Question Help Dolby Atmos config with Amazon Prime and Plex !!

LovingLife69

Standard Member
HI all,

Hope you are all well..

I've just added speakers to my system to enable Dolby ATMOS and I use an Apple 4K box and Nvidia TV (2017) with ARCAM 550 + Power Amp.

I understand I can get programs in ATMOS from Netflix (Netflix UHD subscription, Using Apple 4K) and Amazon Prime (Nvidia TV + Apple 4K). Can some of you kind members point me the in the direction of a Show and Episode that you know has ATMOS. So I can test ..

As i'm struggling to get it up and running and I feel my receiver is not switching correctly..

I also have a ton of Movies on Plex (Nvidia TV) which are ATMOS but only come up TRUE HD...

The only items I have working are Mission impossible Fallen on my Apple account (Dolby ATMOS) and I have Harry Potter and Jason Bourne (DTS X:MA) (Plex though Nvidia TV)

Look forward to your comments...

Merry Christmas.

J

Fleaman101

Merry Christmas!

Steve likes The Haunting of Hill House episode 6 (Netflix) to test out Atmos content as it’s basically a full 40 mins of a thunderstorm. I noticed some good stuff in Jack Ryan (Amazon, although only showed as 5.1 in the preview screen but did show as Atmos on the receiver and definitely employed the Atmos speakers). I can’t remember the episode it was most prevalent in, about mid way through in Paris, without spoilers.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
The
HI all,

Hope you are all well..

I've just added speakers to my system to enable Dolby ATMOS and I use an Apple 4K box and Nvidia TV (2017) with ARCAM 550 + Power Amp.

I understand I can get programs in ATMOS from Netflix (Netflix UHD subscription, Using Apple 4K) and Amazon Prime (Nvidia TV + Apple 4K). Can some of you kind members point me the in the direction of a Show and Episode that you know has ATMOS. So I can test ..

As i'm struggling to get it up and running and I feel my receiver is not switching correctly..

I also have a ton of Movies on Plex (Nvidia TV) which are ATMOS but only come up TRUE HD...

The only items I have working are Mission impossible Fallen on my Apple account (Dolby ATMOS) and I have Harry Potter and Jason Bourne (DTS X:MA) (Plex though Nvidia TV)

Look forward to your comments...

Merry Christmas.

J

The digital Atmos placement data is contained in a lossless True HD data stream. Your amp should have an option to select it. My Denon amp when you display the available formats shows the available options. Selecting Atmos adds the 3D audio data to the output providing output to the height speakers.

LovingLife69

Standard Member
Merry Christmas!

Steve likes The Haunting of Hill House episode 6 (Netflix) to test out Atmos content as it’s basically a full 40 mins of a thunderstorm. I noticed some good stuff in Jack Ryan (Amazon, although only showed as 5.1 in the preview screen but did show as Atmos on the receiver and definitely employed the Atmos speakers). I can’t remember the episode it was most prevalent in, about mid way through in Paris, without spoilers.
HI Fleaman101

Big Thanks for your message. I tested Haunting of Hill House on Netflix with my Apple 4K and it switched my amp straight to Atmos.. Still struggling with Amazon do i need to do anything to get the Atmos sound track on Jack Ryan (what episode was it?)

Cheers

Merry Christmas!

Fleaman101

All episodes of JR have Atmos, just make sure you’re viewing the UHD version. Unlike Netflix, Amazon have HD and UHD versions. Works with my Denon AVR from Amazon TV app (LG) via ARC and Xbox One X app to AVR. Episode 2 about 5 mins before the end has a lot of Atmos effects.

Last edited:

Fleaman101

Have to say having just tested both, Atmos effects far greater from the TV’s app than from the app on the Xbox from the same content. Strange!

LovingLife69

Standard Member
Have to say having just tested both, Atmos effects far greater from the TV’s app than from the app on the Xbox from the same content. Strange!
Hi,
I would just like to say thanks for your help with this....

I have eventually worked out what was going on.
My Arcam unit was not accepting any ATMOS Bit Streamed streams. What was coming from the Apple was something called Dolby Mat 2 which i think is a type of stream but not a true Bit stream.. After understanding this I re-flashed by firmware and reset the Receiver to defaults and hey presto its all working....
Took 2 weeks to sort out ...
Have a great Christmas

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom