Help!!! DVD Layer Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Midnight, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Midnight

Midnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!,

Forgive me I'm new to this DVD game.

I recently bought a Sony 335 DVD and immediately played Saving Private Ryan - during the movie the picture paused a second or so and then started. I queried this with Richer Sounds and they said it was a layer change on the disc. I have a rough idea of what a layer change is but I'm not entirely sure. Richer Sounds said that this was not isolated to this player and happened on all players. Am I being told Porkies ? or is this really the case until the compression algorithm on DVDs is optimised ?

Should I take my DVD player back ?

Many Thanks in advance

me

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Relax - Richer Sounds are not giving you any BS.

The pause is triggered when the player's laser has to re-focus in order to be able to read the second layer of a dual-layered disc.

Some players handle the transition better than others and some discs have their layer change in better places than others (the best place is obviously between scenes after a 'fade-to-black' scene etc.

Some films even advise you on the packaging that the 'layer transition may trigger a slight pause'!

Welcome to DVD. [​IMG]

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, layer change is a "problem" on most players - but mainly because the studios mastering the DVD put the layer change in the middle of a scene and not between two scenes.
    So both sides are too blame.
    But if it's really any isse you may wanna try the new Denon (1000 I think) which comes with a 4MB memory to overcome this - supposingly.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.