* Go to NFS Permissions and select create using the following
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Squash = Map all users to Admin
Security = sys
Enable asynchronous = yes
Allow connections from non-privileged ports = yes
Allow users to access mounted sub folders = yes

NFS address of folder would be IP of the NAS like example below (is also case sensitive), no user/pass should be necessary. All Synology folders are volume1 based unless you have more than one volume on your NAS.
nfs://192.168.1.20/volume1/media

Try this;
Name: [just entered NAS]
Type: NFS
Server: entered the ip address of my NAS
Folder: /volume1/video
Protocol: TCP

If that don't work then I dont know what else you can do must be Dune NFS specific.

Last edited:

Keiron

On the Synology
* NFS should be enabled via File Services
* On Shared Folders, select a folder and click on Edit
* Go to NFS Permissions and select create using the following
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Squash = Map all users to Admin
Security = sys
Enable asynchronous = yes
Allow connections from non-privileged ports = yes
Allow users to access mounted sub folders = yes

NFS address of folder would be IP of the NAS like example below (is also case sensitive), no user/pass should be necessary. All Synology folders are volume1 based unless you have more than one volume on your NAS.
nfs://192.168.1.20/volume1/media

Try this;
Name: [just entered NAS]
Server: entered the ip address of my NAS
Folder: /volume1/video

If that don't work then I dont know what else you can do must be Dune NFS specific.
I got this to work after a fashion! Brilliant! Many thanks

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Dune’s have always been completely useless at navigating to a shared folder directly from the dune itself (it’s about time they sorted this) you always have to enter the actual folder path route to navigate to the folders. :thumbsdow

scottvf

I fixed this problem by setting shared folder permissions to everyone and security to everyone then change dune username from guest to everyone.

bobducs

Novice Member
I am resolved enable SMB in my Windows 10

Step 1. Open Control Panel in your PC/Notebook.

Step 2. Click on Programs.

Step 3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.

Step 4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.

Step 5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.

Step 6. Click the OK button.

Step 7. Click the Restart now button.

scottvf

I am resolved enable SMB in my Windows 10

Step 1. Open Control Panel in your PC/Notebook.

Step 2. Click on Programs.

Step 3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.

Step 4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.

Step 5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.

Step 6. Click the OK button.

Step 7. Click the Restart now button.
Doing only this did not resolve it. I had to also do this ->
change folder permissions to everyone and security to everyone then change dune username from guest to everyone.

LordHelmet

Novice Member
Got it working finally with windows 10,

SMB protocol 1.0 (I did checked both host and client checkboxes) support was required, setup example is above.

And additionally I had to put IP address to host field instead of computer name and it connected instantly.
So dune could´n find the share with computer name (DNS ?) even it did show up in browsing mode!

Put valid user with share rights or disable password protected sharing in windows and put blank user
and password, both worked.

I would recommend fixed ip for a share computer so the share connection will not disconnect.

Add the share location by navigating to "sources" and with "pop up" button select "new network folder". Then type ip address as server and use the share name for shared folder.

HenryPorter

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have recently purchased a Synology DS920plus NAS and have spent the last 6 weeks setting up shares, permissions, users and privileges, etc.

I have been running a Dune HD Max with a 3Tb HDD for many years and I want to now upgrade to a Dune HD pro 4k so I thought that initially I would set up my old Dune to play from my NAS so that I can get the hang of using shares on my NAS before I buy my new media player.

I am experiencing all of the issues identified by Smurfin in the opening post, and then later Keiron. I see the exact same images as shown in the earlier screen shots.

I have tried everything suggested on this thread with no success.

If any one who contributed to this earlier discussion is still around to deliver some patient advice then I would very much appreciate your help. If those with the issues managed to resolve the connection problem then I would like to know how you did it.

It's entirely possible that I have incorrectly configured something on the NAS as I am new to this.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
If any one who contributed to this earlier discussion is still around to deliver some patient advice then I would very much appreciate your help. If those with the issues managed to resolve the connection problem then I would like to know how you did it.

It's entirely possible that I have incorrectly configured something on the NAS as I am new to this.

Are you using SMB or NFS shares ?

NFS shares require the server have a fixed IP address as a dynamic IP will eventually cause the IP to jump to something else, this will in turn break the IP NFS share the Dune is looking for.

