HELP!: Faulty Sony KV-36HQ100B CRT TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Syler08, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Syler08

Syler08
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At the risk of highlighting that I'm probably the only person in the UK still using a CRT TV, I'm hoping someone can advise.

Just got in from work to find my trusted Sony KV-36HQ100B CRT TV dead. :(

It powers up but there is no picture or sound and none of the remote functions appear to work.

I suspect the tube may have died but wondered if there is any way of confirming this - I have noticed, in recent months, the picture would sometimes lighten/darken.

Also, in this day and age is it possible to get it repaired and if so, would it be economical?

Probably won't be able to source a replacement until Thursday so will have to, shock horror read a book tonight! :boring:

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. xyzbird

xyzbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Classic signs of bad soldered connections. These can lead to faults and failures. Repairable. You need to contact a reputable dealer.

Very unlikely that the tube has gone.

3. Syler08

Syler08
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Appreciate the reply.

Any guesstimate of repair cost?

4. xyzbird

xyzbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No, sorry. But perhaps it is a good time to condider buying something more up to date. It's a shame really. I took 2 perfectly good Grundig 26" TV's to the tip a while ago. Nobody wants them. I used to do a lot of repair work myself. Now have a 46" LED wonder with Freeview, Satellite (even cable if I wanted), and of course the internet.

5. Syler08

Syler08
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Again, appreciate the reply.

The full story is it's actually my elderly folks TV and they have no need for the latest and greatest tech.

Also, as you say, it's a shame to ditch a perfectly good TV if it can be repaired for a modest cost.

It's a pain, but if they can wait a week, I should be able to get some idea of repair cost.

In the meantime, have hooked them up with a 14" Sony. Ouch!

6. Pontecorvo

Pontecorvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this is not too off-topic, but I have a similar Sony wide Trinitron, a KV 32, which functions great which I am happy to hang on to until it claps out as I only use Freeview and have a Humax PVR and a LiteOn DVD player plugged in by Scart.

However, it has started doing something annoying. The remote (the correct Sony one which came with the set) has an annoying delay of several seconds before it switches the set on or off. And adjusting the volume, and using input select, is very tiresome and chancy. I usually use the volume control on the PVR when watching Freeview or recordings, but it becomes necessary to use the set remote with the separate DVD player, as well as switching input. The face of the infra red receiver on the TV is clean, so is the one on the remote, and the batteries are good. Any ideas?

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,553
    Energy saving lamps...any in the vicinity of the set?
    They're known to radiate IR blocking and interfering with remotes.

8. xyzbird

xyzbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have similar problems with a Sony remote. It seems that butttons that get the most use suffer. The carbonised pad on the end of the button that contacts the circuitry gets worn. You could try another remote to prove this.

9. Pontecorvo

Pontecorvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee. Interesting. But no, no ES bulbs nearby.
    One DIY post I googled suggested cleaning the IR surfaces with cotton bud and denatured alcohol (which I did, but with meths) and then if it still didn't go, gulp, teasing off the IR receiver window with a jeweller's screwdriver and cleaning the IR receiver and gently putting everything back. Sounds risky to me and it wasn't specific to this model.

I saw something else that said the IR receiver can wear out. Is that a common thing? Set is five years old although functioning perfectly in every other way.

Thanks too xyz. That sounds plausible, though the on/off works best of the lot and the volume, mute and input buttons are the worst. Maybe they make the pad for the on/off hardest wearing. I don't know if this is relevant, but what I have to do is hold the button down, and then it works with a delay.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,553
    If it's only certain buttons on the remote that are giving trouble simply prise it apart after removing any screws (sometimes in the battery compartment) and clean the rubber membrane in soapy water and the pads on the pcb with isopropyl alcohol and afer drying/reassembly that should restore normal operation.
    I've never experienced IR receivers wearing out...they either work or they don't.

11. Pontecorvo

Pontecorvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you all. I've done it, thanks to your help. Massive improvement.
    I detected what was probably some sugary drink deposit from ages back in there and cleaned it up with meths on the circuit board and washing up on the push buttons followed by a very thorough dry out.

For anyone else's future reference, the trickiest part is teasing off the two parts of the remote's shell without damaging them. Teasing in a blade or a jeweller's screwdriver does turn out to be the best way, prising it open with firm and steady pressure.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013