1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Depseratly Needed Sony 1080 Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MATT JENNER, Feb 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I have recently bought the 1080 amp, done all the usual wiring up etc, i have bi wire speakers (Acoustic Energy Aesprit) but join the wires together when it comes to the amp end , as the hcc magazine shows,
    well everything has been fine for the last 4 weeks, until i moved it, as i did a cinema upgrade, now i get the following problem

- I will be watching Star Wars / Men in black 2 etc, and in the film it goes from a quite scene to a loud dramatic scene,
    for example

in star wars phantom menace, where lord Sidious says "begin landing your troups" the scene goes to the loud shot of the ships landing on naboo, the amp then cuts out FLASHING PROTECTION,
    i switch the amp off and then on again, and it is fine, until maybe a bit later when the next loud noise comes up, i have the sound level on - 36 so it is not mega loud, and even then the reviewon the amp said it can cope with high volume like Saving Private ryan etc.
    So any help would be appreciated

Matt

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It sounds like the overload protection.
    As it was ok before the move a couple of things spring to mind...
    Have you moved it to a location where it's less well ventilated than it was?
    Have you rechecked the wiring to may sure there's not the odd stray stand of cable?
    Are you using speakers under 8ohms, maybe you moved the impedence switch back to 8ohms during the move.
    Something does seem wrong, i use this amp and have no problems playing the discs you mentioned at -24dB, suggesting it is capable.

spence

3. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Spence
    thanx for the reply,

I take on board your comments,
    but if it is speaker wire or wrong oms setting why is it that the amp only cuts out when loud sounds come on with the film,
    with regard to moving to a less vetilated area,

i have posted my cabinet etc, i have to admit before the cabinet was in front of one of those room air vents, (air brick) where as now it is near the radiator,
    but again i could understand it cutting out an hour into the film when it has had a chance to warm up, but not straight away at the begining,

i will check all the cables though

thanx again for reply

Matt

4. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    To produce loud noises from low impedence speakers you need lots of current. If the 1080 cannot produce it, it'll cut out. If you don't have speakers under 8ohms then you can probably rule this out.
    As for stray wires, a dead short should cause the amp to trip out straight away, but the odd stray filament of wire could cause, i think, a trip that is load related.

Like i say wires and ventilation are the first things to check. If that doesn't solve it i'd try the 1080 back where it used to work without cutting out...if it's still not right return it.

spence

EDIT: If you're 1080 is still in the glass fronted cabinet it looks like it should have enough breathing room to me...nice room btw

6. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this on my 930, when I was trying out bi-wiring.
    It was caused by shoddy speaker wire connections (at the receiver end).

Mike.

7. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanx Mike and Spence

I will re do the speaker wire, the stuff i bought was froma ceidia member it is white with 4 strands and is flat for under carpets etc,

i will re do the ends and that should make a differnce, thanx for taking the time to reply and help

Matt