1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Denon AVR 1000 -Protect-

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mantis, Dec 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure if this goes here or not, Im hoping it does, Im new to the whole difference in systems thing. Its a Denon AVR 1000 surround sound receiver that My dad has had for alog time, and for xmas he is giving it to me along with 2 really tall Klipsh Forte 2' speakers, 2 small JBL speakers, and a panasonic center speaker, along with the receiver. Well the receiver hasnt worked in about 4 months because one day I went to turn it on and it came up like normal, then after it passes through the scrolling things it says Protect and it has an A in the bottom right corner. Im a computer guy and Im just guessing that this is an error code of some sort. Can someone help me out with figuring out how to fix this thing? Or if I would take it to somewhere howmuch would it cost me to get it fixed and what do you think is wrong with it.

At first I thought it was a blown fuse, but I opened it up and checked, and all the fuses are good, and no blown capacitors or anything. I dont know what would have caused it to go into protection mode but I hope I can get it fixed soon :) Thanks in advance guys!

2. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on pls. :(

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Protect mode usually means there's something causing a short circuit eg a speaker wire is shorting or the amp is overheating.

Check the speaker connections, make sure no +ve and -ve wires are touching.

5. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theres no wires on the thing at all. Its completely unhooked. Would it be safe to take it apart and just use duster to clean it all. Is that the only thing that can cause protect mode?

6. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I just hooked it up to power and unscrewed all the terminal thingson the back and blew around them with duster and there are no wires other than the power hooked up to the system.

Is there any button code to reset it or anything?

7. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump.

8. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a reset code or anything?

9. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Do you have the manual? It's rather old so a quick Google is not finding anything...

10. Mantis

Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I dont have the manual :(

Im thinking of taking it to an electronics repair shop, how much do you think it would cost to fix it?

11. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just a guess: one of the output transistors has gone short circuit, putting a heavy DC offset on the speaker outputs. This will smoke a woofer so the amp is fitted with DC offset protection which disconnects the speakers - and lights the protect lamp.

If this is the case, it should only take a 30 minutes tod diagnose the fault. It might take an hour to replace the faulty device assuming a suitable equivalent can be found. Say 2 hours labour plus the cost of the device and any damaged resistors around it.

I've no idea what your local shop charges for labour, but the components will not be expensive.

Edit: just searched the Denon web-site - no mention of an AVR1000 even in discontinued products.

12. Len Charnock

Len Charnock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR-1000. Originally I had a state of the art home cinema set up, (15 years ago) but now I basically just use it now to drive my two Tannoys on my HiFi system as the 70w per channel seems to be perfect for them. It goes into protect mode if you short circuit a speaker connection but also if you power up and turn up the volume without any front speakers connected. (Ideally should be 8ohms). If that isn't it, then the system has probably blown a transistor which is difficult to repair unless you are into electronics. Denon don't recommend repairs on a unit this old and they suggest a replacement such as their AVR1706 or AVR1906. Depends if you want the 7.1 Dolby surround facility, but if you are just using it as an amplifier, you can save a lot of money and get better results just getting a dedicated amp. Alternatively, look on eBay for a similar AVR model, there are loads sold regularly.