Help - eBay not abiding by their Money Back Guarantee Policy and Closed case in favour of Seller

I even just got an email - I think it is linked to eBay these days - saying,

"Your parcel is now with your local Hermes courier for delivery". But that was for the non case parcel.

For the case I lost parcel, chat says,

"OK, this is the latest update I have for the parcel Today @ 15:39 With your courier Your friendly local courier will try to deliver between 18:00 and 20:00 Sent by Packlink".

And for the non case parcel, chat says,

" OK, this is the latest update I have for the parcel Today @ 15:39 With your courier Your friendly local courier will try to deliver between 18:00 and 20:00 Sent by Packlink",

So, same van I assume.

The other Hermes parcel should be on the same van for delivery today. I actually no longer want this item and the seller knows, informed them last week. Should I refuse and return to sender? Seller said I can but it may take a short while (delays, too). He also said to make it clear to the carrier
If you go down this way, type out a document stating the details of return.
Than get the driver to sign this doc' with date & time. Then get him to print his name, so you know who he is. A photo to of him holding the item, in view of his van with Reg number.!!!.
Also ask for his finger print. DOB, & his mothers name.

Have I covered everything????

If you go down this way, type out a document stating the details of return.
Than get the driver to sign this doc' with date & time. Then get him to print his name, so you know who he is. A photo to of him holding the item, in view of his van with Reg number.!!!.
Also ask for his finger print. DOB, & his mothers name.

I've done similar before! Yes, good idea. But alas, As above, it is still too risky and I fear that will still not protect me. I mean, just read the debacle this case was. If I have ZERO buyer protection, what is the point, you know? I know that sounds painful and stupid and cynical to say this being eBay, but that is exactly what happened with this case and proceedings with eBay today. I would have walked away from eBay forever today after my experience and their treatment of me, but I need them as much as they do not need me!!

No! You forgot to tell me to ask him to smile and say, 'cheese!'.

I'm going to take a punt that Ebay found in favour of the seller because they could see that a delivery was attempted yesterday and therefore it isn't lost yet.

I'm going to take a punt that Ebay found in favour of the seller because they could see that a delivery was attempted yesterday and therefore it isn't lost yet.

Sure, if only the could have simply explained that!

Thank you for your input, Giant.

Just to clarify, delivery was originally attempted Sat 21, one day after cut off.

I completely understand your point. I am just still angry about the lies/ errors the agents kept giving me, telling it was delivered over and over again, getting the tracking dates wrong, and other nonsense. And then one Manager closing the chat on me. In a twisted way, they obviously did not know how to help or could probably do nothing. Just a mind boggling experience and perhaps the worst I have ever had on any marketplace.

But once closed, eBay can’t reopen it so if it was to become ‘officially’ lost at the end of the week, eBay wouldn’t be able to take any action to resolve it as they’ve already closed it & ruled in the sellers favour.

They should’ve ‘parked it’ until it either arrived or officially could be ruled as lost. Don’t understand why they’ve rushed to judgement here.

I completely understand your point. I am just still angry about the lies/ errors the agents kept giving me, telling it was delivered over and over again, getting the tracking dates wrong, and other nonsense. And then one Manager closing the chat on me. In a twisted way, they obviously did not know how to help or could probably do nothing. Just a mind boggling experience and perhaps the worst I have ever had on any marketplace.
You just told me you submitted the complaint last night, 25 Nov.

Can we get this timeline correct?
Ordered on the 17th?
Attempted delivery 21st?
Another attempt on the 24th?

What was the deadline?

But once closed, eBay can’t reopen it so if it was to become ‘officially’ lost at the end of the week, eBay wouldn’t be able to take any action to resolve it as they’ve already closed it & ruled in the sellers favour.

Yes, that is true @hippo99. I was told I can appeal with the proof of non-delivery (as twisted as that sounds) which I cannot obtain for reasons previously outlined. Not sure how long I have. Furthermore, the link to do this takes me to a page to upload documents to prove I am the seller of items (I actually had to do this once as a seller). So, that is a mess in itself I am assuming. Otherwise, I guess it will also functions for this situation. If it magically gets returned to sender within good time, that would be nice if evident on the tracking, eBay should see that and refund me. Otherwise, I will be left to opening a PayPal dispute. Failing that, trading standards in my area someone suggested. The fact that you can't contact a human being at Hermes or fill in a form is absolutely ludicrous.

Someone suggested to me earlier a problem whereby we seem to have the impending Brexit, so all online sights are constantly making changes to their policies and terms and conditions, thus everything has become confusing. I am not certain how true that might be. But eBay's terms and conditions read the same to me when I checked today and going by that they completely betrayed me and abused them. Miss Mandy on here earlier raised a very strong point and or other(s), that my contract is with eBay, not Hermes. And this means to me that it should be the seller's responsibility to facilitate in resolving the delivery and proof. The seller should be the one providing electronic and signatory proof to eBay, not I providing proof of non-delivery.

Brick wall after brick wall, with a maze of trap doors, inconsistencies and what simply came across as insulting lies and distrust from the eBay representatives earlier. Well, the system failed thus far indeed.