On the Synology
option 1 - login to your router and see if it has a bind IP to MAC address option, basically this device will always have this IP even with a DHCP IP server active.

option 2 - make a note of the range of your routers DHCP server or change it for example;
192.168.1.10 up to 192.168.1.256

That leaves the IP range of 2-10 available for static IP's so go into the Synology network settings and set the IP to a fixed setting of for example 192.168.1.4

Now copy the settings from pictures attached
1 turn on nfs
2 go to shared folder and select edit
3 go to NFS permissions
4 copy settings in picture

Now go to the Dune
Name: your NAS
Server: your NAS IP (e.g. 192.168.1.4)
Folder: /volume1/video (the /video is the name of the folder you set the NFS permissions on)

See if that works.

Attachments

• Synology1.PNG
    Synology1.PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Synology2.PNG
    Synology2.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Synology3.PNG
    Synology3.PNG
    65 KB · Views: 36
  • Synology4.PNG
    Synology4.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 37

HenryPorter

Are you using SMB or NFS shares ?

NFS shares require the server have a fixed IP address as a dynamic IP will eventually cause the IP to jump to something else, this will in turn break the IP NFS share the Dune is looking for.

On the Synology
option 1 - login to your router and see if it has a bind IP to MAC address option, basically this device will always have this IP even with a DHCP IP server active.

option 2 - make a note of the range of your routers DHCP server or change it for example;
192.168.1.10 up to 192.168.1.256

That leaves the IP range of 2-10 available for static IP's so go into the Synology network settings and set the IP to a fixed setting of for example 192.168.1.4

Now copy the settings from pictures attached
1 turn on nfs
2 go to shared folder and select edit
3 go to NFS permissions
4 copy settings in picture

Now go to the Dune
Name: your NAS
Server: your NAS IP (e.g. 192.168.1.4)
Folder: /volume1/video (the /video is the name of the folder you set the NFS permissions on)

See if that works.

Many thanks next010. Your assistance is very much appreciated. I continued working on this after I posted my plea for help on Friday and I just about reached the point where I got it (partly) working though not in a wholly satisfactory way.

- My NAS is already on a reserved ip (192.168.1.8) in my router so that wasn't an issue

In The Synology
- I had 'no mapping' under squash, and I had not enabled 'allow connections for non-privileged ports', but I have now amended these settings to your recommendations
- I had seen advice in another youtube video that suggested that you should enable SSH in Terminal & SNMP in Control Panel, but I have since disabled this setting as I do not understand what it does and it seems to make no difference.

My issues now seem to be with the Dune.
- under Sources, Network Browser, Network Places, Workgroup I can see DS920plus on my network but I can't connect as I get 'Network Resource Is Not Accessible - You might not have access permission'. guest doesn't work.
- however, under Sources I had created a new network folder (called NAS), as per your instructions and I can access my shares on the NAS from this. These are all in folder view.
- I also created another folder using smb (called smbnas) but this does not work. I get 'Cannot access network folder'. This does not matter as I will be deleting this anyway if the NFS route works for me.

Back on my Windows 10 PC the existing Dune storage which I have mapped to drive:W keeps going offline. I get a red cross through the drive description in the 'My PC' tab. I still see the Dune HDD storage in the Windows Network tab, so it's not a problem. This again will not be an issue as I will be removing the 3Tb HDD from my Dune once I get NAS access fully operational.

So thanks again. I seem to have the ability to access my NAS using NFS. My remaining problems revolve around getting zappiti to access the NAS as I prefer a movie wall to the folder view that the NFS link is currently restricting me to.

I currently have zappiti under favourites and this works perfectly while accessing the internal Dune Storage shares. I have renamed this zappitidune.

I placed the zappiti folder from my NAS under favourites alongside the zappitidune shortcut. However this does not work as it is attempting to link to my NAS using smb.

Therefore I am currently restricted to accessing my NAS without a movie wall via the network folder under Sources.

My ultimate aim is to have 3 Dunes all accessing the NAS and using zappiti. The Dune HD Max I am currently messing about with is still a reliable player for all but 4k stuff. I will be removing the hard drive from it to use as backup to my NAS movies.

If anyone can advise on getting my new zappiti link to use NFS I would be grateful.

next010

Distinguished Member
under Sources, Network Browser, Network Places, Workgroup I can see DS920plus on my network but I can't connect as I get 'Network Resource Is Not Accessible - You might not have access permission'. guest doesn't work.

This is Windows SMB, the Synology NAS runs samba an open source copy of SMB but it can be quite temperamental in getting them to see each other at times.

Go to File Services->SMB->Advanced Settings and tick the box for "local master browser", then reboot your PC, this gives the NAS more of a say in SMB network management. Minimum SMB protocol should be SMB2 in same area.

Under the File Services->Advanced tab make sure that WS-Discovery is also enabled.

If you have not done so create a user account specific to you that is a member of the admin privileges group (do not use default admin account).

Go to shared folder->edit->permissions and make sure your user account has read/write privileges on the folders you want to share.

