1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - easy Sky transfer to box with optical?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jmcardle, Jun 1, 2005.

1. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

Need some suggestions on which box to go for. Looking to transfer my Sky card (not Sky+) from existing Grundig to a new box that has an optical out and Freeview. The optical is needed to feed sound to my Denon AVR3802. Need Freeview because I intend to dump Sky after the British Lions tour (so Sky+ is not an option - <rant>they've had enough of my money and I'm sick to death of logos and on-screen adverts for Haunted Weekend etc </rant>))

Misc Info (just in case):

Display - Hitachi 32LD7200 connected to Panasonic EMR85 DVD via component and optical :)clap: )
    Sky - Grundig Sky box connected to Hitachi AV2 from TV (RGB) Scart.
    Sky Sound - Sound connected to Denon AVR3802 via red & white co-ax (TV/DBS In)
    DVD - connected to Sky box via Video scart

Obviously, trying to get surround where poss and the red & white co-ax will only deliver 5 channel stereo as far as I know. Optical (dependent on broadcast) is presumably the way to go.

System still in set-up phase so any suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

Cheers

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sky+ is the only Sky reciever which can deliver DD 5.1 audio via the optical lead (and that's only available on selected programmes on Sky Movies 1,2 and 3 and The Disney Channel). I think there was an old Sony Sky reciever which had an optical out but 5.1 was never implemented on them and I can't remember if indeed the optical output was fully disabled?

Someone might want to correct me on this but I think you can recieve a Dolby Surround signal via the phonos (dependant on programme) but I could be wrong.

Sorry, doesn't exactly answer your question.

Nathan

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As the previous poster correctly stated, the Sky+ box is the only one with optical output, and Dolby Digital is only on Sky Movies 1, 2, 3 & some Disney Channel programmes.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    My Pioneer Freeview box has an optical out and is DD certified. However, there are no plans by any current freeview broadcaster to transmit material including DD.

5. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ah well, that sorts that problem out then.

As i plan to rent all my DYDs from Tesco for £13.99 a month (unlimited) it seems a abit silly to pay £40 or so for the occasional decent programme on Sky 1 - so Bye Bye Sky post the Lions (victorious) tour :hiya:

Thanks for the input :thumbsup: