1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. DV27 to Plasma.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cheeseburger, Jan 2, 2004.

1. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help needed.

I previously had my DV27 connected to a Sony FD1 32" TV via a scart lead and had an excellent picture.

I have just purchased a Panasonic TH37-PW5 panel and have connected the DV27 through the tuner box supplied via a scart lead and was horrified to find the picture quality is inferior to previous set up.

Have I just wasted 2.5G or is there a simple way to get over this problem. I would like to utilise the progressive scan capability of the 27.

To top it all, the Sky picture is atrocious.

Help. Help. Help.

2. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi.

Not familiar with the Panasonic Tuner Box inparticaular but you should be getting a good picture even with the scart connection.

However, for the best result i'd suggest you invest in a set of component leads, then set up your DV27 to output the progressive signal.

My understanding of the tuner boxes with these things is that it isnt the optimal way of doing things... best to connect direct to the screen if its possible.

If its any consolation i use a DV27 with component to a panasonic display, and the result is awesom. Unless panny have done something horrific to the 37" you should get a similar result.

Definatly get the tuner box out of the equation if you can, and use a set of high quality component cables though...

Unfortunatly, Plasma's are less forgiving than CRT so you do need to give the best and most direct signal path possible IMHO.

Hope this helps.
    Kev

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Arcam DVD Player Unofficial FAQ
    www.envytech.co.uk/arcamdvd/
    Will tell you how to turn on progressive scan with DV27, particularly PAL progressive which is what you need for Region 2 DVDs. If it's an older FMJ DV27 player (not DV27+ or DV27-A) you may need to update the software; this page tells you how, and even has it for download.

Progressive scan via component video to tuner box on plasma will improve the picture significantly.

However, in the long term you may find that the low resolution of your chosen plasma impacts image quality and will not match your old CRT. The discontinued Panasonic TH37PW5 plasma has 852 pixels wide by 480 pixels high; PAL (which is the television system used in UK) has 576 rows high. Therefore any PAL image (either Sky or Region2 DVD) will lose approximately 17% of it's quality on a display with this resolution. You may find that Region 1 (or NTSC) DVDs are better as they only have 480 rows high.

You could pose a question in the plasma forum for some more specific advice.

StooMonster

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    AFAIR you need to use the component outputs to have progressive output - the DV27 doesn't do progressive out of the scart socket ...

and of course make sure it is enabled in the menu - maybe 'hidden' if an old version of the software ...

Jon

5. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the advice.