Now try accessing the NAS via Windows explorer, if it works input your new synology user/pass.

If it doesn't work run the windows Synology assistant and click on its map drive function, this will force a map shared folder to windows bypassing the windows explorer.

Windows sadly does not support NFS (at least its super complex to setup).

however, under Sources I had created a new network folder (called NAS), as per your instructions and I can access my shares on the NAS from this. These are all in folder view.

This is the NFS connection, good to hear it works at least.

I also created another folder using smb (called smbnas) but this does not work. I get 'Cannot access network folder'. This does not matter as I will be deleting this anyway if the NFS route works for me.

The Dune probably uses SMB v1.0 this has been discontinued by Windows because it is a huge security risk. This is why the NAS defaults to SMB v2.0 being the minimum version.

I placed the zappiti folder from my NAS under favourites alongside the zappitidune shortcut. However this does not work as it is attempting to link to my NAS using smb.

Therefore I am currently restricted to accessing my NAS without a movie wall via the network folder under Sources.

Unfortunately I have no experience at all with Zappiti, someone else will have to help or try contacting their support.

You could turn back on SMB 1.0 support on the NAS in the minimum supported protocol section and see if it works but that's your call.

HenryPorter

This is Windows SMB, the Synology NAS runs samba an open source copy of SMB but it can be quite temperamental in getting them to see each other at times.

Go to File Services->SMB->Advanced Settings and tick the box for "local master browser", then reboot your PC, this gives the NAS more of a say in SMB network management. Minimum SMB protocol should be SMB2 in same area.

Under the File Services->Advanced tab make sure that WS-Discovery is also enabled.

If you have not done so create a user account specific to you that is a member of the admin privileges group (do not use default admin account).

Go to shared folder->edit->permissions and make sure your user account has read/write privileges on the folders you want to share.

Now try accessing the NAS via Windows explorer, if it works input your new synology user/pass.

If it doesn't work run the windows Synology assistant and click on its map drive function, this will force a map shared folder to windows bypassing the windows explorer.

Windows sadly does not support NFS (at least its super complex to setup).

This is the NFS connection, good to hear it works at least.

The Dune probably uses SMB v1.0 this has been discontinued by Windows because it is a huge security risk. This is why the NAS defaults to SMB v2.0 being the minimum version.

Unfortunately I have no experience at all with Zappiti, someone else will have to help or try contacting their support.

You could turn back on SMB 1.0 support on the NAS in the minimum supported protocol section and see if it works but that's your call.

Many thanks for your continued advice, however after making the adjustments you suggested I am now unable to access the Dune from my Windows PC. It doesn't even appear in the Network. This wouldn't be a problem in the long run if I were to remove the HDD from the Dune Media player but until I get the Dune to access the NAS (other than by its file structure) I need to see the files on my Dune HDD from my PC.

You wrote : "Now try accessing the NAS via Windows explorer, if it works input your new synology user/pass.

If it doesn't work run the windows Synology assistant and click on its map drive function, this will force a map shared folder to windows bypassing the windows explorer."

I am afraid that I don't understand this. I could always access the NAS via Windows Explorer. I already have my video folder on the NAS mapped to the :V drive. That has not been an issue. It is the Dune that has disappeared.

Separately I found a way to reconfigure the paths on my Dune HD Max from smb to nfs, but unfortunately this has not worked either.

I am getting out of my depth now. I will continue digging but for the time being I will revert to using my HDD in the media player and find other uses for the NAS.

Many thanks for your previous advice.

Tomorrow I will reverse the changes you suggested in you last post and see if my Dune reappears in my network.

next010

Distinguished Member
I am getting out of my depth now. I will continue digging but for the time being I will revert to using my HDD in the media player and find other uses for the NAS.

Many thanks for your previous advice.

Tomorrow I will reverse the changes you suggested in you last post and see if my Dune reappears in my network.

Apologies I misinterpreted your first part you were talking about the Dune accessing the SMB shares not Windows, that's what my suggestions were about.

This should hopefully correct things.

Login to the NAS via Synology assistant connect then
* Go to File Services->SMB->Advanced Settings and disable "local master browser"

Now reboot then NAS then reboot your PC and power cycle the Dune, that should put you back to were you were.

HenryPorter

Apologies I misinterpreted your first part you were talking about the Dune accessing the SMB shares not Windows, that's what my suggestions were about.

This should hopefully correct things.

Login to the NAS via Synology assistant connect then
* Go to File Services->SMB->Advanced Settings and disable "local master browser"

Now reboot then NAS then reboot your PC and power cycle the Dune, that should put you back to were you were.

