HELP - Electrical Question ?

152bobby

Hi,

I'm expecting this to be really simple for someone

I want to change the bathroom ceiling light pull switch (see photos of old one and new one).

I was expecting this to be really simple, three wires, one Earth - yellow & green (Simple and can't get wrong), the others are Red - Live and the Black - Neutral.

So I have put the yellow and green to earth, the red wire to one of the L for Live and the black to one of the N for Neutral....it doesn't work. The red power light on the new switch comes on, but the actual light does not come on !!!

So I took the new one off and put the old one back on and light works !!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the new switch ? Or is it the wrong switch !!

Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_171127061.jpg
    PXL_20211122_171127061.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20211122_171120134.jpg
    PXL_20211122_171120134.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20211122_114639864.jpg
    PXL_20211122_114639864.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20211122_114650962.jpg
    PXL_20211122_114650962.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 41

Aerojon

thats not a light switch it's a shower power switch hence the 2 L & n terminals one side for supply other for load

Pull light switches>> :thumbsup:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You can use that switch, but the neon on it won't work.

Just connect the red and black wires to the 2 live terminals and ignore the neutral terminals.

All you need to do to operate the light is to complete the circuit. With a shower you provide full isolation, so the wiring is more complex.

152bobby

DOH !!!!🤣 I fancied a square one for a change !!! Guess I'll just get the usual round one then.
Cheers

John7

Pah! I hate pull cord switches. Incidentally, the Black wire at your switch is NOT a neutral. It is Live (or Switched Live) and should be over-sleeved with red or brown sleeving to identify it. The actual Neutral wire will be at the light fitting in the ceiling.

I used one of these to replace my old pull switch - you do need a neutral line for the module though. I bought the one with two switches, so I have a backup switch in case one fails.

The switches do not require batteries and are simply fixed with adhesive pads. Been using for just over a year now, with no issues.

Amazon product

Last edited:

152bobby

You can use that switch, but the neon on it won't work.

Just connect the red and black wires to the 2 live terminals and ignore the neutral terminals.

All you need to do to operate the light is to complete the circuit. With a shower you provide full isolation, so the wiring is more complex.
Thanks, I can live without the neon light and it's working now...cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom