Help designing a system

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by IceAx, Aug 22, 2013.

1. IceAx

IceAx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Morning all,

My old man has asked me for some advice on a new wireless system.

He wants to rip all his cds & vinyl to something then allow it to play to a set of speakers.

My initial thought was a sonos system with all his music stored on a NAS and he can use his ipad to control it. Will this work as a set up?

No my next problem is I think he would prefer higher end to the sonos system, he has just shown me DYNAUDIO XEO 3 speakers which he liked but im not sure how / what they need to get them working.

Can some kind soul design me some sort of system that would act like a sonos but with better build / sq?

IMO i think he should stick to a sonus system as he will obviously loose some SQ with it being wireless anyway, plus he has a dedicated room for his main set up.

Thanks

Andy

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  3. IceAx

IceAx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Thanks Aclass,

He hasn't yet said the words multi room - but i do know once its set up he will want more!

Thanks for link ill have a butchers now

A

4. IceAx

IceAx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Just looked at that and it would be good for me, but I dont think its for him, as he would like to keep things minimal i think, so no full size amp etc.

Would you be able to store the music on a NAS drive with this system?

Thanks
    A

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes just looked at the XEO and understand better what he is trying to do I think.

If you are interested in teh Pure range let me know as we are in the process of setting ourselves up as a partner, and I would like to get some customers to review teh products independently, and can offer some very good prices.

I will look at some other solutions for your main request andget back to you

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Looks like there is two elements to what you are trying to achieve

1. NAS/Media Server
    2. Wireless Speakers linked to the Media Server

The XEO does part of this but isnt a control system just a Wireless sender and wireless speakers.

The sender simply connects to an Amplifier/PC/IPOD etc and wouldnt connect to a NAS/media Server box directly.

You would need a network media Player such as the Marantz7004

Marantz UK | NA7004

There are plenty of other players but just using this as an example.

7. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Yes, many peeps have this working very successfully.

The Xeo Transmitter sends the feed to the speakers and had an S/PDIF optical input, so you'd just need to connect the S/PDIF out of a Sonos CONNECT to the Xeo Transmitter.

What's your budget?

CDs are a bore to rip, needle-drops for vinyl are mind-crushingly boring to do.

8. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi Andy

As you and presumably your father are concerned about sound quality, what is the reason for not just adding a hifi seperate network audio player (or swapping it for a redundant CD player may be) for streaming to his current system, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, it does not follow that by streaming wirelessly you'll loose any sound quality. There are many bit perfect solutions for getting at least CD quality music by wifi to your kit.

9. IceAx

IceAx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    amcluesent - Thanks for the response, old man is retired so ripping stuff will keep him out of trouble, budget wise nothing set in stone (dont tell mother) sub 2k?

Cebolla - Thanks also, some valid points. He wants this system in the lounge ( to start with) full size system is not an option here. I thought some quality would be lost over wi-fi - his hearing wouldnt pick it up any way lol.

Aclass Technology - Pure range would be good for me i think, not the old man. I too would like it to hook up to my current NAS system though - this is the key thing as i dont have a pc / server on 24/7 and no music is held on my ipad.

Thanks Folks

A

10. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    At least you've got a NAS so you should be at least halfway there. Hopefully it's one running (or capable of running) a decent UPnP/DLNA server and then you've got all your bases covered as far as choosing the playback device is concerned.

How about a wireless streaming mini/micro system for the lounge?

Most if not all streamers should now come with their own free app for iOS & Android, BTW and depending on what streaming method the player supports, there are also plenty of aftermarket apps to choose from to control the playback.

11. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Naim UnitiQute 2 and Monitor Audio RX2? Obviously an original UnitiQute 2nd hand will be better VfM

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The Marantz Streamer is considerably lower cost and now supports AirPlay.Coupled with the XEo wireless Speakers you father likes would work nicely together.

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,219
    Firstly, you won't lose any sound quality by streaming over wifi. If coverage is poor or congested then there may be issue with buffering. This can be solved by homeplugs.

Does he really want wireless speakers or is he just confusing them with streaming?

I'd be inclined to stick with the Sonos both from an ease of use point of view & for you, minimal support! If he wants the wireless Dynaudios then as AMC said, a Sonos Connect will do the job but to run over wifi I think it still needs a Bridge to be connected to the router. Another reason to use homeplugs.

For a cheaper all-in-one solution the successor to Marantz's MCR603 (MCR610) should be released next month which I believe adds gapless playback. The original was well regarded.

14. IceAx

IceAx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Thanks chaps, i really think im going to get him to try a sonos system, I think it ticks all of the boxes (will just have to see what it sounds like.)

Thanks again

A

EDIT: The marantz however may have thrown a small spanner in works ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  15. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I set my parents up with Sonos and they absolutely love it. The other benefit for your dad is that if he doesn't fancy the hassle of ripping the vinyl, a Spotify subscription will give him access to a massive library, even if quality is not as high as home-ripped files. :smashin:

16. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,219
    As I say, the original was well regarded & supposedly able to drive much better speakers than you might expect for an all-in-one at the price point. The major weakness for some though was the lack of gapless playback, which the new one is supposed to solve.

Of course if gapless isn't an issue for him then there may be bargains to be had on the outgoing model.

17. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,219
    Looks like the new Marantz may be available now as there's a thread appeared on WHF.