I just disabled 'local master browser' and rebooted everything. In a bit of a pickle now because, although Dune has reappeared within my network I get 'Windows cannot access \\Dune', and
'storage_22300(\\Dune) (W :' has a red x on it. W:\ is not accessible.

This was going to be my fallback position, i.e. still using the Dune by accessing and updating files on its local HDD from my PC while I further investigated eventually using the NAS for my movie files.

I have spent many hours last night reading old, and long, posts about the Dune and zappiti. Lots of people down the years have struggled with initial setup. You have moved me forward in the sense that we have enabled NFS. However, all of the old posts I read were from people who configured their Dune using smb paths.

I now concede that the problems I am currently experiencing are overwhelmingly 'client-based'. I need to resolve how to use the Dune to access my movies on the NAS.

I will keep experimenting with versions of the nfs 'absolute path' back to my NAS. It is entirely possible that I have got the syntax wrong somewhere.

I will also keep the option open to access my NAS using smb, but as this is still not working I think it could be related to permissions or passwords on the user within the NAS. The smb link always has 'guest' in the user field but still won't work when I enter a password for guest. It will not let me remove 'guest' as user is a required field. I have tried other users with passwords but none work.

What would happen if deleted guest as a user on my NAS?

next010

Distinguished Member
The Dune probably uses SMB (samba) for its network file server, the version running on the Dune HD Max may have compatibility problems. Even on up to date Synology NAS I get problems with some PC's.

As I mentioned Windows no longer supports SMB 1.0 for (justified) security reasons.

So a Dune has to run SMB 2.0 compatible version of samba in order for file shares to work with Windows 10, I'm unsure on the version the Dune HD Max uses but last official firmware update was 2017 I think with an unofficial beta 2019 release (is the firmware on your Dune up to date ?).

It's possible to re-enable SMB 1.0 on Windows but it is strongly advised against as there are viruses that target it.

So keeping in mind all of the above two questions
1 - Do you have SMB 1.0 enabled on the Synology NAS ?
2- Was the Windows 10 Dune SMB share ever working or did it just stop working recently ?

Also it looks like the Dune has an internal FTP server, this could work as a substitute for Win10 to Dune, install Filezilla, point it at the IP of the Dune (you might have to enable FTP on Dune, its manual doesn't say much). You can transfer files that way to the internal drive of the Dune.

As to the Dune reading the NAS via SMB that I'm a bit confused on what your trying to do but your existing SMB paths added to the Dune are not working and seem to be using guest account ?

If that corrects then lets try and make the guest account work with it, in Synology
* Go to Control Panel->Shared Folder->select folder then edit
* Now go to permissions and for the guest user account select read only or read/write.

Now try accessing the NAS SMB shares on the Dune, if it works then the permissions have been properly set.

If it didn't work you might have to remove the SMB shares on the Dune and re-add them using username and password account made on the Synology that had rights to those folders.

Basically that Dune and its software was designed several+ years ago around SMB 1.0 network shares, everything has moved on since that.

Last edited:

HenryPorter

next010 - thanks again, beyond the call of duty.

with respect to your suggestions here:-

- The Dune HD Max is an old obsolete model but it is reliable from its internal hdd and it is only because I want to store centrally on a NAS, plus migrate more of my 4k material onto my movie database, that I am going to upgrade. I prefer having a movie wall as it is more acceptable to the rest of the family hence I elected to use zappiti years ago. I have invested a lot of effort into creating backdrops and thumbnails over the years. Zappiti also allows me to provide customised covers and descriptions for my home movies. I have been video editing and creating DVDs and blu-rays for many years so the Dune/Zappiti combo gives my family a virtual DVD jukebox. However the internal 3TB hdd is now practically full.

- I know lots of people use plex or video station but I would have to re-rip most of my DVDs to create a compatible file for these apps.

- I use audio station and photo station, but for movies I am going to use a media player from either Dune or Zidoo, or Zappiti. So that's my rationale.

- The Dune firmware is up-to-date. I even regularly check though I know there will not be another for this model.

- I have no intention of enabling smb 1.0 on either Windows or my NAS. One of the first things I did when I got the NAS was to check that smb was set to 2.0 and 3.0.

- The Windows 10 smb share to the Dune was working right up until we made our changes this weekend.

- I always used filezilla to populate the hdd in the Dune, but since I got the NAS I have been using copy and paste from either my PC or the NAS to the Dune with great success. The Dune is connected via devolo powerline 1200 plugs (ethernet).

... and now for where I am currently at after spending the morning experimenting and back and forth between my PC in the study and the Dune in the lounge.

