1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! DV79 v. FMJ 27 (same price)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by brenzo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. brenzo

brenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of upgrading my DVD player. My Sony LCD does not have HDMI. I can purchse either the FMJ 27 or the DV 79 for the exact price...$1799. My main objective is to buy the DVD player with the best picture quallity. My second objective is superior 2 channel audio. Please help. I assume the FMJ is priced to make room for a new model? Should I wait? I appreciate everyone's opinion.

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    There is a new FMJ model already ... the DV29 - with hdmi and all the benefits of the fmj chassis, chipsets, dvd-audio, etc ...

Jon

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you don't need HDMI then I would go for the DV27A for its superior 2 channel sound. As for component picture quality, there are very few that can equal the DV27. IMHO

HTH
    John

4. brenzo

brenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered the 29 but its selling for twice the price of the 27. Are you all suggesting the 27A between instead of the 27?

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have not seen the FMJ DV29. However, the FMJ DV27A uses the Silicon Image SiI504 deinterlacer, while the DV29 uses the Zoran vaddis 5 for deinterlacing. Although Arcam says the video DACs are better in the DV29, the SiI504 of the DV27A is arguably the best deinterlacer out there (although some would argue for the Faroudja found in other players).

You should try to demo both, but offhand, if you don't have HDMI the DV27A might provide better video performance.

Keep in mind, I'm just making educated guesses here. But I did compare my DV88 Plus with a SiI504 upgrade on component against the DV79 on HDMI, and the DV79 was neither clearly better nor worse.

I think this is really a case where you have to view both and see for yourself.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    With the 27a at £950, it will be my no.1 choice for some time to come.

I personally would wait a generation or two to see how HDMI progresses. No doubt it will come on in leaps and bounds and be unbeatable. For now though, my vote stays with analogue prog scan, especially at that price.

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brenzo,
    Wise words from Dean and Guy, for me with no need for HDMI then the DV27A is as good as it gets and I'm not convinced that HDMI on current DVD's is that greater leap over well implemented component. That may change with Blu-ray and HD DVD but then that would mean buying a new player that could decode those formats......................imho!

Regards
    John

8. brenzo

brenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to everyone who responded. It appears the 27A is the right choice. Any thoughts as to connecting the 27A using DVI? Is that the best connection for video? Thanks.

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want a DVI connection to your TV you'll have to use the DV79 or FMJ DV29 with an HDMI to DVI adapater. The DV27A supports composite, S-Video, and progressive/interlaced component video only. It has no digital video output.

Dean