Answered Help! Dune Solo/Dune Smart HDs can't access network folders

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using Dune products for several years now, and I have three setups in my house with Dunes, all using Yadis to play movies from my unraid server.

Everything was working fine until I got back from holiday over the weekend. All of a sudden none of the Dunes can access ANY folders on the unraid server.

I get the same error every time I try to open the folders I've already setup, which is something like "Cannot open folder".

When going through Network Browser on the Dune, I can see all of my folders, but whenever I try to open one of them, I get the following error (picture in post #2)

Network resource is not accessible.

You might not have access permission

There's then a user name (guest) and password (blank) box...changing the values or clicking retry just gives me the same error every single time.

This is what I've done:

Dune:

Updated firmware
Cleared flash memory
Factory reset
Checked network settings (players show as connected - all looks good)

UNRAID server:

Checked unraid permissions: guest is set up with PUBLIC access, and no password set.
SMB service is running (tried switching it off then back on again)
Updated unraid O/S to latest version.
Restarted server.

Despite the above, none of my Dunes can access the shares, neither can I open shared folders on my main windows PC.

All shares are visible and accessible from my PC and laptop (both running windows 10), just not from the Dunes.

I've also activated NFS on the server, and I can't connect via this method either (same error).

The only thing that's changed in my setup is that the day we went on holiday I switched the unraid server off, and the router was off briefly also (I've also tried rebooting the router with no success).

I'm completely stumped and utterly frustrated, as I cannot see why this isn't working. Everything looks good within unraid, and the settings look fine in the Dune...but NONE of my players work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt

Could you try adding a user account with a password, and then using that from the Dune?

If that works, then there might have been an update that denied guest access.

Sorry meant to add, I've tried that already. I set up a user on the unraid called "dune", added a password and had the same error.

IMG_0125.jpg

This is the error...

Have you tried breaking and re-sharing a folder?

Have you tried creating a brand new share to see if that can be accessed?

I'm not familiar with UNRAID server, are there any logs that might show error messages?

I've not created any new folders, but I did try changing the main Movie Jukebox share from PUBLIC to SECURE and then back again.

I'm not sure the problem lies with the server, as I can see and access the shares perfectly from my Windows PC. Also, I can't access any shared folders on my PC either (so from 2 sources).

Sorry, misread your original post, I thought you said you couldn't access shares from your Windows PC. It does seem like a Dune related issue then. Do you have any other non Windows devices you could try and access the shares from, like a smart TV, table or phone?

Seems odd to be a Dune issue if none of them can access the folders. That kind of problem would point to what they are trying to access, in this case the server.

My Dune HD 3D base stopped accessing my SMB shares after I upgraded to windows 10 which I read was something to do with W10.The Dune would see the SMB shares but once opened would always display empty..Ended up using Hanewin NFS Server and never had any issues from then.
I would also try adding a new share maybe with a single movie in it and see if it acesses it.

Problem solved! I deleted the guest acccount on my unraid server and everything works fine again! [emoji2] Thanks for the suggestions

Dune HD Support - Misc
dune_service_reset_settings.dsf - a service file allowing to reset all settings of Dune player to their factory defaults (including setup options, network folders configuration, saved bookmarks). Suitable for all Dune player models. Instruction: launch the service file in Dune's file browser -- the player will reset all settings; after that, it is recommended to perform full power off or reboot of the player. NOTE (for Blu-ray models): This service file does not modify the content of System Storage (if any), in particular, it does not clear Blu-ray Local Storage and IPTV/Internet Radio configuration. See here for services for clearing System Storage.

Mark.

Or if the Dune wont boot up:
The following emergency settings reset procedure can be used to reset all STB settings to default values when the STB does not boot, or when STB native menu can not be reached, or when non-GUI way for settings reset is needed for some other reason: - Create an empty "dune_boot_reset_settings.flag" file in the root of a USB flash drive. - Attach USB flash drive to the STB. - Power on the STB. - The STB will detect "dune_boot_reset_settings.flag" file on the USB flash drive and will automatically perform settings reset. - After that, the STB will continue normal boot automatically. - After the STB is booted ok, disconnect the USB flash drive from the STB.

