1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Denon AVR3803 how do I

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by potshot, Aug 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Up convert the picture to component from my sky+ box via the the denon. I have followed the instructions but only get a blue screen. If I can do it it will be a big improvement on my RGB picture from the sky+ box.

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can your display/TV accept a Component Signal? The upconversion won't gain you any improvement in the signal quality, it just changes the signal type.

3. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I have got component input on my television toshiba PF2. I thought it gave a better signal and the component signal was higher quality than the RGB or S-vidoe.

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can do if it's already in that format to start with e.g component straight from the dvd player into the TV. All upconversion does is just change the format from one to another, it can't increase the quality of the original signal.

S-Video is very close to component anyway and can often be superior to RGB.

5. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I have pro scan from my dvd player, but I want to go to s-video. Problem is my s-video imput is on the front of the television. Maybe s-video to scart. I don't know but I want a way to improve the sky+ picture.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    A lot depends on the way the display device handles the various types of input, but conventional wisdom would put component slightly ahead of RGB SCART, with s-video behind both.

Potshot - take the s-video from the Sky+ box into a s-video input on the 3803 - say TV. Then connect the component out from the 3803 to the component in on your TV. Select TV on the 3803 and you should see the picture on the telly.

As others have said, it will be s-video quality and I would be very surprised if the RGB SCART input on the Tosh didn't give better results - unless the Tosh is not good at scart RGB? In which case take the scart from the Sky+ through a JS Tech converter box (ca £150 :( ) to the component on the telly.

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-Video to Scart is an option if the TV can receive an S-Video signal via it's scart sockets. A lot of the problem with Sky is that the majority of the channels are fairly low bitrate. You can't really do a great deal as the source is a bit crap to start with. The later TV's/Plasmas etc just show that up more.

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    potshot - why don't you connect your DVD player to the 3803 using the component connections and connect Sky+ to the 3802 using s-video. Then just have one component connection going from the 3803 monitor out to your TV. The 3803 will switch your video signals for you and s-vid from Sky+ will be upconverted to component whilst maintaining your ability to have prog scan from DVD on component.

You won't know if Sky+ is any better quality this way until you try it.

9. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Thanks for the reply's everybody, I will have a play around with it and what happens.

Mike