Help! Echostar HDT 610R remote not working

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by AmyH, May 9, 2016.

1. AmyH

AmyH
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, new to this forum so I hope I get the etiquette right! A bit archaic for 2016 I know, but we have an Echostar HDT 610R PVR. For some months now the remote has been tricky, buttons not responding unless pressed multiple times. We thought it was the batteries, changed them and indeed it worked perfectly for a few days. Then it totally packed up, the machine doesn't respond to the controller at all. Here's the thing: I don't think it is the batteries because when you press any button the blue LED light on the remote control does light up, suggesting batteries are giving power.

From my own research I suspect the controller needs repairing with the machine or I need to do a factory reset, but despite trawling the internet I cannot work out how to do this. It's not even in the user manual which I found online. There are instructions for pairing with the TV - which is not our specific problem, but I did try the technique outlined for this function of pressing channel minus and plus at the same time and the LED display does respond as it should, suggesting that if I knew how to do it I could probably use the controller to reset it with the machine. But I can't find out how to do this...

The really irritating part of this is that this particular model has no buttons on the actual machine at all - meaning that it's totally reliant on the controller.

We cannot afford to upgrade at the moment and don't want to lose hundreds of hours of recording. Please, has anyone else had this problem and if so could you fix it and how? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    You cannot rule out a fault in the remote just because the led on it lights up. All infrared remote controls have an IR emitter (small transparent-looking bulb) at the end which you point at the equipment and if that isn't working that means it's not emitting IR...you cannot see this with the naked eye.
    You said it worked after replacing the batteries, it's very common for all remotes to accumulate "gunk" over the years under the buttons leading to no or intermittent operation and premature failure of the batteries.

The buttons are usually part of a rubber membrane which have conductive paint on the underside of the buttons and these press down on a circuit board.
    All remotes controls can be prised apart, some have a screw or two (often in the battery compartment) and once these are removed use a flat-bladed screwdriver to prise the two halves of the remote apart. The rubber membrane and circuit board can then be separated and cleaned. You'll find a wet sticky residue on them, Isopropyl Alcohol can be used to give it a thorough clean but good old soapy water and an old toothbrush or a cloth can do the job just as effectively provided they're thoroughly dried before reassembling. Play a hairdryer on a low heat setting on them to speed up the drying process.

The IR emitter at the top of the circuit board has two short leads soldered to the board, it's very common for these to be "dry-jointed" meaning one or both of the leads have cracked solder joints...these can be seen with the aid of a good magnifying glass, it's just a case of re-soldering these and also check the circuit board for other dry joints.
    Of course something else which is very common on all remotes causing no or intermittent operation is a hairline crack on the circuit board caused by the remote having been dropped.
    These are rarely repairable and the only course of action is to get a new remote.

Last edited: May 9, 2016