HELP. Denon AVR won't turn on. Flashing red light

PWRR

Novice Member
Hi all.

I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a Denon AVR X4400H which is 3 years old and typically 1 month out of warranty when the problem occurred last night! :(
My rear bookshelf speakers are blown. I think. Whenever i watch movies and seemingly only movies, i get a crazy amount of distorted low rumbling bass. Feels like the house is shaking during explosions in movies! Anyway, i was watching a film last night and instead of turning the volume down every time the action got loud i just decided to unplug the darn things. And that's where the problem started! When i pulled out one of the banana plugs (the negative) it accidently touched the LF terminal below it while the positive was still plugged into the HF terminal. I saw a minute blue spark as it touched. Nothing immediately happened but as the film went on my AVR randomly turned itself off. I turned it back on and it was fine for several minutes and off it went again. Each with the red flashing standby light on. Eventually it was turning off more and more faster and now it no longer turns back on. Well, it turns back on for about 2 seconds before shutting off again with the flashing red light. Seems like some sort of protection mode. I noticed the top was extremely hot. It's normally very hot but i thought that was normal. Last night it did feel slightly hotter than normal though.
I unplugged it and left it off all night and the problem is still there. I tried the factory reset but that did nothing.
I took the cover off and saw lots of white stuff around what looks like capacitors. Is this normal? Doesn't look normal to me but what do i know. I prodded it with a knife and the white stuff was rock hard. If it's new then it could've solidified over night.

So my question is, is this white stuff normal or has something clearly failed. And while i'm here, would this have anything to do with my rear speakers blowing? They sound fine when i blast music out of them. It just seems on movies they sound like they want to explode.

I will post some pics and i can also post a video of my speakers if anyone needs to see the cone moving the way it does.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Jay.

Attachments

• IMG_2664[1].JPG
    IMG_2664[1].JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2665[1].JPG
    IMG_2665[1].JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2666[2].JPG
    IMG_2666[2].JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2667[1].JPG
    IMG_2667[1].JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 37

PWRR

Novice Member
After some more research on google it turns out that the white stuff around the capacitors is just adhesive and perfectly normal so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas? :(

After some more research on google it turns out that the white stuff around the capacitors is just adhesive and perfectly normal so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas? :(
Well if your speakers output music ok, then clearly they are not blown. Did the distorted bass on movies just suddenly start recently ? What sub are you using and what xover settings? When was the last time you ran Audyssey? What levels are your rears set at? What speakers do you have?

As far as the short is concerned, if that has damaged the amp, then it would not be a warranty fix anyway, as it would be damage caused by yourself, not a manufacturing issue.

PWRR

Novice Member
Well if your speakers output music ok, then clearly they are not blown. Did the distorted bass on movies just suddenly start recently ? What sub are you using and what xover settings? When was the last time you ran Audyssey? What levels are your rears set at? What speakers do you have?

As far as the short is concerned, if that has damaged the amp, then it would not be a warranty fix anyway, as it would be damage caused by yourself, not a manufacturing issue.
Hi CJ.

I ended up biting the bullet and taking it to a repair place this morning. 4-5 week turn around though :(

As for the rear speakers, they are Keff Q100's and they have been making the horrible noise for about 5 months. Owned them about 3 years. I used to think it was the new set of atmos speakers in the ceiling that was rattling against a joist at certain low frequencies until one day it drove me so crazy i put my ear up next to it and realised the noise was coming from the rear bookshelf speaker!

Not sure what levels everything was set at. I just went by what the Audyessy setup told me. The rears were set to "small". No sub. I get plenty of bass from my B&O's at the front and Keff Q600c in the centre. It's also set up that there is no sub present.

I've only ever done the Audyessy setup up twice in the 3 years of ownership. Last time was about a year ago.

Hopefully all will be resolved when it's back from the repair shop (a Denon approved place).

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom