1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dvd disc editing and extraction

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by reevesy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    hi all,
    in my dvd collection i've got all the 'jools holland show' discs and was thinking about how great it would be to stick some of my favs onto one disc.
    i've got dvd decrypter,shrink,nero etc and have been having a go using ulead dvd movie factory 2 to extract preformaces from the show.
    thing is the user interface seems prone to stalling and is slow to react and i've been unable to move the slider about freely to set start and stop breaks making the whole process and tadge annoying.
    does anyone know a better way of doing this or better software or am i just being impatient :confused:
    any help would be most appreciated.
    ps:as always funds are tight!

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've done something similar with all my Hollywood Musical DVDs (extracting the song clips onto a series of DVDS)

My workflow is as follows........

DVD Shrink to extract the clips I want.
    (NOT the whole film, just the clips using rough in and out points)
    Also, I untick any unwanted laguages which helps reduce the file size.

Next I import the clips into a great piece of software called MPEG VIDEO WIZARD available HERE
    This is where I fine tune the in/out points of each clip and also join several clips together. I have yet to find a better program at cutting up and merging mpeg clips than this one.
    You can also add and merge jpegs at the start of each clip if you like with a title.pic of the upcoming band.

The clips are then exported to a new mpeg file.

Next I import these clips into my DVD Authoring program (ULead DVD Workshop 2.0), Movie Factory should be fine.

At the authoring stage it's just a case of adding menus and chapters as all the 'donkey' work is done at stage 2 with Mpeg Video Wizard.

I also burn with DVDWS2.

DVDWS2 is also poor at navigating and trimming clips so I avoid it.

It's also worth noting that the original clips are left intact and NO re-encoding is done on the video or audio, so if it's in 5.1 then that's what you get on your copy.

Good luck.

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    nice one,
    sorry been off line for a bit