• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HELP! External hard drive making my computer crawl...

derricktrotter

Standard Member
I have a Targa DataBox III 300 300GB USB hard drive which I have had for a few years now. To begin with it worked absolutley fine. One day out of the blue problems began.

The device is being recognised and I can access it but it slows down my whole computer - not just the drive i'm accessing. It can take up to 10 minutes to open a folder on the drive - it even slows down Internet Explorer! Once I switch the drive off, my computer returns back to normal.

I've tried a new USB lead and a better power supply but no joy. I have also scanned the drive for viruses but again no luck.

Anybody help me?

cjb

Standard Member
I'm having probs with my USB drive but I think yours is more basic.
Obvious method to see if its the drive or your PC is plug it into another PC if you can. That will shorten the odds considerably.
Alternately, if you have another spare IDE drive of any size, open up the external box and swap the drives over, then see if that drive is working OK.
These things are so cheap now that if u have had it some time I think it has earned its keep, but if the above proves the drive OK but the interface is bad, then get another enclosure.
If u want to be very cheeky, take it to a PCWorld store with Techguys service point .. on a quiet day.. and ask them to check it out cos 'you want to buy another one !!'

I am assuming you haven't dropped it or 'someone' in the house might have dislodged it !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom