1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! digital camera to DVD writer

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Michael Briant, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just found this forum - any one out there who can advise me? I have edited some 25' shows on a casablanca and have digital copies on my sony TVR3 digital camera with a firewire exit.... How do I get this into my computer with USB ports running on windows XP - so I can then burn the prog to DVD?

I am told I cannot go via the camera straight to a DVD burner.

would be very grateful for any advice.

regards

Michael

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need firewire or av inputs on your pc. get a firewire card as you are compromising quality going from different machines via tape. if its an analogue casablanca (i.e rca & svideo connections) the quality drop almost defeats the point of having a digital camcorder.

3. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I forgot to say the casablanca is digital as well... Trouble is I do not know exactly what I need to buy to get from the cassie or camera to DVD without loosing quality.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need something like this :-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JIMG/simplydv-21/202-4861918-7504627
    it says it comes with VideoStudio 4 which is a bit old now - current version is 8, but if you have Win XP you have Windows Moviemaker - make sure you have version 2 this will capture and edit your digital video. Only problem with Moviemaker is that it will not burn a DVD direct - you'll have to output an .avi and take that into Nero or whatever.

Video editing programmes like Pinnacle Studio 9 and Ulead VideoStudio 8 will capture - edit and burn to DVD. - but you still need the firewire card and firewire cable. The firewire card is very easy to fit - taking a matter of minutes - if you have ever taken the back of your computer you will know - if you havent then it's a new experience that you shouldn't be afraid of.

Do not attempt to transfer via USB - you will suffer quality loss and will regret it.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    or nearly half the price of the card above is:

www.ebuyer.co.uk
    Quickfind code: 60573
    £9.99
    £11.74 inc VAT

only difference is that there is no software supplied, but as mentioned above if you have XP then you already have good editing software.

Mark.

6. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the help - ok will get firewire card into pc - How about external DVD writer - the connections always seem to be USB - will I get a big quality drop there as well?
    regards
    Michael

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    For an external DVD write you should see no difference between useing USB2.0 or firewire as the writer is a lot slower than either of the connections.

Mark.

8. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark thanks - I went to ebay but it was gone or not there but I am bidding for another..
    very grateful for the advice -
    any suggestions on DVD writers? really do not want to spend a fortune until I know if there is really a market but I do want to give customers a good quality product - my digital tapes are good but not broadcast!

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    ebuyer not ebay! take a look at my origional post as the card listed is brand new not a second hand offer on eBay.

While on the site also have a look at their DVD writers. They cost from under £50 now and if you want external you can stick them in an external case that are also available on the web site. You should be able to get burner and case for around £100.
    I would recommend the Pioneer burners as I have one and it has worked without any disk failures for just over a year. These burners seem to be highly regarded as well in all the magazine reviews I have seen. I think the latest models are the A08/108 or are the 09's out yet?

Mark.

10. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark thanks - will go find ebuyer - and thanks for the pioneer burner advice - is it difficult to connect an internal disk in a case to the PC - just a USB cable or what?
    Very greatful for the help and advice
    regards
    Michael

11. Michael Briant

Michael Briant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been trying to get into EBUYER but it keeps locking up - sad as it seems to be the site I need but its not working for me.. can get into lots of others so I think its Ebuyer who have a problem

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Just click on the link in my post above. I have just got in no problems.

An external DVD etc in a case is just connected to the PC via a USB or firewire cable. It will almost certainly need to be plugged in to the mains as well.

Mark.