Mark.

Dune HD Support - Misc

Mark.
Yes, I did come across this Mark, but couldn't see how you could actually copy the DSF file onto a memory stick. When you select the link it just takes you to the data file, but with no way of downloading it (as far as I can see).

However, I have now used the full reset from the system menu. It did not solve my problem of stuttering playback on SMB files.

Thanks for your help Mark.

I had a Dune H1 years ago and remember struggling to configure access to folders on my Synology NAS.

Now after a couple of years away, I've got an H1 again...and cannot access the folders.

It's the same issue as Matt has posted above but the solutions do not work for me.

I go to Sources > Network Browser > Workgroup > Diskstation

Then it asks me to enter a user name and password (which I have previously set up on the Synology NAS)

But all I get is "Network resource is not accessible. You might not have access permission"

Can anyone please advise?

Have you set all the permissions for the Folders on the NAS ?

Agree with DodgeTheViper it does sound like an issue with permissions on the NAS. Check those and also the bottom paragraph of the Dune setup guide for shared folders
Accessing Network Drives From Player
NOTE: If some network resources are not shown by the player, you may need to wait some minutes and then retry (or press the "MENU" RC button and choose "Refresh" command).

Mark.

Thanks. I've tried everything I can on the Synology. I've set up a new user with permission to access absolutely everything, and I still get the same message.

However, I have noticed that whatever password I create for the user in my Synology, it always defaults to an 8 letter password (although it's just displayed as ********). So...possibly I am entering the wrong password?

That said, even when I log in as admin with the password I use to log into my NAS, it still doesn't work.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it's anything to do with entering a password.

I'm sure you've checked, but. Are the Folders shared ? The Dune has the correct address for the Synology ?

Thanks. When Trying to access the NAS on the Dune, it asks for a username and password.
There's no other way of accessing the NAS is there? (Is there any way to manually enter the IP address etc as on Kodi?)

I have ensured that all the folders are shared on the NAS. (Kodi on my Pi can access them, for example.)

Edit: I notice in the online manual linked to above it says

"To manually configure a new network folder (i.e. to connect a network drive to the player):
  1. Enter the Main screen (root folder of the file browser).
  2. Execute the "New Network Folder" action in the context menu."
I cannot figure out how to do this - I cannot see "new network folder" on the home screen. Can anyone shed any light?

Can you take a shot of the screen you’re seeing ?

To create a new Network Folder.

Name it
Select SMB or NFS
Server (the name of your NAS)
Folder (exactly as named on the NAS)
User & Password (same ones to access the NAS)

Last edited:
Haha! I've found a new way of doing it by pressing the "Pop up menu" button on the remote (why doesn't it just say that in the instructions?)

So this is what I've done:
Name: [just entered NAS]
Type: NFS
Server: entered the ip address of my NAS
Folder: /diskstation/video
Protocol: TCP

...but that doesn't work. I get "cannot access network folder". Have I got the "diskstation/video" bit wrong? How do I know what to enter in there?

Have you tried:
Server: \\NAS name
Folder: \diskstation\video
or
Server: \\diskstation
Folder: \video

Also try with the \\ & \ changed to // & /

Mark.

Can anyone please help?

I don't necessarily want to be able to stream from my NAS to my Dune (my network is too slow so I am playing from an internal hard disk) but I do want to be able to copy files to and from my NAS over the network.

I've also tried doing the ftp thing with filezilla but got completely lost with that too...!

Thanks, Mark.
I wrote every possible combination down on a list and tried them all. My thumbs are red from pressing buttons. Still no joy.
I think I will give up and just do things the old fashioned way, pulling the disk from the player and plonking it in a docking station when I want to copy files!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom