1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!! - DVD stopped playing but only on some DVDs!!??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ultimatenyle, Apr 5, 2003.

1. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my wharfdale DVD 750 has stopped playing some DVDs. :(

it will load up as normal until the menu screen, then when you try to select play film, features, setup etc. it will just reset and go back to the actual players startup logo.

I am only getting some DVDs to work (Insomnia, SpaceBalls,South Park movie, Crouching Tiger) and movies such as 8 Legged freaks or all Futurama Season 1 discs dont work. They worked before but not now. These are all Reg. 2

I got T2 UE Reg1 to work both in DD and DTS and also Romeo Must Die. These both totaly work fine.

I have tried different combinations of switching the player off then on, unplugged it, re-entered the multi region code but all to no avail.

The thing I dont understand is that some DVDs work, some dont, even brand new ones (8 legged freaks) wont work. All the DVDs are in as new or great cond.

The dvds worked before but not now - and nothing was changed, settings, plugs nothing.

anybody got any help/insight/advice as this has stumped me.

cheers
    Nyle:confused:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Sounds like general wear and tear. I expect the laser isn't quite as good as it used to be. You could try a lense cleaning disc. You could also open it up and give it a clean up with a compressed air can all round the mechanism.

If you've tried that and its failed and it looks destined for the bin you could try a very careful adjustment of the laser pot to give it more power which might cure it. Just a minute tweak would do it. I don't know what type of laser the wharfedale has but it might have a dual laser assembly so there may be two pots, one for cd and one for dvd. Best of luck.

3. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are the lens cleaning kits like those old cd ones with the wee fibre brushes that are meant to 'brush' the lens?

what kind of dvd cleaning kits are there and how do they work?

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did they ever work on futurama or eight legged freaks?

5. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have never used a cleaning kit or any other cleaning save for an occasionl 'dust'

tried some more dvds today and still the same, only certain ones dont work, and they are all different - animated menus, flippers, dual layers, DTS, languages, regions doesnt seem to make a difference some will play some just load up to the menu screen and the just reset the player when an option is chosen; the only constant thing is a when dvd wont play it has stayed unplayable and vice versa if the film played.

gonna borrow some dvds that i have that have stopped playing from a mate and see if they work
    will also try new batteris in the controller tomorrow as that seemed to work with the pace telewest cable box; but methinks clutching at straws

is there a way to find out what dvds are manufactured in what way or if circuit diagrams are available from somewhere?