasonic 58DX-902 on eBay seem to be gone.

Last edited:

LiamV89

Novice Member
When I phoned about the item I found out it's on display but has had something replaced in the past. The person I spoke to said the extended warranty isn't something he would be able to offer.

On top of this he reccomened a New Sony around £850 a 700 series or something. Seemed to think the ks8000 was really slow and no good for gaming.
Sometimes they get it spot on there other times I'm left more confused than when I went in.

As I'm in no rush for the right TV I guess it's the waiting game for the right TV at the right price.

Dodgexander

You might find it a help to read an old thread I made for HDR gaming, its all 2016 models and if you can still find one at a good price that matches what you can afford go for it. Otherwise I would wait for prices to become more affordable on this years releases: HDR TVs for gamers - Buying Guide

I don't think the KS8000 is a bad deal at that price, it is, especially when you look at how much you have to pay to get a TV thats more or less equal in 2017 right now. Its up to you if you want to risk the warranty or not. It will probably be fine but you never know.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom