Help e Choose LG DNX190UH or Phillips DVP5960/05

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mattressback, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mattressback

mattressback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    these players seem identical, is one better than the other?

ive heard the phillips doesnt have a fast forward button on the remote only chapter skip is this true? how does that work for long divx files with no chapters???

in its favour i understand you can play divx directly from usb on the philips so long as its the right kind of usb stick

can you play divx from the usb on the LG? if you can then i think ill go for the LG

help me decide please
    mike

2. AntonioMS

AntonioMS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought this yesterday and returned it today. It was the worst DVD player I have ever bought. The build is horrendous, the tray feels like a piece of paper and that it could snap off any second... The blues were over processed... Revenge of the Sith would play for 5 seconds and then just go haywire. The Two Towers would skip a second every now and then. The remote and OSD are cheap and tacky and the remote needs absolute direct line of sight to work.

I've had about 8 DVD players in the past 9 years and I have had ones that cost £20 that produced a better result than this.

I'm now off to buy what I should have bought, an Oppo.

3. mgoode180566

mgoode180566
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Which one ? LG or Philips ? I have just ordered a Philips 5960 from Laskys.com
    £49.99 all in.

4. mattressback

mattressback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    lol i wondered which one he meant as well, i suspect he means the philips but i have also ordered a philips 5960 before his reply was posted, theres a lot of good things posted about it and not much negative except the remote been a bit naff but it cant be any worse than my yamada remote.

I see the philips as a cheap stop gap till HD dvd players are more affordable, as long as it plays divx well ill be happy .

5. AntonioMS

AntonioMS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oops. In my rage, I never even cursed the specifics. It was the LG.

Now the guy in Richer Sounds sounded surprised. But believe you me, if we assume that perhaps it was faulty and hence why it had problems with some discs... that doesn't excuse it's shoddy build quality and poor processing of blues.

Ever researched something a tonne and it seems to get nothing but praise... you buy it... you encounter problems with it... and only then, once you know of certain problems, do you then find an abundance of complaints about the product online?

I found another forum with hundreds of negative comments regarding the LG and the reason why I don't think I had a faulty device is that there are a lot of other people who complained about the skipping and blue processing.

R2D2 looked like it was about to spontaneously combust.

6. mattressback

mattressback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    oh well theres a bullet dodged i was so close to going for the LG to mainly cos it got a top rating in whathomecinema magazine. Glad i didnt bother now!

7. mgoode180566

mgoode180566
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont trust magazine reviews so much now. Call me cynical but i firmly believe a
    good review depends on how many freebies the reviewer receives :(

8. AntonioMS

AntonioMS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank heavens for the internet and forums.

9. mattressback

mattressback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well i got my philips yesterday and im pretty happy with it especially for what it cost, got it connected via HDMI and it looks good, played divx files, even those with packed bitstreams, with no probs and no noticable jerkiness so im happy

also got my humax 9200t yesterday and thats smart to, bit more noisey than i expected and the prog guide takes along time to populate even when powering up from standby, just have to get used to that i guess