- I have created 2 shortcuts on the Dune to launch zappiti. One is the original which points to movies on the internal hdd. This still works. I have renamed it zappitidune. I created a second zappiti shortcut which is now the live one and reflects any changes I make to the configuration.

- I have configured new nfs shares paths in the Zappiti setup on my PC. One for movies and one for home movies. They point to my NAS shares. I removed the existing paths which linked to the Dune HDD. By trial and error, and re-exporting to the Dune after every change, I have got the Home Movies one to work. I proved it worked by adding an extra movie to my share on the NAS and then re-exporting my database. On my TV I can view the movie I added. So NFS can work from the Dune to access my NAS using zappiti!!!

- I realised that I had to put \volume1 in the path to get it to work. I think I am on the last lap now if I change the movies path.

- guest was already set to read/write in permissions on the video share so I am not sure why there is an issue on the Dune unless, as you say it's smb is out of date.

- I still cannot access the Dune from Windows, which is a shame for fallback purposes but if I get the NAS up and running it won't be a problem.

You have spent time advising me so I provided a long answer. If I get there it might help someone else who is having similar issues.

Thanks again

Attachments

• zappitiscreen.png
    zappitiscreen.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah that is unusual, if the SMB shares were working on Windows 10 then the Dune has SMB 2.0 support at least so it should be working with the PC and NAS.

Try powering down NAS, PC, Dune and then router, now power on router first, then Dune then NAS and lastly PC, see if that does anything.

SMB has this crazy election system were one device gets to organize connections, the master browser setting I suggested made the NAS mayor of SMB town but clearly the others did not like it.

You also might want to try alternative methods to map the Dune SMB share to windows like this or this.

As for the Dune to NAS SMB connection the only thing I can suggest is remove the existing SMB share you added on the Dune and re-add it as new one with a user/pass implemented in the settings for adding the share on the Dune.

FYI if ever moving away from Dune/zappiti the OSMC Vero 4K runs a modded version of Kodi called OSMC, it handles most things you can throw at it up to 4K HDR, supports NFS shares too.

Kodi has a built in media library that can scan/read VIDEO_TS and BDMV folders, no need to re-rip everything, its pretty automatic and you can opt to save the metadata directly into the folders instead so any Kodi install can read that data during media scan.

ajohnson30

Just a suggestion here: If the Dune is in fact older and insisting on running SMB 1.0, it actually is possible to enable SMB 1.0 on windows 10. It's not advisable, but you can.

From How to enable SMB1 on Windows 10

Run powershell, and put in

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol-Client" -All

Close powershell and reboot.

See if that changes anything. As long as you're on a private "home" network with a good firewall/router, you should be ok doing this.

HenryPorter

Yeah that is unusual, if the SMB shares were working on Windows 10 then the Dune has SMB 2.0 support at least so it should be working with the PC and NAS.

Try powering down NAS, PC, Dune and then router, now power on router first, then Dune then NAS and lastly PC, see if that does anything.

SMB has this crazy election system were one device gets to organize connections, the master browser setting I suggested made the NAS mayor of SMB town but clearly the others did not like it.

You also might want to try alternative methods to map the Dune SMB share to windows like this or this.

As for the Dune to NAS SMB connection the only thing I can suggest is remove the existing SMB share you added on the Dune and re-add it as new one with a user/pass implemented in the settings for adding the share on the Dune.

FYI if ever moving away from Dune/zappiti the OSMC Vero 4K runs a modded version of Kodi called OSMC, it handles most things you can throw at it up to 4K HDR, supports NFS shares too.

Kodi has a built in media library that can scan/read VIDEO_TS and BDMV folders, no need to re-rip everything, its pretty automatic and you can opt to save the metadata directly into the folders instead so any Kodi install can read that data during media scan.

OK. I successfully disconnected the inaccessible mapped Dune drive on windows. I then used your first link to the wizard to connect to Linux samba shares from Windows 10. Dune storage now appears on my network. I may not bother mapping it to a drive again. Sometime in the future I may make alternative use of the 3Tb hdd and remove it from the Dune anyway. I do not see the point in maintaining two separate movie databases. The Dune is obviously capable of smb 2.0.

I don't see the point in re-establishing smb 1.0 in Windows now, though I found ajohnson30's suggestion interesting nevertheless.

Since I last posted I have altered the nfs path to my movies share in zappiti to reflect the syntax in my home movies share and now everything works as I originally intended.

I now have some decisions going forward about the media player I choose, and maybe even the movie wall!! I will create a new share on the NAS for 4k video which only the new devices will access.

Using the old Dune HD Max for now was basically a 'proof of concept' exercise and with your advice I now feel more confident in moving forward on new kit.

Thanks once again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett