help DVD editing newbie

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by stormjai, Apr 16, 2004.

1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got computer with DVD recording facility. Need advice on v. easy editing software for family home video, currently on loads of mini DV tapes!!
    Have 8*dvd +/- R/W (Pio 107 I think) drive.
    Any sugestions for reliable media for this drive?

Generally, is it better to record to +R or -R for compatibility on normal players, or are they much the same?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    On the compatability of media, theres not that much in it but -R disks have the slight edge.

As for editing software. Well if you've got Windows XP then you will also have the MS Movie Maker software for capturing & editing. Get onto the MS web site and get the free upgrade to MM2 and you will have everything you need to get started.
    If you don't have XP or you want something more advanced then Pinacle Studio 9 is highly recommended. You can get a fee trial download of it from their web site.

What software did you get installed on your new PC for the authoring of DVD's? If only very basic or none supplied then I would recommend Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3. This is very easy to use and only costs around £25 online. You can get a free 30 day trial of it from www.ulead.co.uk

Oh and if your drive is the Pioneer 107 then it is a very good writer :thumbsup: . I've got the slightly older 106 and have had no problems with it.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    These are the disks that I have been useing and have had no 'coasters' yet.

{DV 371/25} Ritek A Grade 1x to 4x Inkjet Printable DVD-R in pack of 25 - £22.58 plus p&p

I got them from www.blankdiskshop.co.uk but there site is not showing the full range at the moment as it is being reorganised. They say it should have been back up by the end of March, so I hope it wont be too much longer.

Mark.

4. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the advice, Mark

The computer has cyberlink Power producer and Power Director software. Dont know how these compare to Pinnacle/ Ulead.

Does one software do all editing or get editor then author?

thanks

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    I've just done a quick search for details on your software and this is what I have found:

Power Director looks like the capture & editing program similar to Studio.
    Power Producer is the equivelent of DVD MF3 for creating the DVD/VCD etc. It can also do editing, but I don't think you can capture from a DV camcorder with this.

I don't know any of the Cyberlink software so can not comment on how good it is, but try it as you have already got it and see what you can or can't do before spending more cash.

Mark.