1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! Dropped remote in coke!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by STANNY08, Oct 30, 2005.

1. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    Ok so the remote for my dual26"lcd screen (the one from asda that was discussed on these forums has just fallen off the side of the chair and into my glass of coke, after my effing and blinding what should i do to ensure it will still work?

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    immediatly remove the battery and leave to dry, ( a good day or two) then try sometimes at soon as it dries it rectifys the problem the only problem with coke is that is sugary so you may need to open it up and clean the contacts, just try drying it out properly. best of luck

3. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    Cheers thanks for the advice.
    and the luck

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    I remember when i bought a new TV a few years ago, and only a few days later, the girlfriend dropped the remote control into a full pint of orange squash.......the remote didn't work properly for months! :eek:

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Funnily enough , the Gadget Show did a whole feature on just this sort of thing last week . Their advice was to take out the Batteries , take it apart as much as you could , and dry /mop as much of the liquid up with a cotton bud . They dry it in an airing cupboard .
    Most of the Items he experimented on came back to life .
    Probably not much good for you by now ;) But could come in useful for someone

John

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Totally agree. I work in I.T support and often get clients who have logged faults for laptops that have drinks spilt on (and therefore in) them. First bit of advice is remove battery etc, then place parts in airing cupboard for at least one night (suggest two if possible). Then try the product and see if is working. With the remote, I'd suggest leaving as long as possible and removing the cover if it's accessible and looks like it's not going to be a problem to reassemble (do this at your own risk of not being able to reassemble of course)

More days you leave it, more likely it will have chance to dry out up to a point until completely dry inside. Trying to use the remote while still wet inside is a definite no-go as runs slight the risk of increasing the chances of damage if coke is still liquid and shorting out anything.

Cleaning contacts once done is good idea. Sugar is slightly corrosive to the remote's internals.

If it was diet coke, you'll have a better chance of a reliable working remote afterwards.

Best of luck & let us know what the result is.

:oops:

7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Unlucky you!

You cant just leave a "Coke" drenched remote to dry - it will be extremely sticky and probably not work.

Bin the batteries. Dismantle the remote. Wash the plastic casing under normal tap and dry off. Get some distilled water and a soft brush. Liberally apply the distilled water to the PCB. Dry off excess after with kitchen towel/cotton buds. Place the pcb in airing cupboard or on top of boiler housing overnight.

Reassemble the following day, insert new batts and test. If you are lucky, it will work OK - Good luck!
    John

8. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    cheers guys,
    i tried all the above, but only a couple of the buttons work and even they don't work all the time.
    I resorted to buying a universal remote which once i found the correct code works a treat and has the added bonus of controlling all my hardware.

thanks anyway fellas.

9. derickoo

derickoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    came across this tread yes guess what my remote went for a swim in, the loo, left it in my shirt pocket bending down to lift the seat yes you guessed it it went for a swim in clean bleached water, dismantled it and drying it out now, but what bugs me is it is for a Philips dvdr3480 and I reprogrammed a humax fox sat HDR DVD button but cannot get the usb function to work there is that i can see no button that will work. anyone got any idea how i can get the usb key function to work without having to purchase a new remote

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    have you checked remote Central for a discrete code?

11. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Jesus , I can remember making that post and the episode of the GS. I am sure it was not 5 years ago :eek:

12. ShadowFist

ShadowFist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been told that rice actually works pretty well for drying out wet electronics. Just pop out the batteries & place the remote/mobile/60" TV in an airtight container filled with (uncooked, obviously) rice. The rice will draw out all the moisture in a couple of days. You might wanna clean the internals first if it fell into anything other than water.

Silica gel works great too, if you happen to save the little bags that come with most electronics these days.

PS. Derickoo, I hope the remote was the only thing you fished out of the toilet that day :rolleyes: