HELP DVD-R editing, VS8 no sound, VS10 poor video quality ????

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jblackmore, Aug 4, 2006.

1. jblackmore

jblackmore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Sony DVD-R camcorder, assuming editing video would be as easy as on my Mini-DV one.

I have Videostudio8 which does perfect quality import and edit, but loses sound, as it doesn't support AC3.

A friend has Videostudio10, which imports video and sound from DVD-R, but when we edit a film and output to DVD it takes an hour to convert an 8 minute project (I would rather it did no conversion, but cannot find a way to stop this), and the resulting video quality is appalling, blurred movement and skipped frames.

Is there a way to edit DVD-R footage without losing sound, or mangling video using Videostudio 8 or 10 ??

Thanks.

James.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811

Not quite,:cool: The DVD camcorder format was designed more for the convenience of shooting and watching straight off on a DVD player and rather less for editing.

Look at your other thread:rotfl:

Seriously, copy off the vob files off the DVD, rename them as mpeg then try and use any program which accepts mpeg files even if it doesnt expressly state that it allows import from DVD

As an aside, by all means try and play on your PC the actual files in your PCs software player to have an idea of the PQ of your starting material

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,304
    I beg to differ, a year ago fair enough, today that is no longer the case. But yes you may need to use different tools to edit than you did with DV as it is a different format.

Unfortunately with Ulead VideoStudio I've had nothing but trouble, the smart render which is supposed to bypass the re-encoding is not working for me at all.

Womble is great, it just does what it say on the tin and incredibly quick....

4. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Can't help you with the VS8 audio. VS9 supports AC3, but does not detect 16:9 footage. VS10 does both.
    The reason your footage lost quality is that it was re-encoded because you probably did not have smart encoding enabled. In File -> Preferences make sure the "Show message when inserting clip to timeline" box is ticked. When you now insert a clip, it will ask you if you want to change project properties. Answer "Yes", and when saving, choose "Same as first clip".

HTH, Mike

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    J-P:) ,
    Actually, I agree with your POV in general as This post , a reply to the OP in another thread will show.:cool:

I do actually reedit on the PC, DVD footage from settop DVD recorder having discovered Womble courtesy of Mike ( Jomike). But tend to use Avid Liquid 7 for "proper" editing when i wish to do more than trim cut and paste.
    Im also currently using VS10 "testing "for usability having not warmed to ver 8 and 9 in the past and actually find myself liking it. Its "smart rendering" seems to work on the machine it is installed on.

As such my point was not a subtle anti -DVD camcorder stab as Im hoping to get hold of one later this year to see if it will fit into our kit list.

It was more to say that for someone coming from editing AVis off miniDV ( as the OP hinted). Mpeg editing might need a little reorientation for best results.

Before using Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6 ( which edits mpeg with ease) and Womble I had always thought mpeg editing was a "no go area" and a lot of my currently being comfortable with it now is from hints tips I have got from these forums .

As as been discussed in the past the manufacturers of the DVD camcorders have been lukewarm towards the fact of editing concentrating on the obvious convenience of instant use on DVD player

Even with Womble being as good as it is, its publishers dont seem to market it to users of DVD camcorders as a target market:thumbsup:

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,304
    Fully agree with your post, and also the one in the other thread....Womble is good but a little basic to my liking....I quite liked VS10 as well, but for some reason I can't get smart rendering to work properly like in Womble....I've always had something against Ulead, probably like yourself. I mean I don't think it is rerendering as it going to quick for that, but it seems to parse the whole file instead of knowing from the edit where to start rendering...So it is unnecessary slow compared to something like Womble....

I really wish Vegas was providing proper MPEG editing, and/or I wish Adobe wasn't so silly with their graphics card requirements for their latest installment which also provides smart rendering....

Are you saying that Liquid 7 is doing smart rendering as well? I might give that a go, just find the UI illogical compared to Vegas and Premiere....

I mean Womble serves most of my needs, but sometimes I like getting a little bit more creative.....

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    TBH Im not sure Liquid "Smart renders" however reading the forums, it will if the source and finish templates are the same: Therein lies the problem : getting this setting just right .

Also if the mpeg is used within Liquid ( to author a DVD) any differences in parameters will result in rerendereing ( albeit fast : no rendering : less then real time: rendering about 1.5-3x real time)

So even when it encodes it is fairly speedy . It does the rendering during the edit so time taken for that is not an issue. However you have to rename the vob files as mpeg.

I just did a test , importing an mpeg ( renamed vob) extracting a ten min sequence by setting new mark in mark out points ( while editing this post) it took about 17 min to export. Womble did the same in..1min 30 secs! ( it simply transported the trimmed clip as stream to file)

Mpeg users of ver 6.1 seem to prefer it to ver 7, but in general Avid is not too informative, only its user forums are and mpeg editors are not that many among them

I totally agree that its UI is a put off to the unwary and unfamiliar though Ver 6.6 and Avid Liquid 7 are rather more friendly.:

Saying that, as good as Vegas is, its UI can be also "culture" shock coming from say Pinnacle Studio or even Liquid ( which is itself "supposedly" logical )

I got thru Vegas unfamiliarity quickly by being demoed it extensively and also using the tutorials in Vegas Movie studio "show me how" ( whose UI is identical )

I have found that what you are already used to can make you find it hard to warm to other software
    I wouldnt advice you to actually buy Liquid unless can try somewhere first.
    or pm me if really curious : there is a trial version .
    But for speed, convenience and very low system resources use: Womble is it:thumbsup:

8. jblackmore

jblackmore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Handbags at dawn eh :)

Just to note this, I found some tutorials on the web, and discovered VS10 has fairly bizarre behaviour, but it can do what I wanted.

There is a fairly cryptic preference 'show message when first clip inserted' this MUST be ticked, and you MUST drag a DVD-R clip into the timeline before anything else, and you MUST accept 'change project settings to match this clip'.

You MUST only use mpeg2 video in your project, and you MUST output to video file (NOT DVD).

I did not have this option ticked, and dragged a 2 second avi video into the project first (a film style countdown intro), before the DVD-R clips, so VS10 then decided to render my entire 12 minute DVD-R project into avi format quality - hence it took hours, and resulting video was unwatchable !

If you follow these fairly bizarre rules, then VS10 works fine, and will only render the fades/effects, and majority of video will just run straight through, so it is done reasonably quickly AND without quality problems.

Quite why ULEAD choose to make their software so stupid is beyond me, surely it should recognise if 99% of the project is in one set of settings and clearly warn the user that proceeding will be slow and pointless, and offer the suggestion to change settings to match majority of project !!

Anyway, if anyone else is trying to use VS10, there are a few tutorials on the web to follow, but the basic rules above should get you started.

I looked at Womble, and found it far too cryptic, all I want is to drag/crop clips, and add fades/titles, and output to a DVD - Womble probably can do that if you spend long enough trying, but personally I found VS10 easier and more logical for simple projects - providing you follow the bizarre rules it requires to work properly.

Hope this helps someone else avoid struggling like I did.

James.

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,304
    Thanks for the advice gentlement...Even though I wasn't asking....In VS10 I did everything like that, except I didn't have that message popup...I'll try again....

Fully agree with you Senu that it is hard to warm to something else.....Once used to something....I love the speed of Womble, but the reason I am looking for something else is that I've got a highresolution laptop (1920x1200) and Womble doesn't really make cleverly use of that, so I am squinting....

10. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yes you were!!:rotfl:
    I guess stick to Womble for now..or expect some reencoding with the likes of Liquid..or Vegas
    Liquid is however far from slow and the horrows :eek: of spending 2 hrs encoding a 12 min segment do not happen with it.