You just told me you submitted the complaint last night, 25 Nov.

Ordered on the 17th?
Attempted delivery 21st?
Another attempt on the 24th?

What was the deadline?

You just told me you submitted the complaint last night, 25 Nov - correct

Ordered on the 17th? - correct
Attempted delivery 21st? - correct
Another attempt on the 24th? - incorrect, no other attempt made as promised by Hermes/ tracking 0 they were meant to reattempt next working day, which was Mon 23. Delivery now due to be attempted within the next 30 minutes. But I have a feeling it won't be, sadly.

What was the deadline? - Originally, Fri 20

17:14 - Fri 20 Nov
Your parcel is on its way to you today

15:06 - Sat 21 Nov
We tried to deliver your parcel today but you weren't in or there was no safe place to leave it. We'll try again on the next working day.

14:18 - Wed 25 Nov
Your parcel is on its way to you today

15:39 - Wed 25 Nov
Your friendly local courier will try to deliver between 18:00 and 20:00 today

My mistake, I misread "no delivery by the 24th" as an attempted delivery.

You just told me you submitted the complaint last night, 25 Nov - correct
It's the 25th today, last night was the 24th.
Ebay have checked with Hermes and it's still in transit, so as far as they are concerned it's not lost yet. It's on a van and may come tonight, or not. Submitting a refund claim before Hermes has admitted they've lost it or them may have prejudiced your ability to submit the claim again.

Ebay have checked with Hermes and it's still in transit, so as far as they are concerned it's not lost yet. It's on a van and may come tonight, or not. Submitting a refund claim before Hermes has admitted they've lost it or them may have prejudiced your ability to submit the claim again.

No claim to be made with Hermes as not their customer. Now an eBay claim has been opened and closed that’s finished too. If annoying ebay by phone doesn’t work then the only course of action might be small claims but that will be complicated.

I follow you. Well, it's a no show. I can't submit another claim, the decision was final. I can only appeal. Hopefully I find a way to get proof of non delivery that eBay want. But I still do not know how to speak to a human being at Hermes or email/ message them via a form. As far as I am aware there is no way.

Not sure what else Ebay could have done, as the parcel hasn't been lost yet or even delivered anywhere, even to a wrong house.

Tho not sure how the seller got them to intervene so early?

No claim to be made with Hermes as not their customer. Now an eBay claim has been opened and closed that’s finished too. If annoying ebay by phone doesn’t work then the only course of action might be small claims but that will be complicated.

Thank you Mary. Will try whatever else I can via eBay first, and on the phone. Otherwise, PayPal claim. What is a small claims?

I follow you. Well, it's a no show. I can't submit another claim, the decision was final. I can only appeal. Hopefully I find a way to get proof of non delivery that eBay want. But I still do not know how to speak to a human being at Hermes or email/ message them via a form. As far as I am aware there is no way.

Use the help on their website you can email them. Small claims court.

Not sure what else Ebay could have done, as the parcel hasn't been lost yet or even delivered anywhere, even to a wrong house.

Tho not sure how the seller got them to intervene so early?
Goods expected by Friday 20th.
Delivery attempted on the 21st, OP wasn't there.
Next working day "that we will try" would be the 23rd.
Complained on the 24th...

Thrown out by Ebay as too early to complain.
Did the seller intervene or did Ebay just ask him for tracking?

Knowing Hermes, it could still come tomorrow.

Last edited:
Should I message the seller and ask them for help? For example, if they can try contacting Hermes? I know there is nothing they can really do but I feel so wrong done and they have done nothing to help me.

Does anyone know how the seller asked eBay to review the case?

- I opened it on 24 Nov and requested a refund.
- Morning of 25 Nov, I received emails for each item in the order with cases open saying, "The seller asked us to review this case and make a final decision"

But in the case it said I have until the 28 Nov at which point I could ask eBay to step in to make a final decision. So, how did the seller manage to ask eBay to step in instead of I? That seems utterly crazy and wrong. Never had this happen in a case before.

Also, what is more upsetting and frustrating is the following. One item in the order I forgot to open a case for. Soon after all the others closed in the seller's favour, I got an email saying,

This case is now closed​

Hello...​

Based on your communications with the seller, we see that you received the item.​

After reviewing all the details of this case, we've determined that you won't receive a refund.​

The third sentence is not true, of course.

That said, @IronGiant, I guess you are spot on with why eBay have won it in favour of the seller, as for all the other items, the emails say,

"We received tracking information from the seller that shows the item was delivered to your address or will be arriving shortly".

Tbh if I was the seller I’d probably ignore you. The time communicate was before opening a case and damaging their seller ratings.

Hermes still have your parcel by all accounts, which is a positive, just keep going for re-delivery?

There's nothing Ebay and seller can do about the parcel itself, keep chasing it up, it hasn't been lost.

Tbh if I was the seller I’d probably ignore you. The time communicate was before opening a case and damaging their seller ratings.

Not sure what you mean by "and damaging their seller ratings". I communicated before opening a case every day with the seller. But yes, I agree with you on your former point; the lesson here for me was to wait longer and be patient and not jump ahead with a case so early. And maybe never buy anything again if a seller is using Hermes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom