1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help DTS & DD Ex

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by XZiBiT, Nov 14, 2003.

1. XZiBiT

XZiBiT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Everyone

Please could somebody explain DD Ex. I have a 5.1 KEF 2005.2 setup with a Yamaha 640 Amp.

I thought Dolby Digital Ex and DTS es was only for 6.1 setups? Without the extra rear speaker is DD and DTS the only sounds formats I should play?

I ask this because my Terminator 2 DVD plays the DTS 5.1 sound track as 6.1 Matrix es.

If anyone has the time to answer these muddled questions.

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dolby Digital EX is for 6.1 but will play on 5.1 systems. The data for rear centre will be in the data stream of the Left Rear & Right Rear channels. This will be decoded with EX decoder to rear centre but if you only had a Dolby 5.1 decoder the data would be played back thru the rear Left & Right (the data would not be lost).

DTS-ES (matrix) will do similar as Dolby EX

DTS-ES (discrete) actually has seperate data for that rear centre channel as opposed to matrixed in the Rear Left & Right channels as it is with Dolby EX & DTS-ES matrix versions.

DTS-Neo 6 (music or movies) will take a stereo source & decode it to the 6 channels

Dolby Pro Logic II (music or movies) will take a stereo source & decode to the 5 channels

There are more formats still if you are interested.

3. XZiBiT

XZiBiT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thats great, thanks for the info.

Just got really confused as the Terminator 2 DVD has a DTS ES 5.1 soundtrack but will only play in 6.1 on my decoder.