1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help editing DV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dood, Feb 28, 2002.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have just bought a canon mv 300 dv cam. I've installed a texas instruments firewire card into my PC. I am running windows me (upgraded from win 98). I also have a fujifilm 6800zoom digital stills camera and the software for that includes videoimpression.

Questions:

What software is recommended for editing dv - I can choose between windows movie maker anf the fuji videoimpression at the moment.

The images on the PC are not great. Before spending on getting my DV in enabled, I'd like to know if the image quality on the dv tape after being edited on the PC will be as good as the original, or is this affected by the firewire card, PC and software?

How do I copy my edited movies onto VCD? I have seen that the files are .mov files. Can VCDs be made from these or do they have to be converted to .avi or other formats.

What software do I need to burn VCDs. I have Nero 5.

Once I have created VCDs, can they be viewed on DVD players as well as PCs?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm very new at this and need simple advice. Thanks.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Questions:

Q1 - What software is recommended for editing dv - I can choose between windows movie maker anf the fuji videoimpression at the moment.

A1 - Take your pick as there are loads of different packages out there to suit all budgets. Personally I use Premiere 6 but only because I was able to claim the huge cost back on expenses.

Look through some of the magazine websites as they seem to be doing loads of reviews on this sort of software at the moment.

Q2 - The images on the PC are not great. Before spending on getting my DV in enabled, I'd like to know if the image quality on the dv tape after being edited on the PC will be as good as the original, or is this affected by the firewire card, PC and software?

A2 - They should loose no quality in theory.

Q3 - How do I copy my edited movies onto VCD? I have seen that the files are .mov files. Can VCDs be made from these or do they have to be converted to .avi or other formats.

A3 - Get hold of a program (FREE) called TMPGEnc (search google for link).

Q4 - What software do I need to burn VCDs. I have Nero 5.

A4 - I also use Nero 5 and it works fine (once I have run the file through the above application.

Q5 - Once I have created VCDs, can they be viewed on DVD players as well as PCs?

A5 - Some DVD players will play VCD, some wont.

If you go here, www.vcdhelp.com it is all explained in great detail together with links to software.